"Too much brake dust" - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W245 B-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 2007 b200 turbo, loaded black
"Too much brake dust"

I have 2400km on my B200, and it seems that everytime i go for a drive i need to clean the frount wheels. Is the brake dust on the frount wheels a problem that MB has? I have always driven a BMW, my last one was 330xi and i never had uneven brake dust probles on my wheels. I think it looks cheap when a car has diffrent wheels frount to back.

If i dont find a fix fro this problem it will be the last MB i buy.

jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 273704_Mercedes_P6150003.jpg (56.7 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg 172740_Mercedes_P6150010.jpg (40.9 KB, 248 views)

Last edited by goodguyjj; 09-02-2007 at 06:18 PM.
goodguyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Between my wife and I, we've owned 4 MB's. We've had a W201, W202, W203, and our most recent addition is the W245. They all tended to have a lot of brake dust build up on the front wheels. You get used to it - I have a pressure washer in my garage and I regularly give the front wheels a quick blast to help minimize the dust.

I know some people have said they've had luck putting a solid coat of premium wax on the wheels. I've not tried it - so don't know if it works.

I also know they sell brake dust shields that help.

I've always washed our cars weekly so I've come to consider the dust removal as part of regular care and cleaning of the car.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: see signature
Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Tee
You seriously would not buy another Benz due to excessive brake dust?

There are aftermarket pads (e.g. Repco Metal Master, EBC) that produce minimal dust, if you don't like cleaning your car often.
1966 Peugeot 404 Coup Injection, restoration underway
Mike Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Send a message via AIM to Mercedes Benz of Florida Send a message via Yahoo to Mercedes Benz of Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodguyjj
I have 2400km on my B200, and it seems that everytime i go for a drive i need to clean the frount wheels. Is the brake dust on the frount wheels a problem that MB has? I have always driven a BMW, my last one was 330xi and i never had uneven brake dust probles on my wheels. I think it looks cheap when a car has diffrent wheels frount to back.

If i dont find a fix fro this problem it will be the last MB i buy.

jason
Yes MB is NOTORIOUS for excessive brake dust.
From the Engineers mouth's in Deutschland they purposely make the
Brake Shoes/Pads SOFT and the Rotors are Hard. With that combination,
we're bound to receive the effects of poor Engineering planning.
It annoys me to no end; wash and wax a car; looking spectacular; I go out for a spin and within 20 minutes; Black Dust on my just cleaned Rims.
What to do? What to do?......

United States of America
Mercedes Benz of Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: B 200 & Audi A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz of Florida
Yes MB is NOTORIOUS for excessive brake dust.
From the Engineers mouth's in Deutschland they purposely make the
Brake Shoes/Pads SOFT and the Rotors are Hard. With that combination,
we're bound to receive the effects of poor Engineering planning.
It annoys me to no end; wash and wax a car; looking spectacular; I go out for a spin and within 20 minutes; Black Dust on my just cleaned Rims.
What to do? What to do?......

As Mike said, go with different pads" if "you can find them. Different pads can really make a difference. And at the same time you'll notice a ton of rust on the disks even when sitting over 1 humid day. Hopefully we'll find better replacements in the near future!
DEVOURS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Vehicle: 2006 C230 Sport
There is not much you can really do about the break dust. As MBoF said, The Mercedes is notorious for brake dust on the front disc. I have been told that most German Cars tend to put off a lot of brake dust off the front wheels. I just carry a few rags in my car and wipe the rims down every so often. I have my car washed about once a week too.
Best of luck!
CHQpilot81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT.
You seriously would not buy another Benz due to excessive brake dust?

There are aftermarket pads (e.g. Repco Metal Master, EBC) that produce minimal dust, if you don't like cleaning your car often.
I do clean my car often, that is the point. I drive it and it looks like i did clean the wheels. I have had many black cars and i expect it to be dusty after only one drive. But the wheels look like they were missed in the washing of the car. And yes i would not buy another one because of it. I gave it a try because i save about five hours driving time oneway to get service, with in the next year the bmw dealer is opening 45 mins away. so i will start buy BMW again.

and the MB dealer was very hard to deal with. It seems that they didnt want to sell me a car. I had keep trying to over and over to get someone to deal with, I blows my mine that i was driving a car that was 15000.00 dollars more new then the b class almost the same price used and they didnt want to sell me something two drive for the next two years, You see i dont get why i driv a new car every two years you think they would be wanting me as a client. So unless they do something on my first service to change my mine. see ya MB..
Old 09-07-2007, 08:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Lecours
As Mike said, go with different pads" if "you can find them. Different pads can really make a difference. And at the same time you'll notice a ton of rust on the disks even when sitting over 1 humid day. Hopefully we'll find better replacements in the near future!
I know you were not replying to me. But i wash my car every second day. the problem is i do it at home, and by the time i get to were i was going (the reason i washed the car) the wheels are black.

And as far as changing the Pads i dont think so i have never had this problem with BMW. And i have never put break pads on a car, because i get a new car every two years, and i drive very little.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: see signature
Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Tee
If this pisses you off so much, a $90 investment in some pads and a half hour of your work in your garage with a couple of basic tools will make it right.

If you don't want to spend $90 to solve the "problem", then you no longer have my sympathy!

I have seen BMWs with blackened front wheels, in fact I think they probably use the same brake suppliers as M-B. Welcome to the post-asbestos brake pad era.
Mike Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2007
German cars are notorious for brake dust problems. I remember reading on a BMW forum that in Germany there is some law regarding the composition of the brake pads possibly due to environmental reasons that simply has the side-effect of generating a lot of brake dust.

This is not an issue that your dealership can fix as this is the nature of the OEM pads. However, maybe you can talk them into swapping the pads for you after you've sourced an after-market set.
santiago0000000000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W245 B-Class