Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Spark Plugs

214K views 305 replies 43 participants last post by  DEVOURS 
#1 ·
DEVOURS is back from his holiday and is keen to replace his spark plugs. The job seems overly complicated but I am sure he will find an easy way to do it, and pass the info back to us.👍 I am sure it is not a job we wish to perform to often nor pay the dealership to do, so lets find a way to lessen the pain.

Questions for all in the forum

1) Has any one had any long life spark plugs installed in any car they have owned?

2) What brands seem to work the best?

3) What is factory plug and gap?

I owned a Toyota Van that had long life plugs from the factory, but can't remember what brand. Pricey but lasted the life of the Van.

Bill

#69 · (Edited)
I just assume the previous owner changed them at 60k (update - I checked the service book, he did changed them at the dealer while on lease).
The fuel consumption is not bad, the engine runs good...

#74 ·
Just replaced all the plugs on my ex gf turbo B200... (actually there is a P0301 code I was trying to fix, the car was losing power on rainy day... the problem was the ignition coil, but since the car is over 100k, so it is good to change the plugs too) it took me more than 3 hours to get it done. There is literally no space at all due to the turbo unit. I think for the non turbo B the work will be much easier.

Just my 2 cents that if you are owning a turbo B, and want to replace the plugs by yourself, and if you are not that handy, you should have this done at a garage. I think it is very hard to take out, and to put back the plug cables without that special mercedes tools (I am lucky that I can borrow it from my friend). Also you will need a special plug socket with the u joint built-in to change the plugs. I have been doing tune up for most of my cars for more than 20 yrs, this is the toughest plug change I have ever done!

#76 ·
Yay...Winger..........at last someone else has done their own plugs.:thumbsup:

It "looks" like the B Turbo has to be accessed from the bottom and a good universal does the trick. The non-turbo's can get access from the top front and therefore a straight approach to the plug. :D

#77 ·
Spark Plug sticky pics gone?

I can't see DEVOURS pics of the DIY sparkplug removal anymore :eek: were they removed for some reason from the 'spark plug' sticky?

#78 ·
Can't see pics. either.

Any more info on this special tool? Is it to remove the boot or something else? I've seen various tools for removing plug wire boots, but sometimes you can get away without them.

Since I have some experience DIY'ing if I get a B I'd rather do it myself.

#79 ·
I dug these out from the deep,deep file. You need a universal joint if working from the bottom, but it's less of an issue if working from the top. The regular spark plug socket works fine in both cases.

I think that Samolia has posted similar plug pics but without the tools.

Attachments

#83 ·
I just changed the spark plugs for my B200 (new IK20 Iridium Power)

All needed is a bit of time and:

- spark plug wire pulling pliers
- 6' extension
- 3/8 micro torque wrench set at 247 inchlb (28Nm)
- 5/8 deep spark plug socket with rubber insert
- anti seize paste
- new spark plugs set

I pulled the wires and replaced the spark plugs one by one

...the plug in the hole...

And the new ones torqued in

And the original Benz plugs, pulled as in the engine, facing the vehicle

And one by one close ups (from left to right as facing the car)

#84 · (Edited by Moderator)
Good job.........one of those plugs seems to have a lot of crud on the electrode and it seems nearly shorted out.

Your FE should improve with the new plugs........:thumbsup:
My OE plugs were darker than yours but without the crud.

Now we have to hear back from guenter and see how his plug job went.

He had >160,000 kms on his originals,... so lets hope that they come out easily.

#88 ·
Your FE should improve with the new plugs........👍
Not quite... I'll try the O2 sensors next... and next the driver... LOL

#87 ·
Actually...Those are the original NGK plugs, and if you turn them a bit the MB star is right there.
These plugs look like they've had a ton of kms on them compared to my OE NGK's. They look like they must have resisted coming out as viewed from the heavy varnish on the threads..........They were quite over due..........

#91 ·
kdbcom.
Having just watched the video on changing the plugs on the 'B' Class I'm sure your right, The W169 'A' Class is the same, what a wind up and more to the point what's in going to cost to get the plugs replaced with other than MB and independent Mb garages not wanting to tackle the job.

Another point the plugs for the W169 A class are F8 DER(R1-102) Bosch MB part number A 004 159 30 03 26, £9.00 plus each in the UK and are single electrode plugs so are they going to last 45000, I doubt it experience with older cars indicates that the forecast mileage by such companies as Champion of 25000 miles for a single electrode plug was almost spot on, with the triple electrode as fitted to the W168 'A' Class they will do 40,000 plus but I doubt your get that out of a single electrode plug without a reset of the gap, more to the point how many of you have feeler gauges any more?, only time will tell but with the cost of changing them it will be cheaper to trade in the car! They call it design, that not what I call it.
Lofty
Albert Rowe, Lofty's homepage. A-class info, wine making, solar panels, Scotland, Canada Rockies, orchids.