Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What did you do to your Benz today?

445K views 2K replies 101 participants last post by  Bangers;B200 
#1 ·
As posted in my friend's topic on the W201 section, I think it will be cool to have our own here... :p

I'll start then:

OEM trunk mat

Replaced the cupholder (comes with the whole bracket), the edge was peeled...

See less See more
#4 ·
Osram (Sylvania) Hyper H7 (65W), super bright headlamp bulbs

The clamp inside the housing...

...comparison...

...first try, wrong pattern...

...second adjustment...just perfect...

...first comparison: hyper on the passenger side, regular on the drivers' side

...both in...

#7 ·
Good photos of your mods but why fit the chromed indicator bulbs in the rear they are meant for the front. Trust me, pull one out and put it in the front and compare it with the unchanged side, much better. Or if you don't want to go to that bother check my avitar or my other front of car pictures.

It will flash orange so should still be legal (certainly is in UK)

#8 ·
I will put chromed ones in the front too (they will arrive soon). They have different pins than the rear. IMHO the rear looks nice with chromes too, no yellowish reflection.

#10 ·
One pic shows a bright light on the right wall with almost no light on the left. The caption under it says "second adjustment ...just perfect".

What were you actually adjusting?
Were you playing with,.... the adjustment screws on the lens housing?

...and... now you're running 65 watt off-road bulbs in the 55 watt OE housing!!...a little more draw than recommended...

DEVOURS

#11 ·
Samoila Stefan

You may find that the higher wattage lamps will not last nearly as long as others and the extra heat generated over time might affect the reflective materials in the headlamp.

Good old Canadian Tire is advertising lamps that give up to 90% more light on the road for $79 a pair installed with a 1 year guarantee.

Great photos that show in detail the differences.

Bill

#13 ·
One pic shows a bright light on the right wall with almost no light on the left. The caption under it says "second adjustment ...just perfect".

What were you actually adjusting?
Were you playing with,.... the adjustment screws on the lens housing?

...and... now you're running 65 watt off-road bulbs in the 55 watt OE housing!!...a little more draw than recommended...

DEVOURS
My bad was that first, because of my hands getting into that hole could not fit the tiny H7 bulbs correctly seated... the "adjustment" in fact was just seating them right in the tiny slot there. :)

Off-road... yeah, technically, actually due to the nice german engineering would not bother anybody.

I got them from CANDLEPOWER.COM U$ 19.95 each - At this price, I got two sets... :) Who uses the long beam in the city anyway? :p

This bulb, for racing and special-service usage, is the highest-output, most efficient H7 available from anyone!. This is a 65-watt bulb (10 more than an ordinary H7) that produces 2100 lumens (700 more than an ordinary H7). Same 500-hour rated lifespan as a good quality standard H7 bulb. Perfect upgrade for motorcycles, racing headlamps, diving lights, agricultural and industrial work lamps.

#15 ·
I got them from CANDLEPOWER.COM U$ 19.95 each - At this price, I got two sets... :) Who uses the long beam in the city anyway? :p

These would probably be great as a high beam. (not on for long periods, brighter "flash" for the flash to pass)

Are those LED lights as the city lights?

Anthony

#16 ·
We know that by installing the HID's at 35 watts throws a low wattage code in the B.

The standard bulb should be 55 watts. To correct that, some HID conversion kits come with a resister to fool the computer and thus no warning on the dash.

It's nice to know that the 65 watt bulb does not through a code in the B.

DEVOURS

#17 ·
A.N., I used the 65W Hypers for the low beam only, I don't use the high one and flashing is useless in T. :) DEVOURS is right a minute 10 watts overload per bulb doesn't throw any code and shouldn't harm the harness... :p
Now I would go for some HIDs to match the SMDs that have for standing lights... :rolleyes: ...money, money, money... :surrender:

Here are some pictures of the standing lights bulbs in comparison with the OEM bulbs:

They need several HID kits to match (high, low and fogs)...arrrgh....

#20 ·
Here are some pictures of the standing lights bulbs in comparison with the OEM bulbs:

So are those LEDs? Or are they called a "standing light bulb"? or by "standing bulb" you mean the city lights (parking lights)?:confused: Did you get those from candle power too? They didn't flash when you installed them? or do they have build in resistors? (it kinda looks like they do)

Anthony

#18 ·
My lucky hat...

Crappy Tire ashtray...

Nokia GPS receiver for the phone and holder...

Sunvisor holder (with an MB iron patch to match)...

#19 ·
Luckily if your car doesn't have the "sight and light" package, there is no issue with variable wattages.

#21 ·
Parking lights, standing or position lights, they are called in different ways... those are SMD (surface mounted diode) bulbs with four diodes, two on each side of the blade. I found them on E-bay, they do not trip the code in the computer, guaranteed! Straights replacement with the original one, no check bulb code, no flashing, they work just the other ones, only nicer, whiter and brighter. I have tried different orientations of the blade in the socket, the best reflection is by putting them in the vertical plan. :p

#22 ·
Thanks Samoila Stefan,

I've never heard of surface mount diodes (SMD) but the look they give is nice.

Anthony

#24 ·
You can call me Stefan... :)

When I bought mine I just wanted to be sure they don't trip the code (and the ad stated that) and also due to the headlamp architecture I think that having the SMDs on both sides of the blade is better rather than pointing forward. Just my opinion, anyway.

Now, just some pics with my new Primacys...

...and some valve caps from E-bay too...

...and the stainless steel Mercedes-Benz engraved licence plate holders...

...too bad that today I have discovered that someone keyed the driver's side doors, not that deep but visible in the sun... bastards! :mad:

#25 ·
I've mentioned before the chromed bulbs for the rear signal lights... another E-Bay buy...

Frankly, they give a clean look but not european, they blink kinda amber, maybe it's just me... Made in E.U. :)

#27 ·
Imho :bowdown: the best silvered bulbs are the M/B silvered ones they look more of a light silver and do blink very orange they cost about £11 a pair (approx 19$cdn) but as far as I know they only supply them for the front indicators part number is B 680 0040

Sorry to hear that someone scratched your B :eek: ( Stefan obviously jealous of your ride. ;)

Yes ebay is a good source of 3 pointed star extras :thumbsup:

#29 ·
Imho :bowdown: the best silvered bulbs are the M/B silvered ones they look more of a light silver and do blink very orange they cost about £11 a pair (approx 19) but as far as I know they only supply them for the front indicators part number is B 680 0040

Sorry to hear that someone scratched your B :eek: ( Stefan obviously jealous of your ride. ;)

Yes ebay is a good source of 3 pointed star extras :thumbsup:
I got the MB chrome light (love them), they only work in the rear signals in Canada though.

Stephan, after looking up the lights, I decided to buy a pair for my high beams, 2100 lumens is better than the around 1500 from the Sliverstars I have in there right now. Are you planning on doing the H9 swap in the fog lights? On Daniel Stern they mention that the H9 base is similar to the H11 and can be modded to fit. They also say it may work to produce more light without glare or it may not. (the 65W H7 is a rebased H9) I'm gonna try it out , and post pics if it works.

Taken from Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

H11 bulbs
These new single-filament 55w bulbs are quickly supplanting HB4/9006 in new low-beam headlamp and fog lamp designs. (They are not physically interchangeable with any 9000-series bulb!) As is the case with other bulb families—such as 9004/9007, 9005/9006, etc.—the H11 has different base keys than its H9 high-beam and H8 fog lamp counterparts. Somebody goofed on the spec, though, for the difference between H11 and H9 base keys is insufficient; it's too easy to install an H9 bulb where an H11 belongs. The difference in light output between these two designs is enormous (1350 lumens from the H11, 2100 from the H9), so putting an H9 in place of an H11 will obviously cause the lamp to produce a lot more light. Some lamps are designed such that the optics would handle the extra light well, without creating excessive glare for other road users. Many, however, are not.

#28 · (Edited)
Actually those I got are silver, maybe it's the flash. Orange and amber it's like Europe and N/A, different :)
About the scratch, everywhere in the world are jealous and uneducated people like that, no matter the color, sex or convictions and other politically correct considerations. They're a'holes for what I care!
I'm jealous too of how many Benz goodies I used to be able to get back there (next day shipping for every part number I wanted, etc.) There are so many UK sellers out there with nice stuff for our Bs' :)