#1 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 01:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
R350 Rear Trunk Cannot Open

Today, my automatic rear trunk refused to open. I can hear the motor trying to open the door but it appears the lock is stuck. Anyone have this problem before? Is there a manual way to open the rear trunk? I noticed their is a latch on the top left corner, I tried lifting it up, it doesn't do anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 02:29 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 2008 E63, 2010 SRX Turbo, 2010 Escalade EXT
Hopefully it's just a latch alignment problem. I'd have the stealership check it out. My daughter's R had the same issue. It was a simple fix. Be careful not to overdue activating the power switch. It won't take much to burn up the motor.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 03:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Its wierd, its fixed now... It just suddenly felt like working! I lubed it with WD40, and tested it over ten times. I wish it wasn't automatic! I never had this problem with any of my other Mercedes-Benz. Imagine if it was the fuse that blown, the fuse is located under the trunk panel, how stupid is that. You have to open the tail gate to access the fuse panel.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 05:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
sometimes electronics go hay wire...in this case it seems that lock just didnt want to let go. I think turn off the car locking it and waiting a few minutes then trying again works...
#5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: '12 E550 Cabriolet, steel grey, P2; '07 R320 CDI, P1, Barolo red
beware of the liftgate issue

For 2 years our 07 R320's liftgate would only work about 1/2 the time. Motor would start, latch would disengage and it would fail and relock. It's a two step process -- the latch unlocks and then the hydraulics lift the door. After 2 years of BS with the dealer and then finally going to MBUSA. They ended up replacing the hydraulic pump and most of the parts, fortunately all still under warranty as it would have been over $1000 I'm sure. So don't just write it off as this may be an early warning that the hydraulic pump is bad. We've also had a fuel pump fail but that seems somewhat specific to the diesel.

good luck
#6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 05:29 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I was wondering if you can completely take out the automatic tailgate motors and can you still close it? I was thinking about that when it was stuck. I can see that it has soft close function, that isn't part of the tailgate openers. I have the same thing on my S500 doors. I know some R-Class don't come standard with the automatic trunk closing feature.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: Audi A4, 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2010 R350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabocat View Post
I was wondering if you can completely take out the automatic tailgate motors and can you still close it? I was thinking about that when it was stuck. I can see that it has soft close function, that isn't part of the tailgate openers. I have the same thing on my S500 doors. I know some R-Class don't come standard with the automatic trunk closing feature.
This is a question I had. On my Chrysler Town and Country Van with a power liftgate, I can always choose to just raise of lower it manually with no problem. It works just as though it did not have this option. Is the R350 different? You cannot lift it manually?
#8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 05:42 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by gforaker View Post
This is a question I had. On my Chrysler Town and Country Van with a power liftgate, I can always choose to just raise of lower it manually with no problem. It works just as though it did not have this option. Is the R350 different? You cannot lift it manually?
Mine has always worked flawlessly automatically opening and closing. A couple of times when I manually pushed it down to close it didn't lock but just sat there. It worked fine when I opened it automatically and closed it again. In my view, every time you interfere with the open/close cycle you are risking throwing it off its cycle. The question is (assuming the gate works properly) why would anyone ever want to open/close the gate manually?

Last edited by aggst1; 01-10-2011 at 05:46 PM.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: Audi A4, 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2010 R350
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggst1 View Post
The question is (assuming the gate works properly) why would anyone ever want to open/close the gate manually?
There are always circumstances where it happens. Either a helpful friend will try to close it or a baggage attendant at a hotel will grab and open before you are ready. Those are just two examples.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 10:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
I figure that MB just thinks we are lazy and always want to use the power lift-gate automatically. There is a emergency release latch on the lift-gate interior - just in case the vehicle doesn't have enough juice to open the lift-gate e.g. dead battery, sudden lose of power or the tailgate motor just happens to burn out.

So we are stuck with it good or bad. By the way I had the that exact issue when my tail gate started to go nuts - then it just didnt want to open...took me 5 visits to the stealer to fix it under warranty. Good luck.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W251 R-Class