Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Where to get a key fob and service done in Montreal

6K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  hafiez 
#1 ·
Hello!

I contacted the dealers in Montreal to get a spare key made for my B200, they want 470 CAD, lol. Also I got a notification for the next service , it reads "Service C in 25 days", the items for the service are:

- Service 1 (really nothing to be checked, a list of dumb things)
- Service 3 (oil and oil filter change)
- Service 8 (filter air change)
- Service 12 (spark plug change)

Since I got an extended warranty for this car I have to keep track of the services but I definitely don't want to go with the dealer. I wonder if someone knows in Montreal where to get this service done for a fair amount and also where to get a duplicate for my key here in Montreal.

Thx for any info in advance!

#3 ·
Yup, as Ghost said, key will need to come from Dealership. That price sounds a little high, but unfortunately it is high none-the-less. I was quoted once Key is about $250 and 1hr to program using STAR $150.

As for servicing, anyone who is familiar with B class or is a Mercedes qualified shop can do the work. Should cost you about 25-30% less (mostly labour). Make sure you keep receipts and records and have them enter work into your log book.

#4 ·
I only know that because when I was taking out a GLK I was interested in a second time, the salesguy said he was missing the books and the second key (somebody stole them?). He mentioned the close to $500 mark and it coming from Germany MB.

#7 · (Edited)
My indie mechanic goes over everything each visit and only suggests what should be done, not by the MB schedule.

For example, MB recommends flushing the brake fluid every 20,000 kms. I'm pretty sure that can be extended greatly.

At 120,000 the CVT service should definitely be done. I'm about 20,000 away. Important because the biggest hit to the wallet is that CVT going down due to abuse and neglect.

#12 ·
Best recommended grade of oil for the B is Mobil 1 ..0W40 ESP (a little lower ash content).

My dealer installs 5W30 Synthetics as a rule in the B Class.. Quaker State or Castrol "full synthetic"..etc..(if you just ask for an oil change)..and then extra $$ for the Mobil 1.. So therefore ..all of the full synthetics main brands will be fine.

I use Pennzoil "Ultra" as a higher quality oil,..but it's becoming harder to find.. So I'll probably resort to Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum in the future .. They all do the job perfectly well if changed on a regular basis..
I change mine at 10,000 km....but if rolling in "super cold" weather..-30's etc..,..go with the 0W40..

As to the spark plug #'s,..I'll let the Turbo boys and girls step in here.

....and the oil filter is the same for both B's.. at the dealer..~$12..

#23 ·
So I called this indy garage that was recommended to me (Montreal), I was quoted 250 CAD for air filter, oil filter and oil change. Asked for the price for the spark plug replacement and the manager asked me "is it turbo?": To my affirmative response he answered "oh, my god, no price, no price, it is a pain and takes up to 6 hours to be replaced, my advice is to not change them unless you are getting misfires"

Lol

So I bought my filters, will take the car to a normal oil change to pay the normal price and later will try on my own the spark plug replacement, I am sure I will save a couple hundred bucks to spend with the kids.

#25 ·
Yes, I hear the same about the plugs. ONE plug is the pain in the arse and having it on the hoist is recommended. I had misfires go on temporarily, but once I kept using Shell 91 V-Power consistently, they've stopped. My car hates gas with ethanol it seems. :twak:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.