Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Transmission

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  houseofdiesel 
#1 ·
I read the DIY on the transmission service, but has anyone actually done it. I was wondering what the turn out was.... Thanks:bowdown:

#2 ·
Me too. But I would like to know more before I try it.

#3 ·
Dealer told me they recommend at 50K miles to do the transmission service. It was quoted at 450 bucks..Interesting that I could probably get it done for less but I not sure what the details for performing the service...I don't want to over pay for transmission flush and refill...

#4 ·
That is ~ what it cost me when I did mine at 36,000miles.
I used a 15% off coupon through the monthly emails the dealership sends out.
I think they drain the pan along with the torque converter. Some non-MB shops do not drain the torque converter.

#6 ·
The official documentation on this subject from MB is 39K Miles for the first fluid and filter change. But this is for cars fitted with the 722.9 transmission only.

#7 ·
Hi Eric,

Was that millage from when they had the service interval for 13000mile/1year or has it always been 39000, seams to me like an odd number when the maintenance is recommended to be 10000miles/1 year? (USA)

#9 · (Edited)
Wait, I am so used to Km that I did not notice this, but 39000 Miles = 62764.416Km and 60K Km is the recommended change point on the 722.6 so basically they have gone back to the original change point.

This is much the same as when the said the 722.6 was supposed to be sealed for life and then they backed down and said 60k km.

#12 ·
There is no voodoo magic involved. Get a filter kit, 6L of 236.14 spec trans fluid. Start with the vehicle warmed up so the fluid drains faster, remove the trans pan, having a large drain pan helps as it is a messy job. Change the filter, thoroughly clean the magnet in the pan and the pan itself.
Take the fill plug out of the pan, take the pan where they will sell you a threaded insert that will screw into the hole, I used a fitting off a Bosch gas filter from mid 80s Audi 5000. It has to be hollow to let fluid through. Take the fitting and shove it into the end of a suction pump (hardware store, looks similar to a grease gun, holds a pint). Install filter with oring attached, install pan. Thread the fitting into the fill hole and attach the suction pump with a hose clamp. Prefill the pan untill it starts to drain out, keep it all hooked up. Start the engine, and continue filling it. This is the hardest part, as it only holds a pint each pump...Mityvac sell a nice kit complete with pump for $250, if your going to do it often it makes sense vs paying $400 each time. ( MV6410ATF )
It is full when it drains out with the fluid temp approx 40C. I find it takes 5L every time. I have done this twice so far.
I have noticed some members say the torque converter can be drained, I have not looked for a drain on it as I was told it was not possible on these transmissions, only the older ones, plus 5L is a pretty good flush for a transmission. I am going to do this every 60 000 kms, I don't care what Mercedes claims. Total cost well under $200.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.