#1 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 11:00 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'09 GL450 transmission fluid (ATF) change

Does anyone know where the refill point is for the transmission fluid? I know where the drain plug is located but where do you pour in the fluid? Thanks.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 10-15-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 11:09 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2000 C280- 2000 E320 wagon
Through the drain plug. Not for a backyard mechanic to do. You shouldn't have to mess with it. That's what dealers and warranties are for.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 12:00 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
That's what I thought. Thanks.
I was just curious since this thing doesn't have a refill point. It doesn't call for a fluid change until 40k miles.
BTW, I am a backyard mechanic and I'm sure I can handle this :-) I know that these luxury brand makers like to intimidate people into brining their cars into their service department. It's just all nuts and bolts in the end.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 01:30 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2000 C280- 2000 E320 wagon
Well good luck. Correcting or filling the trans oil level in your trans is not like the old school stuff. Where you check it at operating temp, with engine running. You've got to have the trans at a SPECIFIC temp and let the oil drain until that temp is reached at idle then plug it. The temp depends on the type of oil pan and tower color in the pan. Then you need to know the exact temp of the oil. It might save cash if you do it yourself now but if it's not correct those transmissions aren't cheap. If it gets to difficult in your garage STOP. it's worth a tow bill and $300 at the dealer for a trans serv. Not $5000 for a new trans. Just looking out for you.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 02:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I gotcha! I only have 14k miles on mine and it's not due for a ATF change until it hits 40k miles. I'll probably dump my GL before then anyways.
I enjoy "tootling" around my cars, that's all.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
That's what I thought. Thanks.
I was just curious since this thing doesn't have a refill point. It doesn't call for a fluid change until 40k miles.
BTW, I am a backyard mechanic and I'm sure I can handle this :-) I know that these luxury brand makers like to intimidate people into brining their cars into their service department. It's just all nuts and bolts in the end.
You might want to read the WIS procedure first. It takes the dealership computer to verify the correct amount, and, yes, a special tool to install the fluid. You're massively overconfident. Know the number of the flatbed wrecker before you start.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
#7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
You might want to read the WIS procedure first. It takes the dealership computer to verify the correct amount, and, yes, a special tool to install the fluid. You're massively overconfident. Know the number of the flatbed wrecker before you start.
I am aware of the procedure and the temperature requirement. There's a good write up about this procedure on MBWorld.org Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Community. Overconfident... no. Confident.... yes. The last 4 MBs I've owned in general have been very DIY friendly. Even this trans fluid change isn't that bad. Thanks for caring, though. Your sarcasm kind keeps this forum entertaining too.
The reason why I asked this question in the first place was mainly because of my curiosity. I like looking over the mechanics and engineering aspects of different cars. I grew up around lots of cars, working on them occassionally; my dad was a car buff.
None of this really matters since I don't keep my MBs past the warranty period. We love this GL450 but it's already been in the shop 4 times for warranty work. I'll be ready to dump this thing in about 2 more years and look for something more reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > X164 GL-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.