Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Recommended modifications and extra's for your B-class

110K views 114 replies 27 participants last post by  Bangers;B200 
#1 ·
After breaking into someone else's topic, I would like to start a new thread where we can give general tips and tricks for our B-class.
For example, if you believe you have found a nice modification, accessory, or whatever, please mention it here (photo's appreciated)!

I don't have a clue whether I can make this thread "sticky", but would greatly appreciate a moderator's help here.

My first suggestion is to install a lifehammer + compact fire extinguisher (Sparco Fireater) below the driver's seat. This was discussed previously over here. A pic of the mod. is below. I have made a small tutorial over here (with part numbers); I know my tutorial is in Dutch, but I have added so much photo's that you cannot miss it.

Arjen.

Attachments

See less See more
#35 ·
The stainless one makes funny reflections on the tailgate too, in the sun. I think all of the W246 cars have it though.

#36 ·
I have the same black one as Arjen and it is great. You can peel it off and replace it if it ever gets damaged or really scuffed. It's just peel and stick. The stainless-look replacement one is only for the facelift models, and I don't think it is peel and stick. Originally, I wanted the stainless one, but it does not fit on the pre-facelift vehicles and I would need to replace the rear bumper.

This black one is somewhat shiny and I though it would look out of place with all the chrome on the car, but it doesn't. It is shiny enough that it works well. And it too casts a funny reflection on the tailgate, but not as bright as the stainless one.

Flying Tiger in Vancouver has them. I think they're like $60 or something. Eddie from Flying Tiger installed mine and it took 5 mins.

#39 ·
So let me add another suggested modification for your B-class... the interior lights. At the time the W245 was still made, there was an option to buy the "interior lighting" package.
That package included:
  • Reading lights in the front (in dome light)
  • Footrest illumination (in the front only)
  • Courtesy lights in the doors (front only)
  • Reading lights in the rear
  • Illuminated sun blinds

Even though the additional price of this optional package was less than EUR300 at the time, very few cars tend to have it.
To be honest, I think that adding some interior lights dramatically adds to the luxurious feeling/looks of the car. Let me comment on each of the "interior lighting package" items below.

Reading lights in the front
If your car does not have the reading lights in the front (also installed in combination with other options, such as the automatically dimmable rear view mirror, the anti-theft alarm system, sliding lamella roof, etc.), then you must change the dome light. Though this should not be difficult, you must be aware that it is not a matter of the proverbial "plug and play". You must pull whole new wiring from the SAM unit (=relays box) and probably even from the fuse box (these dome lights have a way thicker leads wire). Hence, not recommended as a first retrofit.

Footrest illumination
If there is one thing that is (1) easy to retrofit, (2) inexpensive, (3) DRAMATICALLY adds to your car's interior, then it is this one. Though Mercedes-Benz originally only delivered footrest illumination in the front, it is fairly easy to install it in the rear as well. Please see this tutorial on how to do it.

Courtesy lights in the doors
Here's another option that is adding so much to the looks of your car that you wonder why on earth Mercedes-Benz did not install by default. Slightly more work than the footrest illumination, but a comparable price for this retrofit.
As with the footrest illumination, Mercedes-Benz particularly cared for the people in the front, and did not supply courtesy lights in the rear doors. Yet, thanks to "Naamloos" we can easily do it in the rear doors as well; see this thread with part numbers summarised by "Gole" on this page. See this link (and over here) for an explanation of how to remove your door panels.

Reading lights in the rear
This option implies that you take out the rear handles from the headliner, and replace them with handles that have small reading lights and a switch included. They look nice, but they are only compatible with dome lights that have the reading lights as well, and... you must be willing to take out the entire headliner in order to pull your wiring. As such this retrofit is not expensive (basically you only need a standard cable harness and two new handles with lights) but it takes some effort to install. If I find the time and motivation to do this over summer, I will edit this posting and include a small tutorial and hyperlink it from here.

Illuminated sun blinds
This is the most expensive retrofit of two small lights. If you don't have these two lights under your sun blinds, you will see a pre-stamped place in the headliner where they should have been. Just to remind you that you had not ordered them :(
I would, however, NOT advise to retrofit them. First of all you need to cut your headliner :eek:, second, this is insanely expensive as you also need to replace the entire sun blinds. Therewith the entire retrofit of these two small lights easily costs you some EUR300 excluding all effort to retrofit them (hence more than the original price of the entire interior lighting package). Too bad.

So far for this suggestion; comments welcome. I am currently busy with some other retrofits; I hope to expand this list soon.
Best,

Arjen.

#40 ·
I fitted the stainless steel bumper protector to my 2007 B200 W245. It looks great. It is only desogned for the facelift post 2008 models as it clips into the bumper however you can cut the clips of the new cover and only use the pegs after drilling a couple of locating holes to stop it moving about. Use tiger seal or sikaflexc and hey presto it looks o.e.

#42 ·
opening the hatch door with your fob key

Actually popping up the trunk seems to be an easy task, but you have to do it on your own risk.
First, you have to buy a three buttons key case as this one (around 14 usd)

Second, get the chip out of your key, you will notice two switchs ( buttons) are on the board, and in the place of the third button are only two silver metal connectors.

All you have to do is get a button that is the same size (in my case was a button from an old MP3 played) and then solder it to those silver connectors.
Be extra careful not to burn anything on the chip by overheating.

Last, insert the chip and the battery into the new case with the three buttons.

Now everytime you need to popup the trunk just keep pressing the third button for three seconds and.....magic happends

Attachments

#43 ·
Actually popping up the trunk seems to be an easy task, but you have to do it on your own risk.
First, you have to buy a three buttons key case as this one (around 14 usd)

Second, get the chip out of your key, you will notice two switchs ( buttons) are on the board, and in the place of the third button are only two silver metal connectors.

All you have to do is get a button that is the same size (in my case was a button from an old MP3 played) and then solder it to those silver connectors.
Be extra careful not to burn anything on the chip by overheating.

Last, insert the chip and the battery into the new case with the three buttons.

Now everytime you need to popup the trunk just keep pressing the third button for three seconds and.....magic happends
OK. Nice but where does one get the case. Do you have a link for same.

#49 ·
Hello to you...

First, you have new version of key and you cant remove electric board from it as on previous versions...
But the battery changing is pretty easy.
Remove metal blade key and press button inside key and back plate will pop out. You can reach battery now.

Cheers

Attachments

#53 ·
Thanks gole...

My 2 keys are original from 2005 and are all black on one side and with a small chrome plastic MB symbol on one side and also without any panic or alarm button on the other side and only 2 functions showing on it..ie:.."open and close functions only".. There is place for a third function but that space is blank..

No added chrome on the sides of my keys.

#58 ·
I just bought a B200 and should get it very soon, and I'm very excited. This is my first post here (yay!)

Has anyone ever considered this illuminated star? Is it even available for the B-class? I think it looks pretty sweet.

The Illuminated Star Car Accessories from Mercedes-Benz

That's awesome! might look a little out of place, as it's white LED, and our models don't have LED lights (unless you install a strip). My Xenon's are of the factory soft white, with a hint of yellow. Not the newer tide with bleach white, so it'll look a little funny. If you have H7 halogens, you can swap those out for the super white ones for relatively cheap.

If you try this, please post pics. How much would the illuminated ring cost?

#60 ·
Hey forum, does anybody can confirm with me the correct position/location of our front temperature sensor?

It should be stick out in front of our bottom front grill rite? Somewhere near the foglight but doesn't share the same casing with the foglight.