Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Spark Plugs

214K views 305 replies 43 participants last post by  DEVOURS 
#1 ·
DEVOURS is back from his holiday and is keen to replace his spark plugs. The job seems overly complicated but I am sure he will find an easy way to do it, and pass the info back to us.👍 I am sure it is not a job we wish to perform to often nor pay the dealership to do, so lets find a way to lessen the pain.

Questions for all in the forum

1) Has any one had any long life spark plugs installed in any car they have owned?

2) What brands seem to work the best?

3) What is factory plug and gap?

I owned a Toyota Van that had long life plugs from the factory, but can't remember what brand. Pricey but lasted the life of the Van.

Bill

#2 ·
Yes Bill, I'm back from Virginia and will dutifully post the necessary pics in the future.

I still have to fabricate the extraction tool for the spark plug wiring. :confused:
Our spark plugs should be changed at 48,000 km and I'm only at 30,000 km.(so I have a bit of time) :)
It would be nice to know the answers to your questions though. Anyone??

Cheers :eclipsee_steering:

#304 ·
Hi Devours, I am looking for the photos/video and plug removal tool pictures please and any info on process..or service sheets to assist with this.
Can't find them on this thread!!
I've had a fault code suggesting plugs and or coils... funny one parts supplier says I need only one ignition coil..others say 2!?

Thanks KiwiTrev

#4 ·
I also tried the Bosch site but they don't appear to give make /model charts.

I also tried NGK which used to be recommended over here but although the B was listed the site did not come back with a recommendation for plug type.

Would not use Champions again I had a lot of trouble with them breaking down.

#5 ·
I went to the UK sites and downloaded huge files with every car in the world just to get our plug. (not at all user friendly)
MB starts with the A class and then jumps to the C class. WTF???
On dial-up everything takes forever and all for not!!!

Cheers, :beerchugr:

#7 ·
The latest info I could dig up for the B200 is #FQR8DE...or # 0242229724 or #0041593003. I'll probably go to the dealer and buy a plug to make sure because even with those #'s, they're still not available elsewhere in Montreal. I'll also pull one plug to get the #.

Any other "world" info would be greatly appreciated.

#8 ·
Searched from this side of the pond & had very poor results. The car has been available over here for nearly 3 years now & still it does not show on the majority of websites not even Bosch's whom I would assume would supply them.

Using Mike's assumption of the A200 using the same plug I was able to get a Denso (never heard of them myself only denso tape) they gave 2 types a VK20 & an IK20 the VK seemed to be the better quality plug. Sorry I could get no further info, it would probably need an email to the Technical Dept of the Makers e.g Bosh, NGK, Champion

#9 ·
Using Mike's assumption of the A200 using the same plug I was able to get a Denso (never heard of them myself only denso tape) they gave 2 types a VK20 & an IK20 the VK seemed to be the better quality plug. Sorry I could get no further info, it would probably need an email to the Technical Dept of the Makers e.g Bosh, NGK, Champion
Other than NGK, the other big name Japanese spark plug manufacturer is Denso. Both NGK and Denso spark plugs are among the highest quality available, especially their Iridium lines, in construction, material, and quality control.

The Denso VK20 has 0.4mm iridium tipped center electrode and a platinum smear/pad on the ground electrode. Denso has made double sided iridium plugs before, but their earlier line had a larger center electrode. The Denso VK20 spark plugs will certainly give longer life than the IK20 spark plugs, but depending on tuning and engine, it is possible for the IK20 to give better performance and fuel economy.

Based on my experience with the IK20, the ground electrode is prone to wearing, as compared to its competitor such as the NGK Iridium IX, which is also a single sided iridium plug.

The NGK equivalent plug to the Denso Iridium Tough (VK20) is the NGK Laser Iridium line (IFR...). The NGK equivalent plug to the Iridium Power (IK20) is the Iridium IX.

Usually, without experimentation with a specific vehicle, it is difficult to know which spark plug will give better engine performance and fuel economy. However, double sided iridium plugs will undoubtedly give much longer life. And I don't mean end-of-life to mean when the engine start to give symptoms. The almost-new-plug engine performance level can be maintained for much, much longer time period than lesser plugs.

#10 ·
Thanks for that in depth info on those plugs, techyiam, presumably they will be available for the Canadian members to purchase. I have used NGKs in the past and have been well satisfied with them but not with a M/B. Sounds from your write up that iridium is certainly the way to go.

#12 ·
b200 spark plugs

I called my MB dealer and the parts guy gave me a price for the plugs also a part number for the plugs

2006 b200 turbo
MB part # spark plug: 004 159 4303 $15.34 cnd retail price

I did find an equivalent Denso plug on the Denso Japan website.
VK20 for the turbo 2.0
K20PR-u for 2.0

they also have the same reference for the a-class
there is an odd one : m200 which has the same chassis as the b-class.

#14 ·
I was wondering where all that oil was going.:eek::eek:

Approximately 0.4 liters per 5000 km on the last oil change.
The pic is deceiving.
I'll have to get it out for a high speed spin....:eclipsee_steering:
A little rub with a wire brush and it cleaned up nicely but I was hoping for a nice warm brown when I pulled it.:beerchugr:

#15 ·
Did you pull the others too? Were they all the same?

.1 L per 1000 km is not too much - my 405 drinks five times that (at nearly 400,000 km) and its plugs are nice light grey/brown.

#16 ·
Looks like lots of carbon build up especially on the ceramic, could cause missfire if it gets worse. Oil looks a lot different so I would not worry. Time to put the pedal to the metal and burn it off ( long hard run ) and then take the plugs out to recheck. If the plugs still have that appearance maybe a different brand or a higher heat range.

See Spark Plugs and Spark Plug Wires - Facts & Repair Advice for some god photos.

Bill

#17 ·
I checked my oil tonight at 10,000 km and it's down perhaps 0.4 L. Hard to tell, last time I checked it was in Utah after a high speed run, so the oil was a lot hotter. So maybe 0.04 L/1000 km, about half of DEVOURS car, still perfectly fine and no topping up needed between 15K changes. I'm stretching this one to 15 K because 6000+ was done in a week on a road trip, so the oil should be fine after 5000 more km.

About the plug, it looks a little shiny on some of the black area, hence my oil comment. But with only 0.4 L gone after 5 K km, that can't be oil, must be a photo reproduction issue.

#18 ·
Picked up 4 plugs from the stealer.
Outside of the box, you can't tell what it is. Inside it's a Bosch # F8DER and only available from Germany.
Auto Electra says it's also only available from Germany and is again replaced with Bosch #SQR8DE :bowdown:
I would have preferred to have purchased a better (long life) plug if I had had that option.

#19 ·
Very Well Done:goojob:

Looks like a tedious job, not sure if it can be any harder. I'm assuming the car started and ran even better than before,so it was worth it.

Did you ever get a price from the dealer to replace the plugs???? I always try to get a price, it always makes a job more satisfying to see the value of your labour.

In your list you show a Red Box that is available locally, but you fail to mention how many to order:)

Very very well done:notworthy: and very good photos.

Bill

#22 ·
I do try to use the thin rubber gloves and keep the hands clean but I end up taking them off and enjoying the added touch .....and later hating the brush scrubbing that the fingers need. As jobs go, this wasn't at all dirty.

The first pics of the caps look very dirty but I didn't clean any part, and those metal caps look very shiny and clean in the other pics.

The discoloring is body cavity wax that I applied years ago to slow the salt attack on the aluminum.
One photo that I forgot to take is removing the caps with the home made tool... Later!!!....For others, the vise-grips will work fine.(I hope)

I just kept the camera handy and tried not to bash it while moving around underneath.
Cheers

#25 ·
I have used it (made from beets I believe) but one of the more common hand cleaners is Fast Orange Hand Cleaner (Pumice Lotion). Great refreshing smell as well.

But looking at DEVOURS' pictures the engine looks clean enough to eat off of!! Can't see him getting to dirty:big laugh: Changing a Diesel injector however would require several jars of hand cleaner:)

I had thought the European Union had banned left handed spanners and replaced them with Belgium designed uni - hand spanners.

Bill

#24 ·
Hi DEVOURS good Suggestion about the video

I was given this link from Konstantinos so all credit should go to him.

Maybe you already have the following procedure on changing spark plugs. The video is is in German, but an English text file is also there.

Go to
Index of /murzik/A&B-class/Spark plug change

download the
zuendkwechselb_de.wmv file. (video) or zuendkwechselb_en.txt (English translation )

Direct links to each file
http://hamsk.ru/murzik/A&B-class/Spark plug change/zuendkwechselb_de.wmv
http://hamsk.ru/murzik/A&B-class/Spark plug change/zuendkwechselb_en.txt

Now if we could ask DEVOURS' wife to film him ( video)doing the job again we could have a comparisons of style and time.

Once again great work:thumbsup:

Bill

#81 ·
Hi DEVOURS good Suggestion about the video

I was given this link from Konstantinos so all credit should go to him.

Maybe you already have the following procedure on changing spark plugs. The video is is in German, but an English text file is also there.

Go to
Index of /murzik/A&B-class/Spark plug change

download the
zuendkwechselb_de.wmv file. (video) or zuendkwechselb_en.txt (English translation )

Direct links to each file
http://hamsk.ru/murzik/A&B-class/Spark plug change/zuendkwechselb_de.wmv
http://hamsk.ru/murzik/A&B-class/Spark plug change/zuendkwechselb_en.txt

Bill
Remember to use this video as the main source of information when changing the spark plugs from the bottom. :read:

#26 ·
There is a water-soluble product called PR88. You grab a dollop and rub it into your hands and under your nails and grease etc. (car gunk) washes off with soap and water. Its not greasy and when it dries you do not notice it on your hands. No good for chores that involve water! Comes in a yellow plastic tub and it a tremendous product for the mechanic but it costs about $25 for about a litre. I don't own the company but I use it myself.

#27 · (Edited)
Quote "Changing a Diesel injector however would require several jars of hand cleaner"

Dirty engine whatever next. :eek: I resent that implication, Bill, ;) (just joking :thumbsup:)
My engine's spotless, you could perform brain surgery in my engine bay :D

Sounds like your hand cleansers are similar then. Our one does tend to make the hands smell a bit unpleasantly) afterwards. :(

Quote "I had thought the European Union had banned left handed spanners and replaced them with Belgium designed uni - hand spanners."

Yes it's an all in one tool they call it a hammer now :)

#28 ·
Keith and Bill, Thanks for the on-going help and feedback. What a merry team!!:D
Thanks for the video link. I would have been very intimidated without seeing it first.
I made my extraction tool by watching that video over and over and approximating measurements to make mine.

Getting back to the Red Box, Keith had previously told us that he doesn't drink beer, so that's my joke on why Keith couldn't complete the task using all the tools provided in those 2 photos.;);)

Keith asked "Why did MB make such a regular task as changing the spark plugs so difficult?"
Every aspect of maintenance on the B seems like an after-thought:eek:by MB engineers.
Yes, the spark plugs are very tricky to do and I think the turbo is more difficult.
The poly "V" Belt is terrible to change from what I could see from underneath. There is absolutely no room to work with that belt.:crybaby2: and it's normal maintenance and will need to be changed on all of our B's. :mad:
Changing a headlight bulb is very tricky. Why??

Changing the rear license plate light bulb is a huge task. Why?? 2 screws and remove the clear lens is what ever other car in the world has.
Why make everything so difficult?

Changing the starter motor is sure to cost a fortune on our B. The fly-wheel goes all the way around, why put it on top where there is no access?

Why put an oil filter completely out of sight and stuff it down the back of the engine where it's so difficult to get at or see?(B200 from 06-07)

Why design a hood (bonnet) with no drainage and realize it only years later. Is this the first hood that they've ever put on a car?:eek::(:eek:

We've all heard of German engineering and know it's excellent quality, but someone was sleeping at the switch on these B class gaffs.

Was that a rant or what??
Have a great day everyone, I'm not mad at all...I'm just wondering out loud!!

Cheers :beerchugr:

#29 ·
You could take the positive approach, and expect that - like my Peugeot 405, the engine belts will last 350,000+ km, that the starter motor will not fail in that time, that the headlight bulbs will be long-lived,.....and so on. The sparkies is harder to explain, but the crash management system dictated their bizarre placement, so again, a negative could be seen as a positive.

Just saying!