Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

722.9 goes into limp home mode after fluid & filter change

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  2006_MB_R500 
#1 ·
Had the transmission fluid & filter changed in my 2006 R500 today. Car was fine for half an hour while driving on the highway. I stopped for 10 minutes then started the car again and as soon as I started to accelerate the car went into limp home mode. I put the car in park, then in drive again and it did the same thing. I hit the manual gear changer on the back of the steering wheel and went through all the gears, then back to "D" again and then it was fine for the 15 minute drive home. Invoice shows they added 5 litres of ATF. Ha sanyone else experienced this issue? The car has 65,300 kms.

#2 · (Edited)
Did you have this work done at a MB dealer or other authorized MB mechanic? Did they use the MB approved fluid which costs about $12 per quart? If the invoice shows they added 5 liters of fluid that may be the problem because the 722.9 holds 9.0 liters (9.5 US quarts). So accordingly the 722 goes into limp home mode because it has only about half the fluid it needs to function properly. The MB 722 transmission filter/fluid change costs at least $250 at dealer or independent MB mechanic. It is not a DIY procedure - because in order to do it properly you need special equipment to drain the torque converter...

#3 ·
Yes, it was done at a local MB dealer and yes they used the right fluid, per their estimate:

1L 722.9 Transmission Oil
$19.30
001-989-68-03-13
In Stock
$135.10

Oddly enough, their estimate shows 7 litres, but the final invoice says 5, so I think you are correct. I wondered why the price fell from $404.52 to $352.18. They said it didn't need as many litres as they thought.

#6 ·
5L is perfectly honest and correct. I have changed two different R classes and they both took 5L each time. I think your having an unrelated problem come up, or it took the fluid change to reveal a problem/uncover one. As far as I have read and been taught, there is no way to drain the torque converter on the 722 trans. It is very basic and straight forward trans service, but it requires knowledge and filling tools just like every other german automatic vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.