Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Inside the CVT

21K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  vanctour 
#1 ·
The Orange County section of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America had a couple of tech sessions at the MBUSA Learning and Performance Center here in California. There was a cut-away B-Class CVT used for training technicians in the transmission classroom. Here are a few pictures for anyone who might like to see the inside of one and a picture with mechanical parts labeled.

The CVT fluid change is ‘Service Code 20’. I called around before I had mine done and was was quoted $280 (+tax) in ON and BC for the CVT fluid change.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Cool! nice pics. I just can't really picture how it works, but I get the basic concept. I can't see how the variable-ness (infinite gearing) works. It's totally different than the picture I had in my head with two cones and a rubber band.

Now if only someone had a video of this exact tranny at work, then I might be able to vision it.

#8 ·
I love my CVT. no lag like in the autos. I currently have a 2010 C300W4M loaner (starter issue, will explain in new thread), and my little CVT pulls uphill smoother, but not quieter than the c class. It also doesn't have that little lag time to gear down and go. Mind you the b is not faster going uphill, although it feels that way. The v6 is more powerful, but it needs to gear down first and then explode with power up the hill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.