Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

prefered B200 model year(s)/configuration(s) - Canada

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Mike Tee 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking for a 'new to me', used B200.
I've scanned the threads/forums looking for a breakdown of the differences in B200 model years.
It does seem that the 'Premium' and 'Sport' options add/subtract things from year to year AND that there was a face-lift (cosmetic, mechanical?) for the 2008 model.
Dream would be: 200T, Horizon Blue, Beige interior, Premium & Sound package... needless to say, still dreaming! lol
Suggestions, advice welcomed for preffered model year/configuration.
eg. '20xx, option package' and why you think this is a good choice.
Thanks to all! :thumbsup:

#2 · (Edited)
I have a late build (APRIL 2007) 2007 B200. Seems to be unaffected by 2006 and early 2007 rust issues (knock wood). I can't tell the difference between any of the years - the redesign was pretty minor.

We have the premium package - sunroof, alloys, heated seats, and a few other bits an bobs. Everything I could ever want except Bluetooth and MP3 connectivity which I believe came in 2009.

It wasn't "preferred" or anything - it was the right car for the right price (we bought it used). Neither my wife or I were ever a MB person but the B200 was the right car for us when we bought it - a bit roomier than a Golf but not a minivan clone like a Mazda5. To be honest I prefer VW/Audi and my wife prefers BMW for a Euro brand so we aren't likely to buy another MB in the future unless it is another B series - I would go with an A4, or even a BMW 3 series, over the C class, etc. Just preference in styling and driving feel, not knocking the MB range.

But... It is my wife's car and it will likely be traded once the Fiat 500 Abarth comes to Canada, but we shall see. She has a problem with attracting the police so maybe the Abarth is a bad idea.

#3 ·
If you have the budget I would recomend a 2009+ car. My reasons:

- Early cars had door rust issues
- Early cars had the side bolsters on the seats that would crack
- Newer radio with full Bluetooth is nice and makes the dash look better
- Seats uses a slightly different fabric and Leatherette that feels more resistant to wear
- A little more warranty in the newer cars helps

As for your choices the killer comes in the beige interior. In a B200T grey is already rare and beige is almost non-existant. They are out there but very very hard to come by. Almost all the cars had black inside so likely you will have to bend on interior or exterior colour.

Now for the good news. Call Ravi at Mercedes Benz Midtown (on Eglington). They JUST got in on trade a 2009 with beige interior and all the options you want including power seats, digital climate controal and they will want around $29K for it. Sorry I don't know the exterior colour. Good luck with the search.

#4 ·
Only about 5% of them are manual. I would go for that unless you are in a commuter crawl. Also, cloth seats are excellent and don't crack/tear.

#5 ·
Beige and grey are nice light interior colours, but if you have kids or pets, then they are a bit*h to keep clean. They like to attract all sorts of dirty colours and scuff easily. I have a grey interior full leather interior. Fabric is better and doesn't show dirty as easily as full leather.

Regardless of model year, If you want nice toasty buns in the winter and lots of light in the summer, then get the premium package. depending on where you live, BT may be your best friend, in which case, you should get a 2009 and later model. Horizon blue 200T with light interior was what I wanted at first, but hard to come by. Good chance that if you do find one, it will be well loaded, as the least common colours usually need to be stocked well with goodies in order to re-sell better.

I've got the HK sound package, and in my opinion, can't go back to one without. It will unfortunately, take up some space above the spare tire. But you can still lower the boot tray to the lowest postion.

Options that you should stay away from (in my opinion) are: electronic seats (limits the ability to add a storage box under the seats), 6 disc changer (takes up half the glove box storage space), sports suspension, as the ride is really too rough for a mb.

#7 · (Edited)
update : prefered B200 model/year

Thanks so much, this is awesome... and helping to distinguish options and preferences out there.
From my end I have learned that
- Premium AND Sport packages are not available together, for any model year;
- the 2009 B200T at Mercedes Benz Midtown (on Eglington) with beige interior, brown steppe' ext colour refered to above SOLD last week;
- Beige interiors are RARE!... mostly furnished with 'brown steppe' ext colour;
- if you plan on keeping your MB past factory warranty, Extended warranty is a huge plus and adds peace of mind (i am rationalizing it to a simple dinner for 2 per month in a basic restaurant) lol.
- when i asked a sales rep to not be one and tell me if he was going to lay down $25-30k on a used B200, what model/year would he choose? answer provided: 2009, turbo, with premium provides most options, best value for price so far.... interesting!
Once again, thanks for all your comments :bowdown:, keep them coming in as you see fit...
cheers!

#8 ·
I stay away from cheap leathers that come on 99% of cars. They're all painted as opposed to dyed through, so they wear badly and don't breathe (unless perforated). My smart BRABUS has proper Nappa leather/Alcantara and it's so beautiful to sit on and look at. Designo M-B interiors have proper Nappa leather too.

In the B, go for cloth for sure. Heated seats, sunroof is nice and I got the alarm as well.

#9 ·
I stay away from cheap leathers that come on 99% of cars. They're all painted as opposed to dyed through, so they wear badly and don't breathe (unless perforated).
I actually disagree. The fake bake leather in newer cars - a plastic coated leather in my Escape, for example, wears really well. Even my tan leather resists marking and a friend has a 2002 escape and the leather looks brand new. Contrast that to another friend with a 2008 Jag where the leather looks worn and cracked already....and I guarantee by the feel of it it is real.

If you have kids, like me, the fake leather rules. The cloth interior in our 2007 B200 is wearing very poorly and is discoloured. I read on this forum MB will warranty it at least.

#10 ·
Most new Jags have the cheap leather.... so are you sure?

Anyway, the beauty of dyed through leather is you can treat it with hide food and it develops a wonderful patina over the decades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.