Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rear window override button stuck

22K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Denxhh 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone:

I have kids and typically keep mine on the on/down position so that the kids can't operate windows. However, I engage/disengaged the button today and now I can't get the button to the up/override off position - it is stuck in the engaged/down/override on position. I tried pushing on it harder, as well as running a credit card along the sides of it to try and release it, but nothing worked. The windows work fine.

Thanks for any advice/assistance.

#2 ·
Funny, mine did the same thing last week. Had a tech look at it when servicing, said switch is stuck, and there is some kind of gunk or something holding it. Thinks it might have been some kind of lube or oil that has hardened.

Said it would cost $225 for him to pull apart and replace (parts+labor). Told him it wasn't that important, as I can still roll the windows down myself!!

#4 ·
us too

Ours just got stuck last week too. Definitely feels sticky, like a hardened lubricant.

From what I can tell and what I've read you can't pop out the master switch module to fix it or clean it our. You have to take off entire door panel because there are screws underneath. That's why so $$. Is this accurate in your experience?

For now, we also can live without it as my kids are now 15 and 17.

#5 ·
Ours just got stuck last week too. Definitely feels sticky, like a hardened lubricant.

From what I can tell and what I've read you can't pop out the master switch module to fix it or clean it our. You have to take off entire door panel because there are screws underneath. That's why so $$. Is this accurate in your experience?

For now, we also can live without it as my kids are now 15 and 17.
Agree. Tech said it was really a 10 minute job, once he got the panel and 8 screws (can't figure why 8) off and everything disconnected. My kids are small, so it's better this way, but a pain if I were to ever want to sell the car. Don't think it's gonna happen, but it's just one of those little niggling things I would have to do to sell it.

#7 · (Edited)
Happened to me a few months ago. Dealer replaced the entire assembly, which seemed excessive, but as it was covered by CPO warranty, I didn't complain. The only harm (and this is very minor) is that new assembly is a bit rounder than the original. No one would notice, provided they didn't know what was there before.

If you're out of warranty, I have read that it is exactly the same part as that used by Chrysler in their mini-vans at a much higher price. I wasn't able to fix it myself--my attempts at prying it free failed, but I have read that you can you use a moist coffee filter to release the stickiness. Maybe you could try that.

Best of luck...

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.