Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ESP Fault/ Cornering lights unavialable message

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Samoila Stefan 
#1 ·
Hey All,

My B200 hit a small bump at a very slow speed while getting into a slope to reach the basement parking. Since then I keep getting the message ESP Fault visit workshop. A second message reads cornering lights unavailable at this time. (I guess the cornering lamp function is linked to the ESP system). The message is not constant keeps coming on and going off. Any more insights into this problem welcome. Is it a minor software reset or alignment issue?

I just wanted to be sure about the issue before visiting the workshop. Looking forward to your views on this matter. Thanx.

#2 ·
Can you try this? (I'm curious if it works on our B class too):
- turn on engine
- turn the wheel from lock to lock to left and right several times
- center steering wheel
- turn engine off
- wait a couple of minutes
- start the car and check if the ESP message is still on.

#3 ·
I had also read about the same on another thread. But I didin't do the way you have mentioned (several times + engine off etc.) I just did it once and the message would go off for some time and then reappear. I will now do it as per your suggestion. Hopefully it will work on our B Klass too. Thank you.

#5 ·
Hey,

Unfortunately it did not work. Went to the dealer workshop (my car is still under warranty). They diagnosed an ESP switch failure and are replacing the part.

One thing I must warn everybody, the car is so rough to drive with this fault. The cabin gets noisier, the ride becomes a drag. Overall you just want to stop driving. I hope none of you guys ever face this problem.

#8 ·
I was told the ESP switch is directly associated with the steering column, some motor there gets overloaded or something when this switch fails and hence the increased cabin noise. Not sure just a guess.

Anyway the ESP switch has been replaced and my B's back in shape. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.