Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

turbo problem

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  houseofdiesel 
#1 ·
320 CDI turbo oil leak...the dealer says 5K to fix.

questions (1)- can the engine continue to run (albeit at reduced power)? adn (2) anything is possible but is there likelihood of catastrophic turbo failure?

thanks
PS..the local mechanic advice: the turbo will not fail catastrophically, continue to drive the car and tradein when ready

#2 ·
Can you offer any more info? There are three places on the top of the engine that leak oil, and mine is. The dealer told me it needs a rear main crankshaft oil seal on the prepurchase inspection, it did not. I cleaned the engine, even inside the bellhousing and the only leaks are from the turbo intake tube, breather pipe off the passenger side valve cover and the heater in that pipe. I have order all the parts, $150 worth and an hour to fix, not the $1000 I was quoted for a rear main seal. It is VERY hard to see where the oil is coming from without thoroughly cleaning the top of the motor and bringing it back a couple days later. It is also very hard to determine what is blow by vapour and what is the turbo leaking, believe me I work as a mechanic on diesels.
Now if yours in in limp mode something else is wrong, nothing to do with oil leaking...it should have normal power whether it leaks or not.

#4 ·
I used a good amount of brake clean on the top of the engine with the cover removed, then tons of compressed air to blow it out. Be thorough and spend time to get rid of any trace of oil. It is hiding in the intake valley underneath all that stuff... I will post the part numbers of the common offenders when I find the bills. They are not hard to change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.