GL450 Airmatic/Air Suspension Question - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > X164 GL-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: GL550 2010 Smoke Grey, GL450 2007 Pewter on Macadamia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecureNC View Post
Weird thing is... I'm not so sure it is an actual leak!

It is totally random. Sometimes I can park my GL450 for a couple days before driving again and the air suspension works properly keeping the vehicle at the proper height. Then, on other days, I can park it for a couple of hours and the front end will drop down to the wheels.

It's almost like an electrical issue with a switch saying to lower the front sometimes and then other times it doesn't.

Anyone else with similar problems, please advise!

thx, Mike
I have same problem. Changed rear air bags due to a leak in the springtime. This fall, front right corner started dropping down, but only on occasion. Sometimes vehicle can sit for several days no problem, other times will drop in one hour. Maybe a sticky valve or something related to sensor/electronics of suspension. I would change front shocks (with aftermarket parts) if I knew that would fix it, but still not convinced it is a leak.
toadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: Green 2007 GL450
Whenever it drops, it is both wheels in the front and never just one. Sometimes the back will drop too! As soon as I press the door unlock button on my key, the air suspension will begin to raise it back to normal levels. Could this be some type of electronic failure? If it was a real leak, it should be dropping down ever time I turn off the engine. But as I said earlier, it is random. This has me really puzzled.

Mike White
Charlotte, NC
SecureNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
How do you go about raising the payload capacities (GVM) on these things, is it difficult? can it be done?. they are at 665kg 1466lb's. want/need more.
ether333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2013
Same problem

I have the same problem with my 08 gl450. I ordered new front shocks from arnott. I will probably install then next weekend. I will let you know if it fixes the problem. Fingers crossed!
please let me know if you have figured anything out.
Ttownplinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

same problem

Im wondering if it could have anything to do with the issue?...Name:  suspension air compressor valve.jpg
Views: 3753
Size:  21.6 KB
suspension air comprressor valve.
part # 2513200058OE

also there are suspension sensors..
part # w0133-1830313

Last edited by Ttownplinker; 01-14-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: ?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 2010 GL450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttownplinker View Post
I have the same problem with my 08 gl450. I ordered new front shocks from arnott. I will probably install then next weekend. I will let you know if it fixes the problem. Fingers crossed!
please let me know if you have figured anything out.
I have been monitoring mine since I started this thread and I believe my situation is normal, nothing has changed or gotten worse since then. Since I have three vehicles the GL450 sometimes sit for a month and it stays at the same height.
blk_benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
a2j
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: '08 GL320CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecureNC View Post
Weird thing is... I'm not so sure it is an actual leak!

It is totally random. Sometimes I can park my GL450 for a couple days before driving again and the air suspension works properly keeping the vehicle at the proper height. Then, on other days, I can park it for a couple of hours and the front end will drop down to the wheels.

It's almost like an electrical issue with a switch saying to lower the front sometimes and then other times it doesn't.

Anyone else with similar problems, please advise!

thx, Mike
Recently I started observing the same (random) issue. Just one (same) rear wheel. But just because it happens only on one wheel, makes me think its actual leak. Why it does not leak all the time? Not sure.

Could this be something other than a bad airbag?
a2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Air shocks

From what I've read, I think it starts out with an intermittent fail. Then gets worse. Also you compressor has to work extra hard and eventually will fail too. (If shocks are not replaced) Anyway, I ordered new front set from arnott and will be installing them this weekend. I let everyone know if it fixed the issue.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 2007 GL 450, 2001 ML430 (traded-in), 2003 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttownplinker View Post
From what I've read, I think it starts out with an intermittent fail. Then gets worse. Also you compressor has to work extra hard and eventually will fail too. (If shocks are not replaced) Anyway, I ordered new front set from arnott and will be installing them this weekend. I let everyone know if it fixed the issue.
I may be right behind you as this has happened to me on the passenger rear.

Did you consider OEM or comfortable with Arnott? OEM is twice the price! What do you think we get for 2x the price?

Also, do you plan to lift the entire front end at once, or do one at a time?

Last edited by Endeavor; 01-17-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: Green 2007 GL450
I ordered a set of front air springs from Arnott's also. I opened up a box to take a peak, and the air springs looked really good. I will put them on this weekend and hope it cures the problem. What's even better, I used a special promo code given to BenzWorld members by Arnott's that takes off an additional 10% off the price. For my 2007 GL, it was $690 for two air springs minus 10% leaving me to pay $636. That is with shipping charges ($15.35)already added in. The dealer quoted me $2900 to replace both front struts. That, my friends is bull$#!*. Once I get them installed, I will provide feedback.

Promotion Code MBSAVE12

Mike W.
Charlotte, NC
texas008 likes this.

Last edited by SecureNC; 01-17-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to add PROMO code
SecureNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > X164 GL-Class