Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Service Codes

183K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  pfsantos 
#1 ·
Hey all,

My wife has a B200 turbo and loves the car. However, she's about to hit 70K kms and she noticed that she's getting a Service E indicator on the display. when she called the dealer and they said it would cost $750!

Can you guys help me out and let me know what this and actually all the Service codes mean? I just find it frustrating that they can't spell it out for you what exactly is entailed with these service codes. For all I know, it could just be them swapping the air filter out! I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out and maybe point me in the right direction.

#31 ·
2011 Mercedes Benz B250 Turbo

Hi everyone. I just purchase the vehicle above and am having some problems with the vehicle. It has 60,000 Kil on it. I'm having some concerns with the transmission so I took it to my trustworthy mechanic. I of course not have a manual to reference. He reported the following vehicle codes:

Engine Codes 0055, 0056, 0057, 0058, 0059, 00E6, 0050, 00FB

Transmission Codes D409, D40A, D40B, D40C

Antilock Brake Codes 5C2E, 4A46

Gear Selection Module Codes P1861, P1860, P2000

Any ideas - your time is much appreciated. It is currently under warranty but of course that ends this week.
Diane.

#37 ·
Different locations will do specific servicings as to the distance showing on your B. The letters are not necessarily followed too closely..

How much mileage do you have showing ?..and check with the appropriate dealership as to what servicing has already been done..

What records do you have on this B ? ie: Are there any servicing stamps showing service in your maintenance booklet ? Check both sides..

#38 ·
A letter, different from "A" or "B" simply means there are additional items on the list, besides the standard service, for example on my car it shows next service as "C" - in this case it means service "A", plus engine air filter (service 8) and a brake fluid (service 4).

To determine what type of main service is due, see if the display shows one or two spanners (wrenches :wink) - one spanner is "A" service, two spanners is "B".

To get the exact list of additional items, you need to run your car details via ESS (Electronic Service Schedule) - here's the UK version:

Mercedes-Benz UK | Electronic Service Sheet

I don't see any major reason, why it shouldn't work for a Canadian car, at least this will give you an idea, of what is required.
Remember to convert km to miles :grin

Please note, the system obviously doesn't know, if certain services were performed already / recently, that's why, as DEVOURS said above, it is important to know previous service history. For example: I pulled my ESS just now, and it shows spark plugs (service 12) and transmission oil (service 20), but these were both done two years ago, so not due for another 2 and 3 years respectively.

#39 ·
MB•David;17586795 said:
I don't see any major reason, why it shouldn't work for a Canadian car, at least this will give you an idea, of what is required.

Please note, the system obviously doesn't know, if certain services were performed already / recently, that's why, as DEVOURS said above, it is important to know previous service history. For example: I pulled my ESS just now, and it shows spark plugs (service 12) and transmission oil (service 20), but these were both done two years ago, so not due for another 2 and 3 years respectively.
My B back in 2008 "never ever" showed a service "A" in the dash. It went directly to service "B" as my first requested dealer visit....whereas other Canadian B's (here on this forum..) did indeed show service "A" in their dash..

It all depends on how your dealer resets your car..(in my experience..),.. so go by the distance traveled and the previous work done by the dealer...

You can't rely on the letters in the dash...There are different dealer settings in different locations in the different locals and countries....no matter what the "book" shows to be done..

#41 ·
Absolutely agree - the only thing relevant in the above pictured display is mileage remaining and the single spanner - the rest will come from ESS.[/QUOTE
hello MB David and DEVOURS. Thank you for the reply. I bought the car at an auction and it did not come with any manuals or records unfortunately. Currently, the mileage shows 144K . The dash shows one spanner(wrench)

#42 · (Edited)
So it's an A service with some additional items.

Ideally you'd want to get a country-specific service schedule (from Mercedes), and then just assume that, whatever is due, must be done.

Again, just to get a general idea - here's what would be due, if it was a UK vehicle.
The result are not accurate (as it's UK spec), but at least you know what roughly to expect:

Brake fluid and sparks are (to me) a strictly professional service territory, but engine oil and certainly dust and air filters, can be changed DIY without much effort.

Also since you mentioned that, you don't have a manual, here's a pdf version of the Owner's Manual for you :grin

It's for the facelift (so don't expect your car to park itself), but mostly relevant.

The head unit will be different too.

(the file is too large to attach here, so it's a link to WeTransfer service - they keep it online for a week)

https://we.tl/t-eQemuGvtLQ

#46 ·
Keeping this here as a reminder to all....and Bert Rowe link..

Welcome to the forum !
The forum index is organized / grouped according to Mercedes chassis designation, usually one letter followed by 3 digits / numbers, and the section covers all engine / versions the chassis came with.

To find the forum section = chassis for your car, please click FIND YOUR FORUM SECTION

And Complete your Profile by adding the year???? and model????? of your car, so it will show next to every future post under your avatar.
Members are not likely to search for the one post the model of the car is mentioned.

The forum section archives have a wealth of DIY / technical information.
When researching an issue / posting, you can also Search the forum archives of your chassis section via the 'Search Community' box on top..

The stickies on top of the 'Welcome' section will help to navigate the site.

#48 ·
The maintenance "service due" should pop up at the recommended interval, but if you're not sure it's been done, then get it done. Needs to absolutely use the correct fluid and filled as per WIS.

Reactions: DEVOURS