Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

TireRack suggesting very different offset?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  efzauner 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello
What is your experience with TireRack or other aftermarket wheel suppliers?
For my 2008 R320 that has 8 inch with 67mm offset, TireRack is suggesting a wheel with 45mm offset. This is almost an inch less! I can't believe this is good.

I have looked at owners manuals for many years and there is some play, maybe 4mm in offset for different wheels, but 22mm seems rather excessive!

#2 ·
Is the replacement wheel the same width as your stock ones (or part of a staggered set)?

If everything else is the same, that is curious, because it would widen your track quite a bit (who knows, maybe handling would improve?). ;)

If the other specs are the same, I'd just call them and ask directly why the difference. They've always been quite helpful with me.

Good luck.

#3 · (Edited)
I have used TireRack on several occasions with my BMWs and have been very pleased. Their Midwest location is close enough for me to drive to, so I am able to see the wheels and tires prior to purchase. Their installation has been fast, and their prices, fair. In short, I've been satisfied and would use them again.

Nonetheless, be careful. Your experience seems strange. Normally TireRack is pretty insistent on using the proper size and combination only. It may be that TR's economic self-interest has trumped their better judgment: They may not have the OEM size rim and/or tire and selfishly they don't want to loss the sell. Bottom line: Something doesn't smell right. As mentioned above, I'd give them a call, and if their explanation still doesn't pass the smell test, I'd steer clear.

Either way, best of luck...

#4 ·
I would insist on the right offset, however if the backspacing is different that would allow a different offset.
Check out dealerfit.com they show an 18" FACTORY alloy for $83 each out of the US, nothing beats forged oem wheels. That was the best I found in 8 months of searching, but I wanted 17"s. I just found a set in Montreal yesterday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.