Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

GL450 Airmatic/Air Suspension Question

281K views 110 replies 49 participants last post by  Mbrocambro 
#1 ·
So I’m recently became a new owner of a 2010 GL450. When I park it I hear a release of air and the suspension like adjust a little. So I have been researching this to see if its normal. I see a lot of threads in regards to the air suspension leak/failure but none of them really answer my question. I believe the air relief is normal from what I read but is it suppose to adjust slightly after parked, it’s very minimal but enough where I can feel it and see it move. When I park it should it remain the height I park it at or is this a sign of a leak?

Thanks in advance.

#6 ·
Hey Guys...

I have a 2007 GL450 and recently the front end started dropping all the way down when parked for at least an hour or so. It never did this before and always stayed at the same height. I would sometimes hear the little air hissing/adjustments but never drop down to the wheels. Once I get in and start the vehicle, it immediatley raises to the proper height. Anyone else experienced this? Is this a leak in the system?

#7 ·
Yes it's a leak - most likely due to one of the air springs developing a split in the rubber casing. Best to get it fixed asap so you minimize the damage being done to the compressor running all the time to keep the bad spring pumped up. Lots of stories in this forum about how the compressor needed to be replaced at the same time as the bad springs because it wore out keeping a bad spring inflated.

If you want to do it yourself, look up Arnotts - they have replacement parts for way less than MB. You can reasonably assume that all 4 springs are close to failing and should do them all at once.

#8 ·
Air Suspension Failing - Randomly

Weird thing is... I'm not so sure it is an actual leak!

It is totally random. Sometimes I can park my GL450 for a couple days before driving again and the air suspension works properly keeping the vehicle at the proper height. Then, on other days, I can park it for a couple of hours and the front end will drop down to the wheels.

It's almost like an electrical issue with a switch saying to lower the front sometimes and then other times it doesn't.

Anyone else with similar problems, please advise!

thx, Mike

#11 ·
Weird thing is... I'm not so sure it is an actual leak!

It is totally random. Sometimes I can park my GL450 for a couple days before driving again and the air suspension works properly keeping the vehicle at the proper height. Then, on other days, I can park it for a couple of hours and the front end will drop down to the wheels.

It's almost like an electrical issue with a switch saying to lower the front sometimes and then other times it doesn't.

Anyone else with similar problems, please advise!

thx, Mike
I have same problem. Changed rear air bags due to a leak in the springtime. This fall, front right corner started dropping down, but only on occasion. Sometimes vehicle can sit for several days no problem, other times will drop in one hour. Maybe a sticky valve or something related to sensor/electronics of suspension. I would change front shocks (with aftermarket parts) if I knew that would fix it, but still not convinced it is a leak. :confused:

#9 ·
How dangerous is it to accidentally bump the tiptronic paddles at say 70mph

I was recently driving my GL450 at about 40mph somehow i mistakenly bumped the paddle on the right-back-side of the steering wheel....u can hear the poor engine screamed and nose dived...the transmission had shifted to gear one from probably seven... This is obviously not good for the engine. My immediate concern is that what if driving at about 70mph and this unintended mistake happened, this can result to a fatal damage to the transmission...

Does anyone one know what can be done to disable the paddle especially during highway travels or am I just overreacting?

#12 ·
Whenever it drops, it is both wheels in the front and never just one. Sometimes the back will drop too! As soon as I press the door unlock button on my key, the air suspension will begin to raise it back to normal levels. Could this be some type of electronic failure? If it was a real leak, it should be dropping down ever time I turn off the engine. But as I said earlier, it is random. This has me really puzzled.

#16 ·
I have the same problem with my 08 gl450. I ordered new front shocks from arnott. I will probably install then next weekend. I will let you know if it fixes the problem. Fingers crossed!
please let me know if you have figured anything out.
I have been monitoring mine since I started this thread and I believe my situation is normal, nothing has changed or gotten worse since then. Since I have three vehicles the GL450 sometimes sit for a month and it stays at the same height.

#18 ·
Air shocks

From what I've read, I think it starts out with an intermittent fail. Then gets worse. Also you compressor has to work extra hard and eventually will fail too. (If shocks are not replaced) Anyway, I ordered new front set from arnott and will be installing them this weekend. I let everyone know if it fixed the issue.

#19 · (Edited)
From what I've read, I think it starts out with an intermittent fail. Then gets worse. Also you compressor has to work extra hard and eventually will fail too. (If shocks are not replaced) Anyway, I ordered new front set from arnott and will be installing them this weekend. I let everyone know if it fixed the issue.
I may be right behind you as this has happened to me on the passenger rear.

Did you consider OEM or comfortable with Arnott? OEM is twice the price! What do you think we get for 2x the price?

Also, do you plan to lift the entire front end at once, or do one at a time?

#20 · (Edited)
I ordered a set of front air springs from Arnott's also. I opened up a box to take a peak, and the air springs looked really good. I will put them on this weekend and hope it cures the problem. What's even better, I used a special promo code given to BenzWorld members by Arnott's that takes off an additional 10% off the price. For my 2007 GL, it was $690 for two air springs minus 10% leaving me to pay $636. That is with shipping charges ($15.35)already added in. The dealer quoted me $2900 to replace both front struts. That, my friends is bull$#!*. Once I get them installed, I will provide feedback.

Promotion Code MBSAVE12

Mike W.
Charlotte, NC

#21 ·
New shocks installed!

Alright fellas, the installation of the arnott front shocks was a success.
I finished up around 6 lastnight. The front end has not dropped at all.
I was worried that the problem might be something other than the shocks because it didn't drop every time I parked the car.
I also went ahead and replaced my front rotors/pads and my air filters while I was at it. The shocks were a piece of cake. The brakes weren't too bad, but getting the old rotors off was very tough. I had to pound on the for about 15 minutes to get them to break loose. (2008 gl450 original rotors)
Also, I too used the mbsave12 at arnott. Saved $75

This is a great forum. I would have never attempted any of this if it wasn't for the people who took the time to share there knowledge. A big thanks to them!!

#22 ·
I'm glad your installation went well. I can't say the same for mine. First off, the air springs were relatively easy to install onto the strut once I found the right combination of tools to remove the top nut. After carefully installing the both front air springs, I followed the directions to let the vehicle down and inflated both air springs. They both filled with air normally and leveled off at the correct vehicle height. At this point, I removed the floor jacks and removed a hydraulic jack used for lifting the vehicle. Since I did not run my GL for two weeks prior, I decided to let the vehicle run while I put up all my tools. As I was cleaning up (15 min later) I heard a very loud bang. After a quick duck and cover, I realized it was not someone shooting at me, but instead the driver side airbag blew the brass ring clean off of the air spring housing. Arnott was very nice about the situation and quickly sent me a replacement via UPS. I put the replacement air spring on the driver side only to realize that the passenger side had blown a small leak around that same brass ring at the top of our spring housing. Again, Arnott was sympathetic to my bad luck and sent a second replacement for the passenger side. After installing this replacement, I was very reluctant and hesitant about driving on these new air springs. So far, I have driven 1 1/2 weeks with no problems- thank God. In my opinion, these air springs are nowhere near the quality level of the OEM air springs, but they are much cheaper and Arnott is willing to stand behind their product with a warranty. As of tomorrow, I'll be ordering two more air springs for the rear since I can tell they are getting ready to go bad. Hopefully, my experience will not happen to anyone else as it was very frustrating removing and installing each strut twice.

#23 ·
Air Spring Suspension Issues

We own a GL 450 and S550, both 2007; and we are very happy with them. Recently my wife (the driver of the GL) noticed that the car was sagging when left parked for sometime. We took it to our Mercedes guy near Philadelphia (where we live) and he told us that we had a rear leak on the driver side. He changed it. I drive the car from the repair place and the next morning my wife tells me that she went to start the car in the garage and it is leaning on one side (the passenger side being the one sagging). I went back to the Mercedes guy and you guessed it, the rear passenger side air spring had started to leak that day. We decided to have all of them replaced. The cost was a little below $2000, but in my view that was money well spent, the car is driving like new again, just gliding on the road despite having 104K miles on it. We were thinking of getting rid of it but I think we are going to keep it. Great car, this was the first major repair we have had to do. Up to this point, its been changing the tires, oil changes, beaks, and inspections. That's it, since 2007. Actually, I have had a major transmission leak on the S550 at about 70K, but nothing on the GL. I thought I would share.

Regards

GBK

#31 ·
one question to GBK

wondering why it cost $2300 for replacing the two front struts of my GL450 yr-2007 at MB dealer, for my case, the remanufactured air suspension strut is costing $820 each.

while for your case it cost less than $2000 for four struts.

That sounds a big difference.

Thanks a lot for your help,

We own a GL 450 and S550, both 2007; and we are very happy with them. Recently my wife (the driver of the GL) noticed that the car was sagging when left parked for sometime. We took it to our Mercedes guy near Philadelphia (where we live) and he told us that we had a rear leak on the driver side. He changed it. I drive the car from the repair place and the next morning my wife tells me that she went to start the car in the garage and it is leaning on one side (the passenger side being the one sagging). I went back to the Mercedes guy and you guessed it, the rear passenger side air spring had started to leak that day. We decided to have all of them replaced. The cost was a little below $2000, but in my view that was money well spent, the car is driving like new again, just gliding on the road despite having 104K miles on it. We were thinking of getting rid of it but I think we are going to keep it. Great car, this was the first major repair we have had to do. Up to this point, its been changing the tires, oil changes, beaks, and inspections. That's it, since 2007. Actually, I have had a major transmission leak on the S550 at about 70K, but nothing on the GL. I thought I would share.

Regards

GBK

#27 ·
I had all 4 airbags fail within 3 months period. If you know that your airbags weren't replaced for a long time (60K miles in my case), then replace all 4 of them. In my case the air distributor had to be replaced as well due to rust inside. It's better to replace airbags as soon as you notice one of them loosing level drastically during driving and restoring level when vehicle stops. Otherwise other air suspension components get corroded or overloaded.

#29 ·
Suspension is dropping on front and back now

I was having a problem with the front right dropping but not every time I drove the car. The dealer could not find the problem.

I replaced the right front with an Arnott front air spring.

This morning both the front and the back on the right side are down. Started the car an both came back up. I must have something else wrong.

Any ideas where to look next.

Thanks

#30 ·
I was having a problem with the front right dropping but not every time I drove the car. The dealer could not find the problem.

I replaced the right front with an Arnott front air spring.

This morning both the front and the back on the right side are down. Started the car an both came back up. I must have something else wrong.

Any ideas where to look next.

Thanks
test the air hose fitting to make sure no leak. I had Arnott installed but not happy with quality. I couldn't even return them as the 30 days policy and the core problem. I'm in the middle of replacing them with Mercedes remanufactured oem . Tested drive after one was completed, the difference is day and nite

#32 ·
MB dealer charged me $1250 for each new front strut and air bag assembly that had new bilstein shocks. If you change just air bag, then the cost will be much lower, though MB dealer changed everything in order to guarantee their work for two years. As usual.

#34 ·
So last week when my wife called me to report an air leak sound from the front driver side, I was a little pissed off. She was already in "I hate this POS" mode, which made matters worse. I was praying for a quick and easy fix to a tire. I dropped by her work, and immediately noticed the front driver side suspension bottomed out. This was no tire problem, this was suspension. Since I drove the GL the day before, I knew this was indeed a new issue. I was able to pinpoint the leak rather quickly, and it was easily accessible from the wheel well.

I couldn't afford down time on a vehicle this week. So while I need to order parts, I also needed to get this thing running acceptably. I went straight to the tire plug kit in my back hatch to see what I had. Throwing in a plug isn't really an option in a parking lot during lunch, but that epoxy sure was looking good. So I marked the hole and went to grab a bite to eat while the system deflated. I came back, threw a finger full of epoxy in on the airbag, and hoped for the best. Three hours later when MrsDonkeys finished work, she said it inflated just fine.

I've had a myriad of issues with this vehicle, and at 70k miles, I've spent more money on repairs for this vehicle than every other vehicle I've ever owned, combined. However, much like my Russian motorcycle, I ignore the crappy quality because I enjoy driving it. However, ignoring the costs of maintaining it is becoming difficult. I had every intention of ordering new air shocks from Arnott as soon as I got home that day, but forgot. After a few days of the vehicle running great, I'm now reluctant to spend the money. So I decided to throw a couple extra tubes of epoxy in the tire plug kit and see how this shakes out.

We are a high mileage family, both driving over 60 miles roundtrip to work, so if I have another failure, it should be sooner rather than later.

#37 ·
I have a 2007 GL450. Both front wheels have lowered and will not raise. They went down at the exact same time. I checked both air bags and they are fine. I hear the air compressor kick in when I try to raise it. but it wont raise. Then, after about 2 minutes, the error message comes up on my display saying "Lift Malfunction". I seems to me my issue is more like a blockage or something. Because the compressor is trying to pump the air but just gives up. Once, I got a second error message saying pump was over heating. Or, maybe its a fuse issue... But I don't think its that because the pump is getting electricity and trying to work. If all else fails, I just want to be armed with enough information so I know what im talking about if I have to take to dealer so they don't screw me over. If this were a tractor, I would just fix it.... Someone, please help.

#38 · (Edited)
Have you had a recent history of the front wheels sagging and then coming back up when the engine is switched on ? And do the rears go up and down if you adjust the height control?

If both of those are true, you may have both front springs leaking to the point where the pump cant raise them any more, or the valve assembly that connects to the pump and distributes air to each spring may have failed and not be sending pressure to the front wheels. If you have one spring that's now leaking so bad that the pump cant raise pressure, that may stop the other slightly leaky spring from raising - which could explain why both fronts appear to have failed at the same time.

If the rears don't raise at all when you adjust the height control, the pump may have failed internally and not be pumping air or you have a leak in the air lines between the pump and the control valve (including the pressure reservoir that holds a supply of pressurized air. The valve or valve controller may have failed completely but it seems that's pretty rare.

Either way if the pump runs for too long it will overheat - but it will also eventually damage the plastic parts in the pump, which means the pump then has to be replaced.

If you wanted to do some basic troubleshooting you could try taking off the air pipe to the front spring and see if you are getting pressure - but be careful not to break off the fitting on the top of the spring..

The most common issue is leaking springs....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.