Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Burmester High End system worth it ?

86K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  ronijay 
#1 ·
I'm struggling to find any independent review of the high end Burmester sound system. I wasn't impressed by the Harmon Kandon on the W221 compared to the Bose on the W220, especially at high volume and with lots of bass.

Have any of you either got it, or listened to it compared to the W221 ?

Is it good enough to fork out the extra money ?

#2 ·
I have read a review of it and it is worth according to the poster ,it is available in other MB Forum , mbworld.org W222 Forum
If you're an audiophile and like gadgets like coming out insider the doors this option should check the box as well

#5 ·
"But I am an Audiophile" .... that Audiophile moniker should make you much more critical of the nuances than the typical listener. Your opinion should then carry more weight.. .... and stated as "AND, I am an Audiophile"

I value your audiophile opinion as I am one also, and the best systems I have heard never sparkle and never have depth or clean subtleties...

Bass has come a long way due to younger ones expectations, but even the bass, compared to a true home audiophile system is not quite right in car system.... it may be the 20hz+/- attainability... I digress

Is the Burmeister the holy grail ???

#6 ·
I would be curious to hear the 3-D system, not that it will change anything though as we already have the "base" Burmeister system.

Though I do not consider myself an audiophile (because I don't have extreme high end home system) I am responsible for sound mixing in my church for our worship services and appreciate hearing music in a flat frequency system so that I can hear what the master recording intended the listener to hear. I do not like systems that accentuate specific frequencies and as a result do not like most "off the shelf" systems and would rather build my own speaker system from studio components that provide a flatter frequency response.

The "base" Burmeister system is the nicest audio system I have heard in a car, though I have not gone around actively comparing systems. But having said that, without measuring the exact frequencies, the biggest problem frequency is that it is accentuating bass beneath 200Hz and I have actually lowered the bass setting in our car but this also lowered some frequencies that didn't need to be lowered. Would love to have a 10 or 16 parametric band equalizer in order to balance the sound for my tastes.

Someday would love to hear the 3D system since I hear that it is a significant step up from the "base" system which IMO is the best system I have heard so far.

#8 ·
I do not like systems that accentuate specific frequencies and as a result do not like most "off the shelf" systems and would rather build my own speaker system from studio components that provide a flatter frequency response.
I understand your point..... I think some would prefer to hear a cymbal lick in its tantalyzing glory, or a contrabasoon in its full richness.... most stereo systems squeeze the dynamic range to a point where aside from the frequency differences, they have no other real difference in what reaches the ear. the lack of dynamic range which is present in our new age "digital" media, is lost in most systems and especially in cars. (I would like to discuss "flat" with you off forum.)

It sounds like you have good control over your sound creation at church..

I read in Kratos' comments......... "legendary"...... I like that

#10 ·
I will say this though......the standard system is pretty darn awesome. Best stock system I've ever heard. Which makes it hard to comprehend the higher end version destroying it in sound. Although I have no doubt that it does.

#12 ·
I have heard it working and for Hi Fi in a car it is good.

I used to do all the Burmester service in the UK some years back, their approach to building these things is a little different from the run of the mill.

#13 ·
Here's the big question - considering I NEVER listen to classical music, and most of my music is either Greek MP3 or Internet Radio, is the high end system still going to sound better ?

I've got the Bose systems in my W220, which sounds better than the Harman Kardon in my 2007 W221 or even 2011 GL especially if you push up the bass.

What I'm looking for is clear bass, without the whole car rattling to bits, as well as rich treble.

Do I go for the uber expensive option, or stick with the standard one ?

#18 ·
I just have the base system in my 2015. I listen mostly to sat radio that is compressed then expanded - I am afraid an uber system would just point up the failures in the sound. If I listened to CD's I would think of it.
Michael in Arizona

#19 ·
I like music, but I'm usually the guy that will drive for 5-6 hours in complete silence. That being said, I still opted for the Burmester upgrade in mine. Comparatively to the one in my last S, it's definitely an upgrade.

The lows are low, mids are tight, and the highs are far from shrill. Overall, I really like it.

The measure of a great sound system is when you don't realize how loud you have the music on, because the clarity is there. I have never thought to myself, "Wow.. I'm getting a headache, because it sounds like crap."

Let's keep in mind a couple of things though..

1. I usually listen to my memory card (192 K MP3 files) or Spotify.
2. I don't listen to any radio whatsoever.
3. I gave up on CDs a long time ago.

When listening to Spotify (even with the highest quality setting), I feel like the Burmester has more to go and the limiting factor is Spotify. Yes.. It's that good.

Worth the upgrade? Seriously.. It's the one thing (next to navigation) you're going to use in your car every time you get into it.

I'm ok with dropping cash on a soundsystem up to ~10K, but after that I would have to think about it.

My personal opinion is yes.. worth the money.

#20 ·
I have been enjoying the Burmester system in my 2015 S class loaner, the sound is AMAZING, compared to the Bose in my SL and the H/K in my 600.

I find the sound is best when using a CD or iPhone. My music ranges from Mercy Me, Evanescence, the Eagles, Nelly, Edith Piaf, Nina Simone, Thomas Bergersen, Rascal Flatts, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.....you get the point, but each one has a much richer sound with the Burmester and even minor tweaks are notable and one can tune the system to please anybody's taste.

#22 ·
Encompassing

After spending a few days with the 3D version of Burmester and the 3 separate settings that produce the "3-D" sound via 3 overhead speakers is nothing short of amazing. Its crisp and volumous which is difficult inside of a car to hear specific "studio" sounds in such a small space but they pull it off; 24 speakers 24 separate amplifier channels totaling 1,540 watts. The bass is pure not overwhelming giving the passenger a taste of 3-D optimized depending where you are seated. Thats correct the sound is optimized depending on the seat you desire! Its an expensive ($6,400) option, yes but so is the car! Go for it you won't regret it. Besides you gotta love those tweeter's rotating 360 degrees when you turn on the system.

#24 ·
I purchased the C300 on September 5, 2014. The only options I did not get is the V6 and Sunroof.
I had 2 MB E class before with the Harmon Kardon Sound system so I think I'm a good judge.
The Burmeister absolutely blows away the HK in sound depth and clarity. I compare the 2
radios to a MB vs a VW. Not even in the same universe. By the way, HK got desperate. BMW
is now using it as their high end radio and it's lousy. Another option in the C Class I highly
recommend is the air Suspension. With out it you can not change the driving dynamics of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.