Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Service Codes

183K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  pfsantos 
#1 ·
Hey all,

My wife has a B200 turbo and loves the car. However, she's about to hit 70K kms and she noticed that she's getting a Service E indicator on the display. when she called the dealer and they said it would cost $750!

Can you guys help me out and let me know what this and actually all the Service codes mean? I just find it frustrating that they can't spell it out for you what exactly is entailed with these service codes. For all I know, it could just be them swapping the air filter out! I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out and maybe point me in the right direction.

#2 ·
To read the service code you can use this document:

To read the service scope, you can ask the dealer to do that for free or you can use this guide:

To reset the service indicator, you can check the manual at pages 288 and 289:

To understand the service scopes you can use the service booklet:

Or you can use these tables:

#4 ·
Some pictures detailing the WIS guide above...

The kilometer reading...

Service data menu

Items menu for Service A

Additional work menu

Confirmation menu

Miscellaneous info available from the service menu...

#5 · (Edited)
How to reset a service here.

...and some pictures taken on my B200...

From the kilometer reading with ignition on, press reset three times shortly.

The voltage is displayed.

Press arrow down to get the service menu.

After the oil change, I went with arrow down until I reached Confirmation menu

Confirmed full service

or...

Press menu up to get to main service menu again...

Press minus until you get to Additional work menu

Select Service 3 for oil change

We have to select the grade...

For standard oil we get different outcomes than for grade 229.5 (the 0W40 from Mobil)...

For standard oil...

For 229.5 grade oil...

I have confirmed the 229.5 grade oil...

...afterwards the Service menu is calculating and will show the next service items...

...just to clarify, this is from the Items tab in the main service menu...

...then press menu up three times and take the key off ignition. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
I tried entering the service menu last night. Had a bit of trouble initially...

Note that at the top of the thread, it says to put ignition key in "1" - this is similar to an "ACC" position in some other cars. Later in the thread, some instructions call out to turn the ignition on (where all the idiot lights light up) - in this position, you won't be able to get into the service menu. I was stuck here for a while, wondering why it didn't work.

Couple of other things:

- instead of "positions" in the service menu, you may have "items" as shown in the later pics.
- don't change oil grade until after an oil change, since changing the oil grade will reset the oil change info (km's/time to service). I did this by mistake, but then went to "confirmation" and "cancelled" individual service, then "service 3" and got back my correct time to service (in my case 27 days). So it remembers the previous time to service if you screw up and correct your mistake before turning ignition off.
- in my case, in "additional work -- service 3 -- oil grade" it didnt' say standard oil...it said 229.3 or 229.5 (the 229.5 being the 20,000km interval oil).
- think of the left top button on the steering wheel as being a "return to previous menu" and the bottom button being enter menu highlighted. I think it says this somewhere but I had forgotten.

#15 · (Edited)
1. Insert key and turn 1 time (1: SRS light ; 2: All lights ; 3: Turn on motor)
2. Press left top (or bottom) till kilometrage shows up
3. Press 3 times the reset clip (next to the engine temp).

"Nothing happen"

Functions locked because Service C past 7 days?

Finally it works. Have to PRESS 3 times PROMPTLY. Press very fast...

#18 ·
No, it's not sequential like that. As long as it says 15,000 km (or 25,000 km in my case!?!) it's all good.

#19 · (Edited)
Maybe too late to help poster above but if u confirm a service by accident u can scroll to "cancel service" and undo the confirmation.

Edit: Mike...mine says either 15,000 or 20,000km (the latter if u set the oil to 229.5 spec)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#23 ·
Weird that some would now have a 25,000km interval. Any chance an update was made to the ECU firmware/software last time at the dealer that changed the good oil (229.5) service interval? Can't think of any other reason.

#24 ·
OK then....Only I was showing an ~25,000 oil change way back when. At that time the car was evaluating the oil for oil changes and when nearly 2 years was up the timer clicked in and the 30 day "Service" countdown started and asked me now go to the dealer for my first oil change called "Service B" in my case. Some others here had it called "Service A".

I had already changed it at 10,000 km and was approaching 25,000 km. By that time the dealer was resetting all B's to a year or 15,000 km settings between oil changes. For a long time now I've changed the oil at 10.

#26 ·
^ But you're referring to your own oil change frequency, correct? What's the service interval showing on yours? 15, 20 or 25k?

Also, I wonder if dealers are just setting the interval to 15k, whether or not they use the 229.5 oil, to see people a little sooner. :)

#27 ·
I told my dealer to reset it to 20K as per the service booklet way back in 2008 and they did (well, 19550 km to be exact). It seems that DEVOURS car was set to 25K at some point. Maybe because his dealer knew he'd never be seen again? ;)

#28 ·
It seems that DEVOURS car was set to 25K at some point. Maybe because his dealer knew that he'd never be seen again? ;)
My B was originally set to read the oil for it's change and then all B's were reset at the dealer to 15,000 km to avoid different cars coming in at different times depending on drivers habits and driving styles,..at least that's what the dealer told me way back when they changed the "formula". ..of time and clicks....

BTW...I've been back for all of the "recalls" and my sales rep and service supervisor are great guys and very helpful too, .....it's the actual tech 'one time' who was a crook and dipshit and wasted a lot of chargable time and my money. ...but he only got to do it once...:D

#30 ·
I think the 15,000km or 20,000km is just a basepoint for the service interval computer. Depending on the oil specified (229.3 - 15,000km, 229.5 - 20,000km) it'll use that service interval as a guide. Then, based on driving, it'll adjust the actual time/distance based on the basepoint.

At least that's how I understand it based on the o/m description and the service settings shown.

Reactions: Bangers;B200