#1 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 02:59 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RHD-LHD headlight switch confirmation

I am looking for a crystal clear confirmation that the standard headlight of the B class (not bi-xenon option, but the standard projector headlight) has a switch to change the beam form from RHD to LHD to RHD. I have read some topics here and there, but couldn't convince myself since I couldn't exactly understand if the switch (if any) is "mirroring" the beam profile or is just "flattening" it (so that the other drivers don't get blinded, but you will not have good illumination over the passenger's side of the road either).
I will be frequently driving in both systems for long periods of time and don't want to get to change different headlights assemblies or to apply stickers on the headlight's glass.
I really appreciate any rock solid confirmation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 03:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: B200 CDI SE
Hi Krrokkx & welcome to the forum.

Have just tried that switch ready for my trip abroad conclusions are :-

1) beam pattern, you don't get a cut off as sharply as you do with the switch in the normal position ie they don't mirror the pattern exactly. However I am not sure that dipped pattern in Europe is exactly the same as ours in the UK.

2) beam seems slightly flatter also not quite as bright

3) I would say the switch method is definitely better than using stickers and much better than taping over parts of the light.

4) it does not take long to do and once you locate the switch you can do it by feel just follow the yellow & brown cable to the back of the light and you can feel the 'handle' of the switch (it is actually a lever) push to one side & job done.

Will be able to give more info when I get back from Europe (in a couple of weeks) as I just tried it round the roads just as it was getting dark. Also will be able to tell you if I get "flashed" by oncoming drivers

Full info repeated below

For anyone interested here is a photo of the inside of the light unit which is normally quite difficult to see. Which should clarify guenter's post.

Some information for UK & European members the silver lever just above the bulb at the top of the picture is for changing the beam dipping for driving on the left or right hand side of the road. It is shown switched for driving in the UK slide to the other side for Europe (& vis versa) It is a bit fiddly to get your hands in but once you've found where the switch is it can all be done by feel.This information is hard to get from M/B. No need for tape or lens convertors. It only takes a few minutes to do.

Unfortunately camera flash has bleached some parts of the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beam direction switch.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	193795  
#3 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 03:46 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you, kdbcom! I am only wondering now if a LHD B class would pass the MOT (with that switch in the correct position) in a RHD system..
Waiting for your impressions after your trip!
#4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: B 200 Turbo 2007
" Will be able to give more info when I get back from Europe (in a couple of weeks) as I just tried it round the roads just as it was getting dark. Also will be able to tell you if I get "flashed" by oncoming drivers "

Have a good trip and hope any flashing is done by members of the opposite sex

Bill
#5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 01:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Krrokkx

Couple of points re lights. I found the standard dipped lights on the B quite poor so I replaced the bulbs with the Philips X-treme power bulbs they claim to give 80% greater light output. they certainly are an improvement.

I have notced that the B has the sharpest defined dipped beam pattern I have noticed on any car I have owned (and that's a lot 30+) and on first impressions this sharp cut off does not appear the same with the switch/ lever thrown.

As to an MOT pass the only way would be to pop into a local garage in UK and get him to check it on his beam alignment tester.

I wonder if this switch arrangement is the same as in the article below. Ok it's not Mercedes but the lamps / lamp manufacturer or method of operation may be the same.

TF headlamp converter: it's built in!
#6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 01:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Bill, thanks, but with the wife sitting next to me I shall have to be very careful about watching any form of flashing from the opposite sex.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 03:41 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I will definitely visit an MOT garage after I will have ordered my B
Concerning the flashes and your wife, you should know that according to popular wisdom the chances to meet a beautiful woman raise exponentially when

1. you're alone
2. you're with your girlfriend
3. you're with your wife

#8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

krrokkx
For the further info as promised see my thread entitled "Long distance report" which gives a bit more info on 'switched' lights

Briefly I would not like them for high speed driving also change the bulbs to higher light output ones as well.

Last edited by kdbcom; 09-18-2008 at 08:14 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 04:53 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2010
LHD-RHD headlamp conversion C-class

I have located the headlamp changeover levers on my 2010 C-class (standard halogen bulbs, not bi-xenon).

Twist off (anti-clockwise) the black plastic covers from the dipped beam headlamps (the outer two) and pull off the black connector from each bulb.

Viewed with a small mirror, the arrangement is quite similar to that for the B-class headlamp pictured by kdbcom. However, the C-class levers are BELOW the bulbs, and some way inside the housing. I can reach them with my middle finger with the bulbs still in place after the connectors are removed. Slight downward pressure on the slightly sharp-edged levers reduces the friction and allows them to be slid sideways.

Correct positions for the levers are to the right of the car for driving on the right, and to the left of the car for driving on the left.

The effect of the continental setting (as suggested in the owner's handbook) is to produce a symmetrical pattern, eliminating the left-hand-side flick-up which is part of the normal UK beam pattern.

My reading elsewhere suggests that this would not prejudice a UK MOT test, and for this reason, as a regular visitor to Europe, I keep my bi-xenon VW set to the symmetrical pattern. In any case, for the C-class Mercedes, resetting is straightforward as discussed above.
#10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 10:56 AM
SD1
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
A Class Adjustment for continental/uk is on Passanger Side ONLY.
With Lights OFF. Unclip Light rear cover, do not remove, there is enough access. Rotate rear of Lamp Holder through approx 45deg, that is its limit. Will be vertical when set for uk. This will cut off the dip to left. e & oe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W245 B-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.