Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Reverse Gear Not Available (speedometer display warning) Issue - 2014 B250

68K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  DEVOURS 
#1 ·
Anyone seen this?

Bought the car last year brand new demo unit (2014 Sports pkg / Premium / No Nav) and barely at 5000km this warning shows up in speedometer display.

Eco-mode shuffling on/off function not possible.

Car is drivable but jerky - basically 2nd gear to start and jumps to 4th gear, then to 6th. Reverse function is gone completely.

I'll upload a picture of the actual warning sign later.

Turning car off does not make it go away. In fact the warning/LCD display stays on. Only after 10-15 minutes of turning off the car and re-starting it does it seem to go away.

Really odd issue. Anyone encounter this, would this have anything to do with the transmission recall in another post?

#2 ·
It sounds as though one of the clutch packs is not working because of the "missing gears" so it is either a bad electrical failure or a lunched transaxle. But look on the bright side, that is why they have warranties.

#4 ·
Reverse Gear impossible

I have my first brand new MB class B, jsut 4 miles out of the seller, it showed the "reverse gear impossible, return to factory", after they have check for one hours and there's no result. And I got the same message several times, they found nothing either, if some knows about the problem, please tell me. thanks

#31 ·
Reverse Gear impossible

I have my first brand new MB class B, jsut 4 miles out of the seller, it showed the "reverse gear impossible, return to factory", after they have check for one hours and there's no result. And I got the same message several times, they found nothing either, if some knows about the problem, please tell me. thanks
We have had a 2013 B180 for about 2 years used 40k miles when bought. We have now had three fault "reverse gear etc" and according to the manual if one shuts down and restarts 3 or 4 times the light goes out and all is normal. Well it doesn't appear to be normal. Our mechanic tells us its fault number is 092177 "Shift valve-Inner shaft-commanded position not received" whatever that means. My wife is getting really anxious that she may break down en route to work or on the motorway. Any ideas guys?

#6 ·
Hi guys, i'm from Brasil and i have a MB A200 W176 (13/14).

Today my car reported exactly the same problem: "Reverse gear not available" and gears shifting only between 2 and 4.

Since today is Saturday and the Mercedes workshop is closed today, they will see the car only monday.

My car is under warranty until 10/2015, so i think it was "good" that it happens now, and not after the end of warranty.

Any news please post. Since i have some news from MB, i will post asap.

#28 ·
Vitória-ES/Brasil: O mesmo ocorreu recentemente com meu GLA 250 Sport/2015. Investigando o problema, levei na MB para levantar o log de erros e evidenciamos que a bateria instalada não era a adequada ao carro. O proprietário antigo do carro instalou uma bateria de 70A enquanto o indicado para esse modelo de carro é a de 80A AGM Heliar. Substitui a bateria e o erro sumiu. Manterei o carro em observação, mas aparentemente o problema foi solucionado.
-----
Same trouble happened with my GLA 250. Went to MB workshop and after a lot of analysis we found that the intaled batery weren't fit for my car model, the previous owner istaled a 70 Ampheres model inspide of a 80 Ampheres batery. I changed the batery (i used Heliar 80A AGM 800 as indicated in MB manual for a start/stop car) and i guess the problem was fixed. I'll keep monitoring the car, but up to now everything is working fine.

#7 ·
CLA 250

MB CLA 250, Feb 2014, 18 000 miles
"Reverse gear not available" message show up 3 times in last 6 months.
2 times message gone by turning engine off and let it cool down for 15 minutes.
3d time is worst one.
Check engine is ON
Message of unavailable reversing is on the screen
gears shifting only between 1, 3 and 5 with huge RPM noises in between shifting
Driving mode button - M/S/E - does not work
Reverse gear is not available

Let car cool down for an hour - no luck.

Avoiding of highways and reversing driving get to MB dealer and left car (it happened on Sunday) at dealer's parking lot.

On Monday morning we have checked the car with MB rep and surprise:
- no message "reverse is unavailable"
- car can drive back
- did not check gear shifting however
- Check engine light is ON

They took the car and will check the code.

Note: 2 months ago I had "failed O2" sensor error code and dealer said that the sensor is ok but the problem was
about on-board firmware. They reset the firmware.

I guess they will do same "reset" today by saying that the clutch is fine.

#25 ·
CLA 250

MB CLA 250, Feb 2014, 18 000 miles
"Reverse gear not available" message show up 3 times in last 6 months.
2 times message gone by turning engine off and let it cool down for 15 minutes.
3d time is worst one.
Check engine is ON
Message of unavailable reversing is on the screen
gears shifting only between 1, 3 and 5 with huge RPM noises in between shifting
Driving mode button - M/S/E - does not work
Reverse gear is not available

Let car cool down for an hour - no luck.

Avoiding of highways and reversing driving get to MB dealer and left car (it happened on Sunday) at dealer's parking lot.

On Monday morning we have checked the car with MB rep and surprise:
  • no message "reverse is unavailable"
  • car can drive back
  • did not check gear shifting however
  • Check engine light is ON

They took the car and will check the code.

Note: 2 months ago I had "failed O2" sensor error code and dealer said that the sensor is ok but the problem was
about on-board firmware. They reset the firmware.

I guess they will do same "reset" today by saying that the clutch is fine.
I had the same problema with my GLA 250: error "Reversing not possible". Some other strange things happens sometimes, like "low key battery", the parking sensors doesn't work properly etc.
I tried the procedure
Gearbox problems

Has no one tried to re-set the gearbox as outlined in my post No 9 ?
I had the same problema with my GLA 250/2015: error "Reversing not possible", 2ht and 4th gear available only, can't swicth on/off the ECO mode and drive mode (E/S/M). Some other strange things happens sometimes, like "low key battery" (i already changed the battery 3 times), the parking sensors doesn't work properly (sounds turn off) etc. I tried the procedure described in #9 and i hope will works. But, for safety reasons, i'm going today to MB workshop.

#8 ·
Continue with "reverse not available"

CLA 250 left for Sunday overnight at dealer parking lot.
At 7:30 am monday morning dealer rep have checked the car and SURPISE!!!
No "reverse not available" message, car able to move in reverse.
We did not check gears shifting however.
Luckily "Check Engine" light is still ON.

Dealer took the car for the day.

At the end of day the result is:
- error code was 092500 - the shift valce of hollow shaft has a mulfunction
- recommended: to perform software update on Y3/14N4 electronic transmission control
- software was update. codes are 024613, 270641, 271047
NO mechanical problem with clutch itself found

I get car back Monday evening. It runs OK. I will see how long this update survive

#9 ·
With reference to these gear box problems, have any of you tried this? It might just reset the electronics.

7G-DCT transmission reset method
For 2015 w/ Keyless-go

1) Get in car & shut the door.
2) Turn car to On (do not start), by pressing twice on Start button.
3) Turn off all lights/electronics
3) Hold down gas pedal to floor.
4) Wait 20+ seconds and then turn car Off by pressing the Start button once.
5) Wait 20+ seconds continuing to hold down gas pedal to floor, take foot off gas pedal & don't touch anything...
6) After car system completely goes quiet (about 2+ mins), you can open the door and get out of the car...

For the ones that are using a key

1) Turn off car and all lights/eletronics
2) Turn key 2 clicks (the one right before your engine gets turned on)
3) Hold down gas pedal (all the way to the floor) for 20+ seconds
4) Turn Key all the way back to the left (position before you pull it out)
5) Wait 20+ seconds continuing to hold down gas pedal to floor, take foot off gas pedal & don't touch anything...
6) After car system completely goes quiet (about 2+ mins), you can open the door and get out of the car...

This will reset the shift points your car shifts at by resetting the "adaptation" that the car was electronically programmed to do. For the next 40 shifts, it will "re-adapt" to your driving style.

You should drive it for the next 40 shifts how you "usually" drive your car to get the more "accurate" adaptation.

#12 ·
Hey there, my 2016 CLA200 got the same issue with error "reversing not poss" and then R-1-3-5-7 gears all missing!!
Restarting the engine doing fine but it will randomly occur again, usually when driving to a stop and then the transmission trying to downshift from D2 to D1 at the stop, then, the error popup and staying in D2 until restarting the engine.

The car was running quite fine when there is no error, smooth shift without big noise or much lurching although still jerky under low speed (below 10km/h), but then the error happened twice this week, and restarting engine still fine, booked a schedule with service center but they only available on next Monday :(.

Do anyone can share more on if this problem can really be fixed in service center? Is it just a simple program reflash / update and then won't happen again?

FYI: not sure if it related but I did changed the main battery last month due to insufficient voltage (just 8.xV on one day suddenly, previous day still fine but suddenly died, won't charge after driving for an hour, and still can't start the engine once), lasted just 1.5 year with ECO START/STOP OFF all the time. Finally replaced with a AGM battery with same capacity as the original one outside the dealer.

Truly disappointed with the quality of Mercedes-Benz, a brand new car just 1.5 year and already just as fault as any car like used for 10 years :(

#13 ·
That is awful, never heard of that happening so cannot help. However, strange things do happen to the electronics when you change a battery without maintaining a 12v supply throughout. You can purchase a small battery driven device that fits in the 12v socket, that will retain all the info whilst the battery is removed. Let us know how you get on with Mercedes.

#15 ·
Thanks for your reply, but for my case I don't think simple reset the adaptation would work.
My car was sent to the workshop 2 weeks ago and they did checked and found nothing wrong with my transmission so they just simply updated the transmission program as well as performed some sort of resetting and throw back to me.

2 days later after weekend driving with a lot of traffic and start/stop trips, the problems finally re-occurring with the same symptoms - cannot downshift to 1st at completely stop and then error shown and missing gears afterward.

Finally I send my car to the workshop again, but lucky me this time I managed to reproduce the error just before arriving the workshop, so I just throw the car to them with the error happening and they've no excuse of "unable to reproduce" to close my case. This time, after some long waiting (2 weeks) and they did admitted it is the faulty "transmission control module" after some testing. Now they've ordered it and I've to wait for another 2 weeks for the parts, it's extremely disappointing quality with Mercedes-Benz.

#16 ·
Sorry to hear your tribulations, at least you can now get the problem sorted. Mercedes is no better and no worse than the other makers, I should know, I've owned a lot of makes in my 65 years on the road!!!! When sorted you will be able enjoy what is a very nice car to drive. I particularly like the brakes "Hold" feature.

#17 ·
Thank you!
But sorry this story wasn't end yet, I just got back my car 2 days ago with new TCU module replaced, new DCT fluid and gasket seal... etc, but just right after 2 hours later I can reproduce the exactly same issues 2 times when driving around, and the 2nd time even with CEL on persistently, didn't go away even after restart (the shift is resumed fine after restart, but not the CEL).

The next day, I just send my car back to the dealer again, and intended to reproduce the same issue to them, but sadly the CEL just went away after I parked there and restarted the car, and also unable to reproduce the same issues during test drive with them.

Remark: If you have time I hope if you can do a small experiments for me, I wanna know the D2 to D1 downshift delay is common or just specified to my case - please try the C (Comfort) mode, after the trans was shifted to D2 or above, then when slowing down to < 5km/h and don't just stop it immediately, instead, let it rolls for some distance with very slow speed (< 5km/h) maybe 5-10 seconds and more, it won't shift to D1 when rolling slowly until a complete stop. For my case if i let it rolls slowly long enough with D2, then later come to a complete stop, the shift from D2 to D1 will be delayed sometime (randomly) even when already to complete stop, and will have some chances that it cannot downshift to D1 with error messages (reversing not poss), during the delayed downshift I can definitely feel the "shifting" was in process, and even retried for few times, sometime it maybe just knock for 2-3 times and done, sometime after 2-3 times and will get error.

Thanks!!

#18 ·
I will do just that and come back to you. I spend a lot of time stop start motoring so that will be no problem. You can beat these DSG gearbox's by braking quickly down to a low speed and then suddenly accelerate away. The box gets caught in two minds and will stall for a second or so. Your problem may lie here. Regards, John.

#23 ·
When starting the car make sure your foot is down hard enough to get HOLD on the screen I was told that this is the cause of the problem after resetting as the post switching off the engine 20+SECS. I was pressing the break not hard enough when starting.

#26 ·
I think this might help, take your time starting the car press the brake pedal to the floor for about 45 seconds with the key switched on then start the car. This cured my problem the gears changed normally after. It does state this in the handbook. The warning sign will not show after .Remember let the car warm up after before driving off.
Regards Chris

#33 ·
Welcome to the forum !..This info helps all of us here..

The forum index is organized / grouped according to Mercedes chassis designation, usually one letter followed by 3 digits / numbers
, and the section covers all engine / versions the chassis came with.

To find the forum section = chassis for your car, please click FIND YOUR FORUM SECTION

And Complete your Profile by adding the year???? and model????? of your car, so it will show next to every future post under your avatar.
Members are not likely to search for the one post the model of the car is mentioned.

The forum section archives have a wealth of DIY / technical information.
When researching an issue / posting, you can also Search the forum archives of your chassis section via the 'Search Community' box on top..

The stickies on top of the 'Welcome' section will help to navigate the site.