Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

B200 Turbo weird noise while driving

7K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  KiwiTrev 
#1 · (Edited)
B200 is giving me some weird noise while driving. Noise is more like an old airplane passing. No kidding, that's what I heard. The noise is more prominent when I steered left slowly while changing lanes. It's mostly coming from the right front wheel. No vibration from the gas pedal. Everything smooth except this noise. I am not expecting the car to run like a brand new but this noise doesn't look like normal to me. Car is already hit 10 years and the mileage is 111000 kms.

Recently I changed oil, air filter,cabin filter and changed winter tires. But the noise was already there before I did anything with the car. Help and suggestions will be much appreciated.
@DEVOURS @Mike Tee

#6 ·
wheel bearing is now replaced. smooth ride again but ABS/ESP light is on. The mechanic told me, I need to drive few miles and the warning will go off. If it doesn;t, told me to bring the car again.
Any clue about this warning?

#8 ·
Everything went crazy. ABS/ESP lights on, run flat indicator inoperative, triangle light, engine light on and even the Fuel gauge level indicator not working. I feel completely ripped off with this garage.
I just let them change the wheel bearing. Hard earned cash are now flowing like a water.

#10 ·
Everything went crazy. ABS/ESP lights on, run flat indicator inoperative, triangle light, engine light on and even the Fuel gauge level indicator not working. .
If you can clear the code , usually all of the dash lights and warnings will also disappear.

I don't know about the fuel gauge not working though..that's a new one for us here..

Good luck... and do let us know ......

#11 ·
They said speed sensor need to be replace. Is it normal or the Mechanic break the sensor while removing and putting it again?

#15 ·
What if the sensor was fine before but while handling ,the Mechanic somehow damaged the sensor or it is not seated properly.
If the speed sensor had problem, before the wheel bearing replacement, shouldn't I be having the ABS warning?
I heard little debris or excessive grease on the contacts can also give ABS warnings.

#22 · (Edited)
So what exactly happened to the car?
- A few weeks ago, I noticed heavy grinding more like engine noise while driving. It became more worst when I steered or speed up. I went to this garage to check my B. I have been told it's wheel bearing that needs to be replaced. Quoted me the amount for the job. Wheel bearing is replaced, noticed tons of warning lights and errors on the dashboard. I asked the Mechanic, what are these warnings? He told me, the warning might go off after driven the car for a while. That doesn't impress me.
Next day, I took the car on the highway, saw more errors such as Fuel gauge level reading is dead, speed fluctuation, cruise mode is disabled beside ABS/ESP warning and Run-flat inoperative.

I just found with lots of research that ABS/ESP warning lights on blocked the Fuel gauge level reading. Strange huh!

I never able to know whether the Mechanic broke the sensor while handling. So, I had to take the car to the same garage and they found it's the speed sensor.
The previous Mechanic did a good job on B. Garage owner told me, everytime when we changed wheel bearing, they also need to change the speed sensor. Not really convincing to me. If speed sensor had a problem before, I should have ABS/ESP warning. I never had once.

Solution:
I told them, I can't pay any penny. This kind of mishandling and returning the car without checking properly was unacceptable and very unprofessional.
Now the car is back in great shape. They never told me properly how it was fixed. I suspect they also disconnect my battery cable to reset something. I noticed my radio and time were off. I didn't pay anything for the sensor. They wasted my precious time way too much. Going back and forward to the garage was so annoying. I will never let them touch my B again.
Lesson learned and they lost the valued customer once for all. I was one of the valued customers in that place.
Thank you, everyone, for the optimism.

#30 ·
So what exactly happened to the car?
- A few weeks ago, I noticed heavy grinding more like engine noise while driving. It became more worst when I steered or speed up. I went to this garage to check my B. I have been told it's wheel bearing that needs to be replaced. Quoted me the amount for the job. Wheel bearing is replaced, noticed tons of warning lights and errors on the dashboard. I asked the Mechanic, what are these warnings? He told me, the warning might go off after driven the car for a while. That doesn't impress me.
Next day, I took the car on the highway, saw more errors such as Fuel gauge level reading is dead, speed fluctuation, cruise mode is disabled beside ABS/ESP warning and Run-flat inoperative.

I just found with lots of research that ABS/ESP warning lights on blocked the Fuel gauge level reading. Strange huh!

I never able to know whether the Mechanic broke the sensor while handling. So, I had to take the car to the same garage and they found it's the speed sensor.
The previous Mechanic did a good job on B. Garage owner told me, everytime when we changed wheel bearing, they also need to change the speed sensor. Not really convincing to me. If speed sensor had a problem before, I should have ABS/ESP warning. I never had once.

Solution:
I told them, I can't pay any penny. This kind of mishandling and returning the car without checking properly was unacceptable and very unprofessional.
Now the car is back in great shape. They never told me properly how it was fixed. I suspect they also disconnect my battery cable to reset something. I noticed my radio and time were off. I didn't pay anything for the sensor. They wasted my precious time way too much. Going back and forward to the garage was so annoying. I will never let them touch my B again.
Lesson learned and they lost the valued customer once for all. I was one of the valued customers in that place.
Thank you, everyone, for the optimism.
I have a strange quiet knocking coming from the left side...rear I think but maybe front of my 2007 B200T when easy acceleration straight or turning slightly right, have tried the normal CV checks and just passed a WOF here in NZ (Similar to your MOT), I asked the inspector and he didn't notice anything loose or worn.... Sounds not good though!
Any thoughts?
Also mine takes ages to warm up but hasn't thrown a P0128 code? Do B200s usually throw a code in this instance? regards.

#26 ·
I changed many wheel bearings in my life on various car...not fun.
On ABS equipped car, you sometime need to remove the sensor.
On many of them, they get stuck in the bore because of rust.
Removing them needs twisting, pulling, oiling.
Many does not survive this.
So I can understand why this happens on your car.
On the other end, the mechanic should have inform you of this possibility before taking the job.
He should also test ride the car to verify if all was fine.

The WIS is a b... to install but worth it!

#28 ·
Mercedes Benz WIS - TIS Service Repair Workshop Manuals | eBay

Here is one example.

Does not list the B Class...but it still might/should be in there.

I bought my WIS and it did not list the older or any B Class. When installed in a virtual XP mode,..all MB's were present including the B Class and B CLass Turbo in all shapes and forms and CDI's..

Check with seller to see if the B Class (2006..on) is listed . He would have to open the program up and check the vehicles listed inside the program..The newer upgraded B from 2009 might not be there though.

You have to install it in XP mode..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.