02 Freightliner Sprinter - Adding Daytime Running Lights Module - which one? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W901-905 Sprinter
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 96 S600 sedan w/ ADS-II; 02 Sprinter 2500 Van 158" hi-roof cargo w/ AC, courier package, Espar unit
02 Freightliner Sprinter - Adding Daytime Running Lights Module - which one?

Hi. I imported a Sprinter 2500 (no fog lights) from the USA into Canada.
It needs to have DRLs in order to pass the federal and provincial inspections.

Does anyone have experience adding a DRL module to their 02 Sprinter?

Cdn Tire has a DRL module that would turn on both low beams and park lights (but will not work if headlight switch is negatively grounded or ground side switched (GSS) from factory - anyone know?).
DRL Kits - Automotive Products - Hamsar Diversco Inc., (model 45040).

Another two are made by Grote.com:
Grote Industries: Product #44040 - DRL Module
Turns on only low beams at full power

Grote Industries: Product #44060 - DRL Module
Or HD unit with low beams at reduced power.
and off when parking brake engaged.

The dealer checked and the 02 does not have anything in the computer nor the wiring for any DRL capability from the factory (as it was a US-only model).

The tech also suggested one DRL module per side as the Sprinter has the low beams, high beams, and park lights on separate circuits for each side. Other people have suggested that only one module is needed (as most domestic vehicles use a common circuit for both sides).

An alternative is a set of fog lights/Bosch relay at half power (but there are no lower wattage bulbs that can be substituted for H3-55W) that are mounted firmly to a metal surface (ie. front reinforcement, maybe bumper steps) that come on automatically with the ignition.

I did find out that Hamsar makes DRL model 45060 that reduces high beam power to 40% - this could be used with fog lights.

A friend suggested using the spots in the headlamps where fog lights would have gone. However, it involves cutting a hole in the reflector but there is no mounting hardware for the bulb provided. Also, the headlamp cable doesn't have a spot for wire #2.

Any more ideas?

If it was an 03 or newer it would already have the relay sockets under the driver's seat riser and a setting in the computer that could be changed to activate the DRL feature. But then all the lights would be on all the time.

Thanks.

Last edited by djc126; 08-26-2008 at 03:01 AM. Reason: further clarification
djc126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 03:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 96 S600 sedan w/ ADS-II; 02 Sprinter 2500 Van 158" hi-roof cargo w/ AC, courier package, Espar unit
Update: Adding DRL module

Hi. After much discussion with Hamsar, they could not suggest a particular model to install nor using one that reduced power to the headlights.

Anyone have a schematic for the 02 Sprinter headlamp system?

Hamsar stated there could be possible feedback in the system such as with the ECU which would not be good.

I took a look at the 06 service manual but the block diagrams do not provide enough detail.

Anyways, I decided to connect one Hamsar 45040 full power DRL module to my van for testing. It's quite straightforward to connect but had to remove the driver's headlamp and grille to make more room. I did not connect the wire for the park lamps (which would also turn on the side markers, clearance lights, and instrument lights) and it's optional. The law states that low beams or high beams (or fog lights) at reduced power are required to come on automatically.

In the initial testing (touch trigger wire to battery positive, all connected lights should come on), I found out that the low beams are in fact connected together somehow as they both lit up but only the driver's side high beam (so L&R are not connected together) turned on.

For the final connection, I stuck the trigger wire into the 20A windscreen wiper motor fuse spot.

Tested my lights and they worked fine as usual.

With the key in II, the low beams automatically came on (went off when the high beams were turned on) and turned off after a couple seconds with key Off.

However, I hear a buzzing sound from the DRL module which I'm not sure is normal or not. So I'm uncertain if this will be a permanent solution. Anyways, I only had to use one module and I believe the headlamp switch is not Ground Side Switched.
djc126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W901-905 Sprinter