Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

R350 LWB 2011 Fuel Economy

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  thomgonzales 
#1 ·
Hi, the fuel economy on my car is 26MPG average over 6000 miles and at constant 60mph I can only squeeze 31MPG out of it and that is with the AC heating and radio off.

I have checked the tyre pressures and MB service had it for two days testing and just said it was fine and said the MPG was within what they expect.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

#2 ·
What are you expecting?

#3 ·
What figures are you comparing your milage with? Mine exceeds the US gov ratings very easily, it just beats out the CDN ratings by 3-5%.
There are so many different ways to measure and different gallon sizes it is easy to get the wrong reading.
I run a scanguage above my steering column, it gives real time fuel economy and engine load so you can see what your doing (plugged into the obd port). The throttle on the cdi is VERY sensitive, and the slightest movement can make a huge difference on how much fuel the engine is using. Driving in hills makes a very large difference, even smaller rolling terrain can take 10-20% hit to fuel economy. Idling also influences the on board computer quite a bit.

#5 ·
USA rating is 24 mpg highway 18 city
Canada rating is 8.4L/100km highway 11L/100km city
Not sure where you saw 40mpg! That is REALLY high! I would never believe that. VW TDI Passat gets those numbers, it is much lighter and not awd.
The absolute best according to the dash display I have managed is 38mpg (4.54L gallon) going 90km/h for hours in my 2008 R320 canadian spec.

#7 ·
Interesting, and you get way more horsepower and top speed then we get! I guess it was good test vehicle they used.
Have you tried different fuel suppliers? Just going really easy on throttle is my best advice, the smallest adjustments with the throttle can make a huge difference with reported fuel consumption, it is a heavy vehicle. The more mileage you put on the engine the better the economy will get, this is true of all diesels.

#9 · (Edited)
I know you want better, but just for perspective our 2006 R500 delivers only 13 mpg city and closer to twenty hi-way.

Although I'd love to squeeze out a few more mpg's, what I'd really like is a bigger fuel tank. Being regularly reminded of the high price of premium gas becomes quite a drag. At least, it's not $2.12 a liter. Wow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.