Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Transmission acting up - help please

9K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  pfsantos 
#1 ·
Hi, newbie joining the forum. I have a 2006 B200, 85k with no major problems until a day ago. Started the engine and wanted to put it in rear to back out from the driveway. No movement. The shifter goes through all the gears, the engine revs up when I depress the gas pedal. I had a couple or more random instances in the past when the shifter got stuck in R but after pushing it in park and back again it worked perfectly.

the wheels are most likely blocked, I will have to tow it to service. Any ideas of what might be the problem? There are no codes and no trouble messages / lights on the dashboard. Thank you in advance for any input or recommendations ....

#2 ·
Start searching through the forum.

Your model year may mean the cvt is pooched. Time for a used or new one. Either way its a dealer fix.
If you have a trusted indie MB mechanic he may be able to help, but most likely he'll be limited.

When mine acted up it was the TCU, was able to drive normally until it went into limp mode too often. CEL did occur each time. Thankfully it was an extended warranty fix (dealer only).

I researched before buying and was ready for a transmission issue if it were to happen.

You may have to make some difficult decisions.

#3 ·
Thank you, I wasn't expecting it this early though. The dealer option is definitely a hit to the budget and the closest is booked solid until after Christmas.

I'll have my mechanic look at it first and decide after... I will place an update as soon as I have one.

#5 ·
Never buy a Mercedes on a budget. Or at least have a line of credit available for such "emergencies".

CVT fluid/filter needs to be changed every 60,000 kms (typically $450). However, mechanical defects are not predictable unless you are somehow abusing it.

#6 ·
Alright, the transmission system trouble is confirmed. There are two codes:

2723 Impermissible opening of hydraulic brake Reverse gear has occurred in the continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT)
2732 Impermissible opening of hydraulic clutch Forward gear has occurred in the continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT)

I am pissed right now. This car was maintained by the MB dealer, never abused, low mileage, under 10k /year since we bought it. The car was running perfectly until two days ago when I wanted to get it out from the driveway.This is a first in my life and I didn't expected it from the Mercedes. Major let down....

Wondering if the transmission can be fixed and if yes, for how much? given its age it may not be worth it. What a shame...it looks like new otherwise

#11 ·
Well, not sure yet... My mechanic was super busy and he only got to remove the valve body and drain the oil. Apparently no shavings found. The oil is thick but I assume it is from sitting outside in the cold and unmoved for a week. (It was replaced at 60k)

Next week he will check the solenoids ...fingers crossed.

I will post updates ...

Happy Holidays!

#13 ·
Last Update

Final diagnostic - Valve body cracked! Wow ... really Merceceds-Benz? I wanted to attach a photo but it doesn't work for some reason.

My wife loves a lot this car and for the low mileage we decided to give it another life. Brand new valve body (found a used one with warranty but not much cheaper), set back over 2k ... life goes on.

I am just appalled that this issue came up with a brand that posts its quality standards as their main advantage over their competition. Since it sounds like this is a significant design flaw and more of a rule than an exemption, I hope they fixed the problem in the later models.

For those of you who still own one like me, try not to drive her in cold weather and the best of luck!

#14 · (Edited)
Your are lucky it wasn't the actual transmission itself.

Who did your work? Where are you from?

My valve body without warranty at the dealer would have been $2300. It is $1700 just for the part, plus the fluid/filter change. Valve body from dealer has a 2 year warranty. Mine wasn't cracked, but the little wire in the epoxy was broken enough not to send a consistent signal to "output shaft sensor A blah, blah, blah".

I did my research and expected it (if at all) and was ready for an issue. I still love my car. Its the first one I've been actually attached to of many vehicles I've owned.

Not my pics, but just for a visual.

Attachments

#16 ·
Yes, the dealer sells the valve body only complete with the electronic part which sounds like a big waste. They also want to defective part returned.

Not too many independent mechanics are willing to work on these transmissions but I was lucky to find someone local (K-W).

#21 ·
If they're interchangeable, thats a bonus. I think because mine was brand new, it can only be programmed by the dealers and they use your VIN to order the part. I was sent to the dealer by three reputable indies who don't have the diagnostic/computer access like the dealer has.

Mercedes of all the German autos, are the most secretive when it comes to sharing information, especially US built ones.

#22 ·
Got the transmission message on the dash. Have spent to much time and money on this car. Now it needs a new TCM, doesn't heat up in the winter, antifreeze disappearing, sunroof leaking, A?C is not working. Car is finished. Just wanted to thank everyone on this forum that helped me to keep this car running for as long as it has but its time to throw in the towel. Sad thing is we loved this car and maintained it well. My wife and I test driving new cars that are in the B segment and we still find that the B runs great. Just too much upkeep. Wont be buying a Mercedes again. Anyway this is Gagan15 signing off. Again thank you everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.