LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
DIY: Procedure to change the front air shocks.

At 55,000 miles (after warranty expired of course), my GL started to exhibit the usual signs of airmatic failure. After parking over night, the front end would sink until there was no space in between the fender and tire. This would happen intermittently at first. The frequency started to slowly increase and eventually, it would sink every time it was parked. Time to change the POS shocks. Online, they went for around $1000 a side but through the power of this forum, I discovered Air Suspension Kits, Air Shocks, Suspension Parts, Struts - Arnott Industries and was able to buy the refurnished ones much cheaper. I had a minor issue with the order and arnott promptly took care of the problem. I wrote an email to them Christmas eve not expecting a response until after the holidays but I received a reply that day stating that they would take care of the issue. Unbelievable customer service. I highly recommend them and will order the rears from them when, not if they go out.

On to the procedure.

1. Loosen the lug nuts on the side you’re working on and jack up the car at the jacking point. After the car is jacked up and on stands, remove the lug nuts and remove the wheel.

2. Remove the air hose from the top of the shock. Loosen it slowly and once you hear hissing, stop and let it depressurized fully. Then remove it. You can tape the end to prevent debris from going into the line.

3. I went ahead and removed the strut bar. It may not be necessary but it was quick to remove and gave me a ton more room to work around. Remove this box first and the strut bar came out with 4 bolts and a 10mm on top.

4. Break the tie that holds the brake line on the strut. You cannot salvage this as it will be very brittle. Mine on one side was already broken. Remember to get some replacement ties and re-tie them back on during installation. Once it is broken, you can rotate the brakes lines out of the way.

5. Remove the lower shock-mounting bolt. If you have an air gun, it will make the job a lot easier. If not, I hope you have a big breaker bar.

6. Remove the link nut. These things are notorious for spinning and not loosening. Again, if you have an air gun, it will come right off. If you do not have an air gun, you can use a torx bit to hold the bolt in place and use and open-end wrench to undo the nut. Example below.

7. Remove the upper control arm nut. Same issue as above.

8. Use ball joint separator to separate the control arm and the link. Use the proper one below and not the one that looks like a tuning fork.

9. Remove the three nuts from the top and you should be able push down on the lower control arm and slide the shock out.

10. Installation is the reverse.

I would also recommend getting an alignment done as the front end might be tweaked from this procedure. There was no difference in ride quality that I can discern from the original and rebuilt shock. Overall, the job was fairly easy, especially since I had access to an air gun but it is quite doable without one.
texas008 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 08:16 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Crap!! This was supposed be in the GL section, not the ML section. Can a mod move this please?
#3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: '08 GL450
Good write up! Nicely done. Thanks!

08 GL450 Black/Tan P1/19s
02 ML320 Black/Tan (now daughter's college car)
98 ML320/gone
560SL/gone
#4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 12:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by didimao0072000 View Post
Crap!! This was supposed be in the GL section, not the ML section. Can a mod move this please?
Same procedure. Should also post there too.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 12:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2010
Good write up - always nice to see people getting hands on...
#6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 07:34 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 325XI/5, 993TT
Very nice to see this DIY. Can you tell us approx how long it took you?
#7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsu74 View Post
Very nice to see this DIY. Can you tell us approx how long it took you?
Hmm.. I think it took a total of two hours from start to finish. The reason why it took that long was because I had to drop by the local Autozone to buy the proper ball joint separator (about $15). My brother-in-law said he had a ball joint separator tool but when he brought out the one that looks like a tuning fork, I told him to drop that in the trash because the only thing that is good for is tearing up the rubber boots on the ball joints. Since the strut bar was off, I also replaced the three cam plugs. If your vehicle has over 50,000 or is showing a small oil leak, I would replace them. The cam plugs are a mediocre design and will leak. I didn’t bother with a dyi on the cam plugs since it was so easy but if anyone wants one, let me know and I’ll whip something up. Minus the trip to Autozone and the cam plug change, I would guess it wouldn’t take more than 30 minutes to do each side if you have an impact gun.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 01:21 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 2006 E350 4matic
Any idea how long it should take to change out a rear air spring?

My wife's 2006 R500 was showing the tell-tale signs of a dying airmatic system in the right rear (intermittently was sitting on its wheel well in the morning). I took it in for diagnosis (to EuroTech in the metro-Detroit area) and they said that the air spring has a slow leak and that the shock is also leaking oil, so that I should replace both.

He quoted me $500 for just the airspring and $300 for installation labor, with no quote available regarding the oil shock; which sure seems "generous" to me. Any direction would be greatly appreciated, so that I can dicker this down to the realm of reasonable versus exorbitant.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: GL320 CDI - 2008, '04 Touareg V10 TDI, '85 Unimog U1700, '83 Mitsubishi 4WD turbodiesel PU
Quote:
Originally Posted by didimao0072000 View Post
Hmm.. I think it took a total of two hours from start to finish. The reason why it took that long was because I had to drop by the local Autozone to buy the proper ball joint separator (about $15). My brother-in-law said he had a ball joint separator tool but when he brought out the one that looks like a tuning fork, I told him to drop that in the trash because the only thing that is good for is tearing up the rubber boots on the ball joints. Since the strut bar was off, I also replaced the three cam plugs. If your vehicle has over 50,000 or is showing a small oil leak, I would replace them. The cam plugs are a mediocre design and will leak. I didn’t bother with a dyi on the cam plugs since it was so easy but if anyone wants one, let me know and I’ll whip something up. Minus the trip to Autozone and the cam plug change, I would guess it wouldn’t take more than 30 minutes to do each side if you have an impact gun.
You are talking about the cam plugs on which engine?
#10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:22 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjr View Post
Any idea how long it should take to change out a rear air spring?
No idea as I have not done the rears yet. Sorry..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > X164 GL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.