Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Check engine light on my 2014 GL 450

15K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  whatever 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

New to this forum, I'm just wondering if anyone's heard of a brand-new GL 450 issue with the check engine light. I just leased my brand-new GL450, on December 17, and two days later the check engine light went on. I took it to the to the dealer three days after that, and of course the engine light went off when I showed up there. They told me they couldn't analyze the problem on their computers without the check engine light being on. Now this past Sunday the light is on again when I first turned the engine on in the AM. I'm going to take it back the dealer on the 27th. Hopefully the light will stay on long enough for them to analyze and diagnose the problem and fix it. Is this a common problem with the 2014 GL 450s? It certainly seems ridiculous for this to happen on an almost 100k auto.....Thanks!

#4 ·
I think the dealer is doing a bit of BS. Almost always the CEL will throw a code that will be recorded in the car computer - even after the light is off. The date/time/miles the light came on will also be recorded. All they have to do is hook up to the car with their computer and have a look.

#6 ·
Next time when the check engine light goes on, video tape it and show it to the dealer. I find it useful when I explain the issues I have with my GL and they can't just say "it's fine".

Mine is older, 2010 GL and I had the check engine light on two weeks ago, with the engine sputtering. I pulled over and turned off the ignition and turned it right back on - it's fine. The dealer said there were several folks with the same issue and recommended to use fuel cleaner. They think it's the ethanol build up in the engine. Since your car is brand new, this is not the issue for you, but I thought I'd just mention this for other readers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.