Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Arrg! How do I turn off the TPMS??

28K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  efzauner 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 R350 and I just upgraded my wheels from the stock 17 inch wheels to 18 inchers (new stock off a 2009 R350). Anyway, I already had a buyer for my wheels so the day I took them off and put on my new wheels I sold my old wheels & tires (last Saturday 11/13).

Here's where it gets interesting. Before I did any of this, I called the dealer and spoke to my service adviser and asked if my car had TPMS sensors in the wheels. She assured me that the way my car monitored tire pressure was by using the antilock sensors thereby monitoring changes in the tire's rotation (I can't view tire pressure on my dash, all I have is the low pressure warning light, so this made sense to me). She promised me that my car did not have any TPMS sensors.

So the guy who bought my wheels is long gone (live almost 200 miles away) and on my way to work today, guess what happens?? Yup, my TPMS sensors inactive message comes on and the yellow warning light starts blinking. Arrrg!!! :mad:

Is there any way to turn the system off or do I have to go out now and buy and have installed new TPMS sensors? I'm so mad at my service adviser!!!!

BTW - I called her and told her this and her reply was "I'm shocked, I could have sworn your car didn't have sensors....too bad."

The funny thing is I swapped the wheels on Saturday and I drove nearly 100 miles since then but no warning message came on, until today. I'm surprised it wasn't instant.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Mine apparently show low pressure only as well. I just burns me that my adviser gave me bad advise and now I have to pay the price. :crybaby2: I would have swapped the TPMS sensors before I sold the old wheels and mounted the new ones.

I'm a real stickler when it comes to maintaining my tire pressure. I check it at least once a month. In the 3 years I've owned this car the system has never alerted me to low pressure. Then again, I don't think I've ever let the pressure drop below 25 PSI in any tire at any time.

#6 ·
Let me guess, those can be found at the Mercedes dealership, right?

I'm just so mad I let the sensors I already owned go away based on bad advise from my service adviser. I called the dealer again today and spoke to the service manager to see if there is something they could do for me (e.g. take some money off the cost of new sensors and mounting them) and they said no. :eek:

#7 ·
Then get them to disable the system using star, after all it was their bad advice that got you into this mess.

#9 ·
Yeah, they told me they won't turn it off. My service adviser (who got me in this mess) told me to put some black tape over the yellow tire light on my instrument cluster. What a comedian!!! :D

I'm going to have to eat the cost and re-buy the sensors. I simply can't stand the text warning on my message center all the time and the blinking yellow tire light.

#11 ·
You know, I'm 55 years old and long ago learned to check my tire pressure regularly, both for safety and for tire wear. I don't need a digital babysitter telling me that my pressure is down a few PSI. I will find that out myself when I check my pressure weekly.

#12 ·
Agreed, I'm not that old yet, but I'm also checking the tire pressure regularly and also looking for odd wear, but that said I also agree with ikchris, the monitors are a safety addition to help you and I would never get rid of them.

I'm thinking of if you get a small leak and you are on the highway and get the low pressure warning, and then you have a chance to pull over before the tire blow up and maybe prevent an accident that could harm you or innocent drivers around you.

It is a safety device that you can live without but it could be the difference between an accident or just flat tire.

Like the ABS, ESC, BAS, etc, they are there to support you and make it safer, but they are not necessary to drive a car

#14 ·
All new Mercedes Benz have these TPMS in them. A lot of other brands are adopting them also, I bet you its just a way for them to make money in the long run because when a tire has no air its gonna be flat. Just imagine changing all four will cost you over $1k easy money for the stealerships!

#15 · (Edited)
I was curious about this ABS rotation sensing vs TPMS sensor also. I am picking up my 2008 R320 this week. The owners manual says Low pressure sensing via tire rotation in Canada, and full TPMS in USA.

So...perhaps the OP Is in canada and his mechanic said he has rotation sensing but the car is from the USA?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.