Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rear Air Suspension, Help a newbie, lady owner out!

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  R350Mom 
#1 ·
I see that there is a lot of chatter on the subject but I just want to make sure that I am understanding correctly so I can make the best decision. As a woman I just want to make sure that I am not getting the run around.

I have a 2007 R350 and recently the rear air suspension on one side was sagging. When the car was turned on it would level out. It was like this for 3 days before I could get it in. I took it to an independent guy, he said there was a leak recommended both rear air springs be replaced and quoted me some outrageous number. Car was still wonky. I took it to the dealer a week later when I could get it in. They said the same thing. There was a leak, recommended both rear air springs be replaced and quoted me some outrageous number like is expected at the dealer. When I got there however the car was level and stayed level for over a month as I tried to decide what to do. It was hard for me to go replace a part with a leak when the car was consistently staying level either on or off.

Came out yesterday and the back is dropped again, both sides this time though. Turn it on, it levels out. After that... no problems again.

Now maybe I am not understanding, but if there was a leak it would be like a bike tire right? You put air in, air goes out, flat bike tire. If it is a leak, how come the car stayed normal for over a month even when off?

So is there something else that could be going on? Like a fuse or sensor? I just don't want to replace the two air springs and it actually be another issue. I however do not know enough on the subject and maybe I am jaded, but I feel like they see a woman walk in and get dollar signs in their eyes because I dont know better.

How would you go about this is it was your car?

See less See more
#2 ·
You def have a leak on at least one (if not both if both sides are now down)- environmental reasons or just plain luck could be the reason they stayed up for a duration before going back flat- Just a tiny pinhole on the air shock that may have been pinched in the right position to not leak... check arnott for the rear shocks- they are much cheaper and have a lifetime warranty- purchase them and take them to the indy to install is prob the cheapest route-

#3 ·
I would concur with Gisham. The leaky bags with the rear air springs is a common issue with the R 350. The life expectancy of the Benz rear air bags is about 5- 7 years. I went through this issue last summer on my 08' R350, and had them both replaced.

Gisham is right. You should see the independent shop, and have them replaced with the Arnott product. You will pay about half the price of the Benz OEM air springs. I ended up learning this after the fact. I had the Benz OEM installed, and then found out about the Arnott product later.

Once you get them replaced, you should be good to go, and if Arnott has a lifetime warranty, this is even better.

All the best!

#4 ·
The reason n the rear is going up is because the pump is working hard at keeping the pressure. It's best to have them replaced now rather than later and risking burning out the pump... Dealer will not install the Arnott air shocks because they are not OE parts. So an indie shop is your best bet, but I'd recommend one that specializes in MB. The installation is fairly simple. Typical labor time is about 4 hrs. If your shop charges X amount of $/hr then the labor should be 4X. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.