Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Intro Myself... Long time first time... 08 R350 NYC

6K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  ITboater 
#1 ·
Hey guys/gals:

I've been lurking here on this forum for a while. I wanted a R350 to replace my previous car because of my growing family. I finally found and purchased a 2008 White semi loaded R350 a month ago and I love it so far... has every option minus the entertainment system.

I've always been into cars and had a daily driven show car for a while... I decided to give it up and sold it and purchased this R350 to replace it. But true to my roots and car hobbie I didn't waste time in personalizing this one a little...

Day Purchased:

Got a few parts a week later... Wood Steering wheel, Lowering Rear Links, H&R Springs, 2011 Style mirrors, 3 sets of HIDs (5,000K Color temp)+ decoders, LED lights complete interior, license plate lights & driving lights and AMG pedals... To give it a little 2011 refresh...

Installed HIDS:

Lowering it at a shop a friend work at:

After the install... I felt it wasn't low enough so I modified the front springs to get me a little lower plus I maxed out the lowering links in the rear...

Best picture that shows the drop and fender gap...

Since i purchased this R350 used... the previous owner had some minor scratches on the bumper and I needed to paint the mirrors so I decided to take it to a body shop where I... Painted the front bumper, the mirrors, rest of panoramic roof Black and Custom installed 2011 Quad Fogs from a 2011 E-Class...

Came out looking subtle and like OEM... I love the look...

I was trying to locate 2011 R350 LED Rear Lights to Retrofit into my R350 but could not find a pair at a reasonable good price in time... But as soon as I get them... I will install to give the rear a nice fresh look. :thumbsup:

I'll like to Thank everyone here on this forum for the information that they've posted which have helped me get the information I was looking for at the time... I will be posting here from time to time and trying to give back to this community...

Here is my previous car... So you can get a sense of how extreme I can get when it comes to personalizing a vehicle (It was modified in the Japanese VIP Styling)... But I will not be getting that extreme with my new family hauler :surrender:

Thanks for having me People... :D

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
I'm not doing wheels just yet I'm enjoying the 55 series tires around NYC... been on low profiles for too many years...

You can either program or use the links... I choose to do it mechanically with the links...

Welcome to the R350 family. Just curious how much did your R eventually cost including all the upgrades? I recently got a 2009 R350 fully loaded (P2 package etc..) 23K miles for about 42K OTD. I hope it was a good price.
I got a very good price on this R350 - it has Package 4. It has less than 30k miles.

Rodneyc77,

Very nice.:thumbsup:
Welcome to the R forum
Thanks... I appreciate the welcome.

Welcome to the R-Club, by far the best family hauler out there:D
Absolutely, my kids love it. They even said that it's better than my previous car... :crybaby2: :D

So does the 2011 outside mirror covers just slide on to the original mirrors with no mods? I have a 2006 and like the look of the 2011 mirror cover design.
The 2011 Style mirrors I got basically replaces the mirrors on the R. It comes with new Covers, LED blinkers and new puddle lights, so it's a Complete replacement minus the inside motors and mirror itself.

Why didn't you use the 2011 R double fogs? Does anybody know if they can be put on a 2006 R class? What are the modifications needed to make them work on a R with no fogs installed...? :thumbsup: on you car though.....
I didn't have a chance to see the 2011 R350 double fogs in person anywhere in NYC, so I didn't attempt to buy them without seeing them first. I did however get a chance to see and inspect a 2011 E-Class with the double fogs. I measured and figured they would work. Not sure if it's the same or not on both vehicles. It was a complete custom job. But basically my bodyshop cut off the outer trim off the OEM foglight (outer ring) that attaches flush with bumper and plastic welded/fiberglassed the 2011 E-Class honeycomb double fog trim to it... shaped it to look OEM and painted it black...

nice work --- Im also in NYC where do you get your work done...I am looking for a good body and installation place....you should paint your grill either all with or all black...it will look sick...

I want to install a 08 or 09 bumper on my 2006 is it feasible...
I get my work done in upstate NY... Dreamakers Kustoms ... It's absolutely feasible to install a 2008-2010 bumper onto a 2006-2007 R350. With no to very minimal work.

I thought about painting the Grill but I actually like the silver contrast of the grill. Plus I like looking-like OEM as much as possible. I like the look of "I know it's someting different about the car but I just can't put my finger on it" :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for the great comments...

#4 ·
Rodneyc77,

Very nice.:thumbsup:
Welcome to the R forum

#17 ·
Alright guys... I've been doing research... One question I've had was the current pressure of the rear bags at my current drive height. Based on the weight of the car and diameter of the bags - and how soft the rear been handling when I lowered it; I assumed 40 to 50 psi... I tapped into the OEM air hose of one of the bags and put an analog pressure gauge on it...

^simple setup... Only concern was the size of the factory hose... which is metric 4mm - outside diameter.

^Pressure in the bags currently is approximately 42 psi. (My assumption was close)

This was 5 minutes... should have done it a long time ago... Now I can guess what the factory compressor's peak output is...

As mentioned before, due to the amount of drop I currently have in the rear... the rear is a bit loose. Since I've forced it to be lower, it means there is less pressure in the bags.

As you can see... the bag is barely inflated...

^since I maxed out the lowering links before and didn't get the drop I desired; I flipped the lower "L" bracket and played with the length of the lowering link to get me the height I desired...

I'm currently working with an air suspension company and they are willing to make something work based on their current bag designs, space available in the suspension and some custom brackets/mounts to stiffen up the rear.

I think that I will put this thing on full air (controlled independently by me)... but just don't know exactly when.

#20 ·
congrats ride coming along nicely, can tell your a car guy. i like the clean look while you've done alot to it.
i have 2008r that i picked recently and my wife, a month later got a '10 e350 w/the amg spt pkg. as soon as i saw her fogs i was like i want those for my car. being i live in white plains i think i'll give ur body shop a call. are you using one set as daytime running lights, i was thinking making one set yellow.
i'm a quadriplegic and it would make my life so much more easier to transfer into the car if i could just lower it between 1.5-2inches, whats do u reckon is the best way to achieve this and keeping cost to a minimum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.