Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

B Class Common Problems and Their Solutions

488K views 347 replies 85 participants last post by  DEVOURS 
#1 ·
Howdy,

I've created this stickied thread so that you can post links to threads about common B class problems, and their solutions. This will help us keep the top of the forum from getting cluttered with stickies, and will also be a great resource for new members here at Benzworld.

Cheers,
Chris

Here are a few:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w245-b-class/1323817-check-your-oil-level-now.html
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w245-b-class/1322934-rust-problem-all-b200-bonnets-revised.html
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w245-b-class/1343957-rust-disc-plate-rear-brake.html

#27 ·
Keith, thanks for the link and I have bookmarked it for future reference. We have just returned from three weeks in Hawaii :D where there was not a snow tire, nor a B Class in sight.
What a delight today to start up the B and enjoy its great combination of space, comfort and utility. We had two rental cars in Hawaii, a small Chevrolet which was a piece of junk and a new Mustang convertible, which was also a piece of junk. The difference between the two ( aside from the convertible top) was the small Chev could easily hold our luggage in the trunk - while the larger Mustang could not! :eek:
We took a taxi from the Airport in Vancouver - a Toyota Corolla, with 350,000 km on the clock and it not only took all of our luggage, but was rattle and squeak free - and the only unexpected repairs were recently replaced battery and radiator. :thumbsup:
Now, I will try to catch up on all of the new posts on the forum, while my tan fades away. :crybaby2:

#29 · (Edited)
I've put 110,000km on my B200T in 2 years and encounter the following problems:

Problem - Steeling wheel noise
Solution - Changed the whole rack-and-pinion
Note - I've got this problem when the Bee is 3 weeks old

Problem - Door seal keep getting off
Solution - Changed all the door seal
Note - Problem starts at around the same time as the steeling noise problem and I've gone through 3 sets of door seal. However, the left rear door seal still come off as of today.

Problem - Both front door windows stop half way when using the 'auto' closing function.
Solution - Lube all windows components
Note - Problem starts about the same time as above. However, after a few time fixing it, I've give up. It's still won't close fully sometime now.

Problem - Windshield washer fluid jet is leaking and stop function after
Solution - Changed all the host form windshield washer fluid tank to the jets
Note - Happened only once so far @ around 40,000km

Problem - Starting with knocking noise when turning and eventually it will sound when going straight.
Solution - Changed left front wheel bearing
Note - Happened to me at around 85,000km and I didn't hit any pot hole with my left front wheel!!!!

Problem - Rocking engine!!!
Solution - Changed the whole fuel injector assembly
Note - Just happened to me (@ 110,000km)!!!

That is all I've got so far. One more note, I do all my service at Mercedes dealer and everyone over there know my name already. I've also purchase the extended warranty and I've already got enough repair after that to make my extended warranty worth it...

#31 ·
Welcome aboard evildoer!!
Thank goodness you bought the extended warranty.
You have more cliks than anyone else so far from past postings. If you fill in your profile we'll know where you're from. It seems that we'll have lots of work on our B as time and distance accumilate from the problems that you've had.
I wonder if the window problem is a software problem.
Maybe your area has a bad fuel problem.
Good luck and tell us more. 👍
Yeah, it's a good thing that I've bought the extended warranty...my B200T is my work horse and I usually put between 150km to 200km on it everyday...oh, forgot to add, I fuel my B200T with ESSO's 91 octane rating fuel only...

I have no idea about the window problem as well and I don't think they know what's wrong either...what happened is that the window will close and then it think it hit something, stopped halfway, and open it up a bit again...maybe the sensor is a bit sensitive...

#32 ·
The window issue you describe is not limited to the B-class. The MB fix is to re-sync the windows (instructions are in the owners' manual). Like you said it may be an overly sensitive sensor feeling that there is something blocking the window and it is doing its job by going back down.

#35 ·
The accessory window blinds for the rear are pretty crappy, truth be told. The RH one in our car became unstuck from the adhesive of the roller that it retracts onto, and had to be replaced under warranty a few weeks ago.

Then on this present trip to the Southern USA, the LH one has lost its spring retractor and so it is rattling mercilessly when not in use and also has to be jammed/manually rolled into its shroud when not in use. Another warranty replacement, coming up.....

If the replacements die in 6 months too I will be seeking a full refund. At $130 each, they ought to be damned near perfect.

#36 ·
PROBLEM OF MY B170 (B-CLASS)

On February 2007 we bought B170 in less than 5000km theres a smell a really bad smell it likes "hot oil in a salon" we brought the car at Cats Motor Philippines where the car has been purchased. Since then until now the problem has not been solved. Please help us what to do. Thanks

#40 · (Edited)
I don't know if it's common but I had some nice fresh white chewing gum on the rear seat after a passenger today was sitting on the grass....obviously it adhered to his rear and then got mashed into the seat.

Rubbing most of it off with a paper towel was possible because it was fresh and soft, and a little goo gone followed by some Ban-it soap, a nail brush and then a thorough rinsing with an upholstery cleaner brought it back to original condition.

I was livid when I saw it there, ground into the Alpaca Grey fabric.....

#41 ·
Lucky you saw it in time Mike hate to think how it would have looked had it dried. Probably nigh on impossible to remove without damaging the seat then. Still it could have been on a Black seat. :eek:

Thanks for the cure :thumbsup:, will keep that info (just in case).

#47 ·
Bought my B200T about two weeks ago. 65,000km on the clock. Going in tomorrow for replacement of front passenger door speaker and the in-dash CD player. Speaker is buzzing at low to mid frequency range and the CD player swallowed my Pink Floyd CD and wouldn't give it back... Shows "no disc".

George

#49 ·
Had my B200turbo for about a year. It's just developed a fault with the CVT transmission; shows an error in the warning display and won't change gear properly. It's off to the garage on Monday, and i'm a little nervous as to what they may find. Anybody else heard of issues with these transmissions?:(

#50 ·
I have heard of a couple that went off under warranty and required replacement but that probably isn't the case with yours. The B seems to be a very reliable car.

#51 ·
we just got a used one 2007T with 54K kms , and after reading all the problems how can you say its reliable lol,, now im scared for what i might have gotten y family into, thinking mercedes is one of the best but maybe a new otyota could have been better, :(:crybaby2:

at least we have 3 years/120K kms of warranty.. and maybe not all, il be checking it this saturday when we pick it up for all the problems listed now im nervouss

#54 ·
thanks, :), and yea im enjoying it absolutely no question about that, its very nice and smooth on the highway, the good thing is that we looked over the changes that had taken once it was accepted by the dealer and pretty much everything from B service, spark plugs brakes rotors windshield wipers tires oil and more, the one weird and suspectful thing was that it indicated the windshield was replaced, maybe a stonechip or something,

Just finished washing the car and will wax once dry :thumbsup:

#56 ·
My B180 is now 1 year and 2 mth old, 21k km on the odometer, and below is what has been done :

at 18k km : steering shaft was changed due to feeling as if the front wheels are dropping off

at 21k km : the tensioner and belt was changed due to incredible rattling noise when the aircond is turned on and the auto transmission is engaged while stationary

unbelievable for a premier brand like Merc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.