Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

R500 Coolant Level Sensor

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Zaxxon 
#1 ·
So I am somewhat stumped by this and maybe someone ran into this before. getting constant low coolant warning, coolant level is fine, thinking it's the sensor.

Ordered this sensor without much looking around, cheap enough: http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/2205450024

Wanted to replace the sensor, and it sure looks to me like it's integral to the expansion tank and can't be changed without replacing the tank! Not sure why AutohausAZ lists that part - I can't see a way to make this work in my R500. Does anyone know that indeed the entire tank needs to be replaced and includes the sensor? Kind of looks like it. Can't find any clear information on WIS or EPC: http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/2515000049

Thanks already in advance,
--Zax

#2 ·
Damn. That just gave me heartburn. Sounds like you might have to take the tank out and replace the sensor. Probably a twist and pull job. I imagine it wouldnt/shouldnt be easy to come out as it has to be water and air tight being that the tank seems to be under pressure during normal operations. Have you post this inquiry in MBworld? I'm sure you'll get a quick and thorough answer there. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Damn. That just gave me heartburn. Sounds like you might have to take the tank out and replace the sensor.
It's not hard to pull the tank. Fairly simple actually, but since the two tank halves look to be glued/welded together, there is no way to replace that sensor from what I can see. And it looks like a new tank comes with the sensor in it. Mercedes doesn't list the sensor separate in EPC, only a contact repair advise with some part numbers. AutohausAZ might have just had a mix-up here with that 202 parts number.

I might do some research on mbworld as well.

Thanks,
Zax

#4 ·
Ok, that actually really is the deal - if your level sender goes bad, you have to replace the expansion tank. No way of replacing the sensor by itself. Well, at least not in a way that's worth it, considering they are plentiful on eBay and new OEM only around $110. What was concerning was that upon disconnecting the bottom hose, the whole nipple with metal insert broke right off the tank, with no major force. Either someone else before me manhandled it, or there was a weakness in the material.

--Zax

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.