2000 Sprinter sudden power loss - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W901-905 Sprinter
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2007
413 CDI Sprinter Limp Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmx View Post
this is very intresting as ive got exactly the same problem with my 208cdi , it looses power but if i turn it off and then bump it back up its fine again , did 300 miles the other day and it dident play up once , then just poped up the town and it happend 5 times , ive replaced all the bulbs, brake light switch, fuel fillter,checked all conections, got my head spinning
Same problem with my 413 CDI only I have had Mercedes change out one at a time the following trying to remedy the situation at there recomendation over the past 14 months.
1) fuel filter 2) Fuel Pump 3) Brake light Clusters 4) Brake light sensor switch 5) Wiring harness to Sprint Shift 6) Sprint Shift Pump 7) Turbo Charger.
Now they say to change the complete gearbox. I asked OK what is wrong inside the gearbox? they replied we dont Know!! but it will illiminate another possibility! I thought what a great idea, next time I stubb my toe I`ll ask the Doctor to cut my leg off!! These are Mercedes Top Mechanics, but at last I have found the solution, for this I am eternally grateful.
ANSWER (this is the one, it will solve all your problems as it did mine).
SELL your piece of GERMAN CRAP and NEVER EVER EVER BUY ANOTHER ONE.
Weinner Snitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2007, 05:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2007
Mine does pretty much the same thing. It's a 2000 308cdi, now with 175k, but started about 125k. As has been said it can go for hundreds of miles with no probs, then 5 times in 20 miles. Turning the key off and back almost always resets it.
I have noticed that the most common time for it to happen is when starting to overtake on a dual carriageway, and the car I'm about to overtake suddenly pulls out and I take my foot off the gas. When I put my boot down again, half the time there is no power there and I pull back to the inside lane to do the key stuff.
I run lightly loaded all the time so it's not struggling.
I had just about given up when I remembered this forum.
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
sprinter losing power

My 97 312d model done this for a year and no mechanic could tell me why someone says your injectors are blocked someone told me something else but coundnt get to the bottom of it.you will now laugh at what im going to tell you I coundlt start van one morning kept spinning no diesel coming up so i got a fairy liquid bottle a piece of rubber tube put some diesel in the bottle took the feed supply from the tank or so i thought and tried to crank the engine a few times nothing then cranked again and boom the was a bit of an explosive bang i ran round front of van the bottle had exploded diesel everywhere i had put it on the return pipe by mistake to the bottle well i thought thats done it i put the return pipe back on and cranked the engine and vroom the engine sprung into life and went very quiet purring like a cat now bearing in mind i had the timing done new belts pump looked at nothing worked untill the fairy bottle and the van has run great ever since tall tale i hear you all say the engine light went out and the van has run great ever since it wheelspins not trying pulling away.
showman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: vito 120 cdi
there are many things that can put the engine into safe mode, needs to be put onto a diagnostic and monitored, the none start and fix with a washing up bottle could be the pressure regulator valve o rings,

Fuel filter, boost control(vacuum) , turbo (faulty/stiff VNT control) wiring fault ie brake light switch/bulb etc etc
steel-jaw-sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2009
I had searched the forums for an answer to my problem with no joy so I thought it best to forward the resolution now it's fixed.
my 2004 311 (67k miles) was losing power intermittently for a split second and beginning to get worse. The oil light was also coming on from time to time too. MB replaced the oil sensor but that didn't work. I got MB to wipe fault codes and took it on a long trip. EDC light appeared at one stage and it went into limp mode! took it back to MB but no codes appeared! €400 later they traced the fault to the wire to the vacuum transducer shorting out and the fuel filter taking in air. they repaired the wiring and replaced filter now it's running like a sprinter!
coldsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
When I had this issue the first time, it was my turbo resonator that went bad...made of plastic and needed to be replaced. That was a severe "limp" mode until I got it fixed. The second time happened about 2 months ago...wasn't as bad of a "limp" and like you mentioned, would sometimes correct itself after restart. It ended up being a leak in the hose coming off the bottem of the turbo (another sign is having some oil drip down from that hose) Hope this helps!

ps...I really want to have my plastic resonator replaced with the aftermarket billet one...check it out.

DODGE FREIGHTLINER SPRINTER TURBO RESONATOR ELIMINATOR:eBay Motors (item 330359661455 end time Dec-11-09 19:15:52 PST)
1989 Jeep Wrangler
PaluzTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2010
please can anybody help, i have a 2005 313cdi sprinter which every so often when driving will lose power for a split second and all the dashboard reset itself as thow you have turned the engine off but it does'nt cut out.
also when you start the engine and select reverse it cuts out but never when you select reverse after you have moved off, its doing my head in as im a courier and driving 10hrs a day, any ideas anybody please
geey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: TO NAME A FEW Sprinter 313 4x4 ,E320 CDI,A160,A170 CDI ,W123 230,SLK230K, C180 ,C200,C230K, C230K
WILD GUESSES

Having been a member for a while now I try to answer as many threads as possible but of course I do work full time.

It amazes me that so many people come on here and dont get the correct info before answering threads.

This frustrates me as surely you need to know what the exact vehicle is before guessing.

with the amount of cheap code readers available this just throws more spanners in the works as suddenly people are technicains overnight.

But guess what? Firstly guys you need to know all the basics,secondly a code reader is a code reader, and any tool is only as good as the guy using it.

By the time you have spent £100s and many hours getting frustrated you usually end up contacting me.

I drive around the country sorting out Sprinter problems,I may not be as cheap as jack down at the local garage,or bob down the pub, def not as dear as the dealer, But we do fix the problems !!!!

I have the latest MB Diaganostics,and have been working on Sprinters well over 10 years

So the question is where do you spend your money.

Please contact me by email, not by phone I am after all a busy guy.

Without being rude to people Im not here just to answer the phone all day, time is money, Genuine enquires welcome

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W901-905 Sprinter