post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz B-Class B200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Alternator Problems

Problem started last week with the "Battery Alternator visit workshop" light coming on. Taken to the garage for diagnosis and I'm told the "clutch pulley" has seized and in turn has snapped the belt.
Anyone know if this a part that is replaceable on its own and if so where would you buy one ?
Car is a B200 turbo diesel (B245) 2005, I think the photo below is a blown out diagram of the alternator assembly but I'm not sure which part the clutch pulley is or if its advisable to just replace this part ?

Any advice greatly received as at the minute I'm staring at a big bill just before Christmas.
Cheers
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '83 W123 200 '98 E200 Kompressor (both Euro-spec., 200 in Portugal, E200 Now in Canada!), '08 B200
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Clutch pulley? Not familiar with the name...probably just an M-B fancy name or the garage making stuff up. The next question I'd ask is what shop this is and if you know them to be trusty.

Anyways, belt tension on modern cars is done with a tensioner and pulley assembly. Basically a spring applies tension to a pulley which keeps the belt at the right tension. So I don't think you're having Alternator problems. I think your tensioner pulley bearing seized (age, km, or sometimes a dust/grease seal giving out and the bearing looses its lube) and the belt kept sliding on the pulley until it melted or destroyed itself. Any burning rubber smell or tiny marbles of rubber?

Once the belt goes, the alternator stops (spun by the belt) and the light would go on.

What's the repair bill or quote? What parts?

Lastly, please fill in your profile with car info and location. You're obviously not in N.A., since it's a diesel, but maybe you're close by to some of the guys across the pond.

Good luck.

Paul (Paulo Santos)
'83 W123 200, '98 W210 E200K, '08 W245 B200
* Feel free to PM me if needed *
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz B-Class B200
(Thread Starter)
Trust the garage, well I think I do.
I'm in the UK, the first quote was for a full replacement alternator which was £420 fully fitted. (Google says around $650) which I made a funny noise down the phone about. The owner of the garage then had another look and said it wouldn't need a fully alternator just the part I mentioned in the first post the clutch pulley as this part had seized and cause the belt to snap.
I'll get out of him which part he is talking about and update the forum later, as I've found over the last few days I can't find a lot of B Class specific alternator problems on the few websites I've been to.

thanks for the good luck wishes, always appreciated!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '83 W123 200 '98 E200 Kompressor (both Euro-spec., 200 in Portugal, E200 Now in Canada!), '08 B200
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Well, I decided to be humble and googled "alternator clutch pulley". Mind blown:

Overrunning alternator pulley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought I knew alternators well enough, but this is def. interesting. A clutch system to smooth out alternator rotation.

Your garage is probably right on. And yes, haven't seen this issue come up yet.

edit: see video link at bottom (footnote)...nice!

Paul (Paulo Santos)
'83 W123 200, '98 W210 E200K, '08 W245 B200
* Feel free to PM me if needed *

Last edited by pfsantos; 11-20-2012 at 08:59 AM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Working on engine of the B can be such a nasty piece of work. I'll try and dig up some pics later.

The alternator does look accessible from underneath but there definitely isn't much room to work under there. If the tensioner is at fault, then it's going to be a tight repair. That quote is probably for a rebuilt alternator as a 'new one' would probably be a gazillion $. I would have bet that the bearing had seized at the far side where the part #100(pulley) marries with the alternator body. Alternator clutching is also new to me..

You list your B as a 2005 but I'm guessing that it's a 2006 purchased late in 2005. How many miles do you have on it?

If it's got a lot of mileage on it then changing the tensioner out at this time is probably a good idea too...if it's easy to do.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Here are a few helpful pics to give you a basic view of the alternator and tensioner location. There does seem to be a clutch-like pulley(pic #1) in my pics of the B engine and my pics don't show your #'s 110 or 100 very well.

The alternator is the the round piece in the bottom left front corner of the engine photo.(pic #1)
The tensioner and supporting bracket (pic #2 and showing separated from the engine in this pic) seems like a nasty and expensive piece to change,..that is ...."if you have to change it". Let's hope not. The #3 is the tensioner wheel,.. and the long bar is used to release the tension on the poly-belt for removal purposes only.

Maybe they can drop the alternator and just change out the clutch system and place it back and re-install the new poly-belt showing in my pic.

Good luck and let us know what had to be done.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8901 (Large).jpg
Views:	7817
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	480344   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8907 (Large).jpg
Views:	3759
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	480345  

Last edited by DEVOURS; 11-21-2012 at 12:48 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 05:13 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2015
I own a 2008 B200 have replaced the alternator twice. First time 40,000 kilometers, second time 85,000 kilometers. The second time the alternator caught on fire with smoke, first time had the electrical smell but no smoke.
MB can offer no reason why 2 alternators. Recently at 97,000 kilometers had an oil leak, replaced oil neck $69 part. No one is sure that will fix the leak. May be a head gasket cover.
Has anyone had alternator problems like this? Has anyone had a head gasket cover go at this kind of mileage?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 05:23 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2015
i just posted alternator problems with my 2008 replaced alternator twice, first time 40,000 kilometers second time 85,000 kilometers caught on fire with lots of smoke. I am in Canada.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 08:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: see signature
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Tee
Head Gasket Cover?

What is that? Cam cover gasket maybe?

Ate two alternators eh? My car ate two starters in 120,000 km....now at 188,000.

2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200 5 speed
2006 smart BRABUS Tailor Made Canada 1 cdi cabriolet
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, for the kids
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection, restoration underway
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 06:07 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2016
Vehicle: 2006 B200T, 2014GLK250Bluetech, 2004 BMW R1150R, 2016 Mazda CX3
my 2006 with 192000km , still on orginal battery,but alernator charging verry poorly and is time to replace or rebuild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W245 B-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.