Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How to reset "Check Tire Pressure" warning?

54K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ct_r500 
#1 ·
My '06 R500 has the 'Tire Pressure Loss Warner' system and ever since I replaced my stock 18" wheels it keeps giving a warning to "Check Tire Pressure" and "Reset run-flat indicator". I set the correct pressure but can't get rid of the warning. I'm assuming that there are no actual sensors in the old wheels. Does anyone know how to clear the warning?

#2 ·
I'm quite sure that there is a sensor in the valve.

If you look at the old whells where the valve is, you should see a "nut" very close to the wheel.

Compare with your new wheels and you should see the difference.

#4 ·
1. Try select instrument cluster menu to the mileage page.
2. Use the up down buttons next to the menu buttons to toggle toward reset tire pressure monitor. Select to confirm the reset.

It appears to me that my '06 has the sensors in the hubs, not the wheels. As I don't see the special valve stems. Could anyone confirm whether later model years moved the sensors to the wheels?

My understanding is that the hub sensor only monitors the sudden change in wheel rotation speed and post the under inflated message; while the sensors in the wheel give realtime pressure reading. My previous SUV has the wheel sensors. I have to invest $400 for the new sensors when I upgraded my wheels. And these sensors are prone to fail and need extra care when changing tires. Now both my cars have the hub sensors so upgrading wheels and changing tires are hassle free. The downside is that I don't get realtime pressure reading. Guess one can't have it all!

#5 ·
AFter going round and round with my previous dealership both you and I have the TPWS (Tire Pressure Warning System) and not the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). Ours detects a pressure loss, and that's all it does. The TPMS actually monitors the pressure in each individual tire. They are two completely different systems.

#6 ·
The valve stems on my old wheels are rubber just like on my new wheels. It is my understanding that sensors have a metal valve stem. And mine do not have a "nut" on the stem. Also, the sensors would give the actual tire pressure for each wheel, which mine does not do. I think nanoera might be right.... Will try to reset as he described. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.