GL450 Trailer Hitch - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > X164 GL-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2008, 07:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2008
GL450 Trailer Hitch

Looking for a after market trailer hitch for gl 450 anyone have one on their vehicle - Looking for feedback - How bad does it look????
Thanks
tmarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 05:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarjo View Post
Looking for a after market trailer hitch for gl 450 anyone have one on their vehicle - Looking for feedback - How bad does it look????
Thanks
had one fitted last week and it looks great. Manufactured by Westfalia who i believe make them for Benz!! the instructoins say no cut to the bumper needed but it did in fact need a small amount cutting out of the splash guard but right on the bottom edge so you cant see it anyway. I had a fixed swan neck put on but you can have the removable one if you wish.

and by the way the pulling ability is fantastic
jembutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jembutler View Post
had one fitted last week and it looks great. Manufactured by Westfalia who i believe make them for Benz!!
Your hitch is clearly European specification, is not available in the USA, and is irrelevant to the question as far as USA usage goes.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: GL320 CDI - 2008, '04 Touareg V10 TDI, '85 Unimog U1700, '83 Mitsubishi 4WD turbodiesel PU
Since the OP didn't specify any country or continent, it is wise to assume ANYWHERE goes, not just USA.
Fourdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdiesel View Post
Since the OP didn't specify any country or continent, it is wise to assume ANYWHERE goes, not just USA.
Nothing wise about that assumption.

Nothing wise, either, about not listing location in profile. Not if poster wants to get help, anyway.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2009 E350 4Matic Sport, 2009 GL450, 2006 CLS 500 - Premium package (lease over, boo hoo)
I wanted to have a hitch installed just for a bike rack system (so not a full towing system) was told by a mechanic who installs a ton of these on a variety of vehicles that I'd need to go to the dealer...at 3 times the cost... (US based)
adamred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2009
Trailer hitch...aftemarkets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarjo View Post
Thanks
The US aftermarket hitch has not yet been fitted to the GL. However, the MBUS hitch is made in ALabama by a MB vendor.

The US aftermarket folks who design and build the commercial hitches do so as time permits, and as the local vehicle dealers in their regional areas allow.

Curt/Dalan in Eau Claire Wi. is the choice aftermarket designer for European vehicle trailer hitches for the US market. They accept individual vehicles for design and fitment as needed. They will also work directly with consumers to get your hitch made. They may have it listed on projects and give updates as they come available.

U-Haul also is a custom designer and fitter of hitches; otherwise not available for the aftermarket. They design, build and fit a hitch to a similar vehicle in their Tempe Tech Center, and ship nationwide to you, or, your choice of installers. I've been successful up to this point in getting hitches custom made at those facilities. They give no time frame guarantee for the fitment. They are required to obtain similar vehicles from dealers, or, private parties for installations. The current custom pricing for csutrom design @ U-Haul $450.

We have also seen on occasion, a Euro version trailer hitch fitting US market vehicles; however, great care and evaluation needs to accompany those purchases. Cost of a Euro hitch is more than a US aftermarket version. Plus shipping. Great designs for the most part , and the hitches are clearly set out with care and safety in mind.

It is one of my pet projects to hitch up everything that crosses my path; whether commercial aftermarket or custom fitment. I would be intersted in how your project works out.

Best regards,
Bob
BBKrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2007 GL450, 2006 E350 4M
Did anyone buy an aftermarket hitch for the 450 yet?
dentage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentage View Post
Did anyone buy an aftermarket hitch for the 450 yet?
I was quoted $1800 for the hitch kit from my local MB dealer two weeks ago. That wasn't including installation. What a rip off.
templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by templeton View Post
I was quoted $1800 for the hitch kit from my local MB dealer two weeks ago. That wasn't including installation. What a rip off.
Moral to the story is buy the option factory fitted: $550.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > X164 GL-Class