Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Steel wheels and TPM?

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  oris642 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of using aftermarket steel wheels for my winter tires for my B200 this year. Are generic aftermarket steel wheels compatible with the onboard Tire Pressure Montoring (TPM) system? Do I need to purchase Mercedes specific steel wheels for the TPM to work?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
The TPM on the B Class is not an active system where sensors in the tire stems send info to the computer informing them of pressure changes. Rather it is a passive system that uses the wheel speed sensors at each wheel and monitor a difference of speed in one of the wheels to determine if it is low on air. A wheel low on air relative to the others will change in diameter therefore will turn at a different speed and the computer picks this up. To answer your original question any steel wheel with the correct bolt pattern an offset is perfectly ok. There is no need to pay the insane dealer prices for their wheels and or tire combos.

#5 · (Edited)
5x112

Make sure it is a fwd offset - 42 to 45 is good if the rim is 16x7

Unless you are ordering from Flying Tiger in BC or the dealer, finding steelies that are the right hub (66.6mm) and offset are almost impossible in North America. Most places will try and sell you a steelie with a 35mm offset from a C class. Not a good idea.

Try Replika rims for winter - the boys at Tires23 in Mississauga set me up well, and I think I paid something like $105 each for them (and they look like AMG!!)

#8 ·
Rims in Canada

I ended up ordering my winter tire setup from Tires 23 today based on the many reviews I've seen here. They definitely knew the right setup for the B200T.

I got the Replika F117 rims and Hankook 409's for an all in cost of $1120 CDN (mounting/balancing/HST) with $110 shipping to Calgary. I decided to go this route as there was no savings from ordering from TireRack.com. Tires 23 said no spacers are needed and are direct replacement for the MB's. Will get them next week.

I got a quote for steelies in Calgary and they were wanting $90 each and they offset was wrong. I'd just spend a few more bucks to get the AMG look and the comfort of knowing these 117's work.

#9 ·
Good on ya Hank0. Now your winter wheels look like mine and some others on this site. These wheels fit great, just pop out your current MB centre caps and pop them onto your new set of wheels when you swap them out. Otherwise, you can use the blank ones that they come with, but won't look authentic.

Also, these are smooth, quiet riding tires, compared to my Conti's.

Don't forget to reset the TPM after installing your new wheels. Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.