Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

I have a deposit on a 2018 S550 cabrio - some questions...

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  GusinCA 
#1 ·
I have a deposit on a 2018 S550 Convertible.
I have some questions that the salesperson can't seem to answer, maybe someone here can help.
The reason I didn't buy the 2017 is because it didn't have the very latest and best self-driving assist and accident avoidance tech. I think the new E-class had better tech.
Now the 2018 S sedan has all the latest stuff.
Will the S convertible/coupe have the same tech for safety and self driving as the sedan for the 2018 model?
I sure hope so.
This is the nicest looking/coolest/most exciting coupe/convertible to come from Sindelfingen in a long time... :)

#2 ·
Likely as not, it'll have the same tech as the S-Class sedans. Typically the S (or previously, CL) coupes/convertibles were even more highly specified, as befits their stratospheric prices!

I'll be green with envy (speaking of which, what color?) ... be sure to post photos when the time comes! Have you looked at mbusa.com? Normally there is a lot of model-specific info there, though the 2018 does not appear to be showing yet. They do have a 'future vehicles' page for the sedan, which you've probably seen: https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/future/model/model-2018_S_Sedan

We're going to try and get a coupe/convertible forum up for this model, if demand warrants :)

ETA: There's a Driver Assistance Package that includes the Optional Features below. Still 2017 info, so I realize this probably isn't telling you any more than you already know...

And FWIW, this page http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1108867_2019-mercedes-benz-s-class-cabriolet-spy-shots indicates that an update is planned for 2019 but shouldn't be too major. That implies to me that the 2018 will be quite similar to the 2017, no? But then, this one: http://blog.caranddriver.com/first-...prototype-now-more-semi-autonomous-than-ever/ speaks right to your question, and there's no guarantee that the Coupe/Convertible will be as 'updated' as the sedan for 2018. So, despite my rambling, I'm not much help am I ;)

(Some of that driver-assistance tech is scary to me, but already I wish my C207 E-Class had the Distronic Braking. I opted against it because I didn't like the plasticky grille star that includes the radar sensors but I probably should have gotten over that.)

Back to your question: I wonder if you can write MBUSA and see if someone there can tell you. Frankly I'm not surprised that a dealer doesn't know. It's possible that the 2018 sedan will be introduced in advance of the coupe/convertible, which will then offer the same equipment level, or better.

https://mercedes-benz.custhelp.com/app/ask

Now, this epic/tedious reply just won't be complete without some cabrio pr0n, so herewith:

What an amazing car!

Reactions: gr1nch
#3 ·
HA!
Well written sir, thank you for the reply!
I will just have to wait until the salesman gets the order book for the 2018.
I am planning on the White exterior with the tan interior. Maybe picking it up in Germany and spending a few weeks on the Autobahn... :)

#4 ·
Was on the autobahn yesterday getting my UK reg S350d up to 250kph such was smooth but scary at the same time! Roads I usually go on max at 70mph UK, 120kph Belgian and 130kph French.

For anyone that is new to if you're new to it, some of the roads are only dual-carriage way, which merged into a 4-laner and some have traffic going way slower than you, but still quickly, so be ready to brake (smoothly hopefully) at any time. I had a couple of small cars pull out in front of me which was quite unnerving. All the fast/large cars pulled over no problem and generally progress was smooth and trouble free, with a V10 Audi keeping pace and having a nice camaraderie over 100 miles or so.

That's a very nice colour combination and a beautiful car. My budget didn't stretch to it, but maybe in the future ;-)

The speed limit and junction assist will be a great help I expect. With all the available hardware on the 2017 S-class I hope software upgrades will enable this functionality too.
* Automatically vary speed to changes in speed limit. i.e. set N%, e.g. 90% or 100% of the limit, whatever it is.
* Use GPS and/or cameras to slow car at roundabouts, junctions, slip roads/ramps

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 2017 W222 S350d SWB AMG Line Premium Plus
* Ashford, Kent & Mons, Belgium
Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Oh yes, the Autobahn is a wonderful experience. In the 30 or so times I've been to Europe it's always one of my favorite experiences.
But this would be my first time in my own car.
I love the colors on my current car, Pewter exterior and cappucino interior, but they don't offer that on the S550.
But I have seen the white/tan here often in Newport Beach (every other car is a Ferrari...:) ) and I like it. I will get the Burmeister, but not the crystal headlights...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.