Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Finally got sd connect

3K views 25 replies 3 participants last post by  Tyrone 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where the plug to diagnose the the can bus lines using the 8 pin plug is located?

#3 ·
Ran a quick test and one of the first things I noticed was that the command was not present ! After a few test I came to this page that shows a Fault on gps. All zeros on longitude and latitude. Does anyone know what would cause my gps to stop reading? It worked fine until I hooked an old I pod to the cable in the glove compartment

#5 ·
I would say your antenna perhaps..Still, the COMAND should still show up and have some sort of communication. There are more things than just GPS once in the COMAND section.

Did you try to delete/clear the code?
Does it state that is a current or just memory fault code?

#6 ·
Thank you Arlind86b for your willingness to always help sir. You're the reason I even have star diagnostics!! Sorry for the delayed response. No there are actually no codes for the comand. It says it can't communicate with control module when I press f3 after starting optical ring for COMAND. It shows that all of these are "not present" but they should be.

Attachments

#7 ·
Ah I remember you...Did you figure out the problem with the suspension and the headrest?
You have actually caught me at a good time regarding your comand issue because I have opened mine completely to possibly repair the DVD changer lens as it won't read any discs. I have done a lot of comand testing with mine as well as a 2nd unit that I ordered used from ebay as a backup which happens to have another issue.

This is what I've learned from my troubleshooting and hopefully you can rule-out some questions you might have yourself.

The comand unit has a system saved in a hard drive. The hard drive can actually be swapped to a different comand between 07-09 (AKA COMAND NTG 3.0 .Years 2010+ have a COMAND NTG 3.5 and won't work as the comand unit itself is completely different)

The hard drive is a 20~30GB toshiba laptop hard drive (2.5").
The unit can be upgraded to the latest firmware (not maps) and will fix some bugs as well as enabled the 'VIDEO' button next to NAVI as well as live traffic with birds eye view.
-------------------------

When i removed the comand unit for repair, i had to drive the car without the unit in the car for a few days.

Obseravatiion was:

NO COMAND - you can't see anything in the screen,
- You can't control seat lumbar or massage, change songs etc. via comand
- Climate Control WORKS when using the buttons on the dash
- Rear Sunshade goes UP and Down without comand plugged

DIFFERENT COMAND UNIT- (installed one from a different car 07-09)
- it will load Navigation and pickup position
- it will load time from previous car
- A.C and Climate work COMAND Center Dongle
- Everything works except seats
**If previous car didn't have massage seats, your won't run massage seats. Seats might need to be readjusted.
**If previous car has an option your car doesn't have, that option won't work at all.

--Bringing this up because it appears some people think that No COMAND communication means nothing works in the car unless the unit is plugged. That is not true.
It actually controls only the HVAC, AUDIO, NAVIGATION and phone.

Everything else works without COMAND including your suspension - Raise up and down with the button.
Sunshade also goes up and down without any issues.
This would rule out the idea that comand not working means suspension control module not communicating per say.

--------
Related to your issue - The GPS not receiving a signal after iPOD plugin (I also have the IPOD plug) it is very possible the GPS BLUE antenna wire came loose. I would pull the COMAND out (super easy to do with the right start screw driver) and check the cables.
I WOULD 100% remove the iPOD unit out located behind the comand unit..assuming we're talking about the ipod interface.

I think you might have moved the iPOD cables around or pulled them that it might have disconnected the GPS Antenna wire.

The other thing that crosses my mind is intermediate LOSS of POWER.
I just replaced my trunk battery on my 07 and car had similar symptoms prior.
I would start the car and could not raise my car. Press the RAISE button and nothing.
Turn off the car and turn it back on, everything back to normal.
Also the clock would roll back sometimes at random.
The radio would also restart when i would get in the car as if the power cut out.

I tested the battery and it held power at 12V for only 1 minute then it would drop at 10.
After the battery replacement, the car lost all the weird symptoms.
It was a difficult problem to diagnose because when the car starts, it uses a different battery and once it starts, it automatically charges the battery in the trunk which in return, acts as if it's in good working order.

Check
1- Cables behind the COMAND unit
2- trunk battery (if you have a decent

Enjoy my small projects that turn into never ending life time events :(

Attachments

#8 ·
Thanks again Arlind86. Unfortunately I haven't resolved those issue yet but im sure I will soon with the help of this tool you've advised me to get and this forum that I have learned from for so many years. Let's see for now I guess I'll start with the COMAND. I did take the COMAND out and I only unplugged the single cable from the interface that goes to the glove (30 pin plug iPod). Should I disconnect the whole interface from the back of the COMAND? 2) is the GPS cable the one at the bottom of the COMAND with the little screw? After reading your last post I think the problem may be in the firmware and the COMAND update would solve a lot of my problems including the issue of not switching from sports mode. Is it possible for "me" to do with star? Where can I get the disk if so? The issues you had with the COMAND out sound like the same problems I'm having currently. My instrument cluster reads "---" on telephone, navigation and audio. My clock did rewind when this first occurred and I haven't been able to set it since. My navigation reads in my garage no matter where I am. I think it's because my car was in the garage when I hooked up the iPod and this all started.... 3)My command and a couple of other units are not present how can I make them present? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

#11 ·
I think I know why your car goes into SPORT mode.

When I had my COMAND unplugged for a few days and driving around with no COMAND/RADIO, my car would default in SPORT mode automatically.

I can't recall if I was able to change it to COMFORT...I have my COMAND plugged right now but I believe I WAS NOT able to switch to COMFORT unless COMAND was plugged.

The sport mode issue is actually not an issue but is happening because COMAND is not communicating. The default driving mode is Sport.

I did a quick search on the error messages you have and it's pointing to the AMPLIFIER.

The GPS Antenna is the cable that has a blue end.(I don't recall any cables having a screw on them)
I would completely unplug the ipod interface and unplug and re-plug all the cables in the back.

The codes you currently have that will show up even after clearing them are the CAN communication error.
Assuming all the plugs are fully inserted, I would check your AMP. The error codes also are pointing at your AMP.

Check your trunk for water and your footwell on the passenger side.

Look into this two links for a better understanding. Personally I'm leaning more towards the AMP now.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Hipo64/2012-02-03_034714_121212.jpg

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Hipo64/2012-02-03_034848_121212.jpg

PS. Regarding updating the firmware, It is a disc the dealer uses.
You need to make sure the DVD player doesn't have issues reading the disc.
The disc is inserted to SLOT 1, Xentry/DAS scanned needs to be plugged in.
You go to the COMAND and select UNIT ADAPTATION.

For someone like us with a personal MB scanner, we need to have offline programming enabled which the newer version of DAS doesn't have it.

So in short, even if you the telematics disc the dealer has, you need to make sure your Software has ONLINE/OFFLINE adaptation enabled(like I said most don't including mine)

My dealer wanted to charge me $120 to update the telematics which is very reasonable...but my issue is the DVD player won't read discs at this point.

#12 ·
Thanks again i really appreciate your help.I'm going to take the unit out and follow your advise and see if that works. How can I tell if I have offline coding on my star? I purchased it from a shop owner who didn't repair enough Mercedes to keep it. Can you describe or send a pic of the plug that needs to be unplugged on the back of the unit to disconnect the interface completely.

#14 ·
I am at work. Give me a few hrs I will post the plug and pics I took of my COMAND out.
For offline coding, you should have a SIM Xentry icon...not sure what version you have of xentry or what windows you're on...XP or WIN7.. If you can open that, it will act as if you have a car connected but it just simulates what options you would be able to see.

In short, if you go to COMAND, go to UNIT ADAPTATION, you should be able to see ONLINE and OFFLINE coding. It will then tell you insert the CD and hit next..being that you're in the SIM MODE, it will be able to go to the next step as it acts as if you already inserted the telematics CD in the car. You will get the option for ONLINE or OFFLINE coding. If you hit OFFLINE, it will go thru if you have the OFFLINE XENTRY coding enabled and configured. Otherwise it will give you an error message. The SIM function is there to tell you what steps you need to take and what functions are possible with the software version you have.

Keep in mind, UNIT ADAPTATIONS usually require a programming. Some units can be ADAPTED without too much hassle. You won't even get prompted for any ONLINE or OFFLINE option. The Suspension/strut for example is such.

The COMAND on the other hand, requires OFFLINE/ONLINE Coding. Online Coding is only available from the dealer.

Did you take any pictures of the ipod connector you had? When the dealer installs the ipod interface, they remove 2 fiber optic cables that are suppose to connect to the COMAND unit.

They install the 2 fiber optic cables (look thicker then rest of the cables and have a red light coming out of the end) to the plug of IPOD interface.

The interface has 2 endings, one connects to the back of the COMAND, the other end connects to the car's Harness coming from inside the dash. The iPOD interface also has the long cable that has the 30pin ending which comes out the glovebox. This cables connects to the IPOD interface unit with an Ethernet cable. If you removed the ipod interface, make sure the 2 fiber cables are plugged back to the OEM plug and not just hanging.

It is this unit here:
MERCEDES W221 S65 IPOD I POD INTERFACE KIT WIRE HARNESS MODULE B67824245 OEM S63 | eBay

#13 ·
I completely unplugged the iPod interface and no change. I checked for wetness and my drains are clear. My next task is the check the amp like you suggested. What did i say or you read to lead you to that as a possibility or how should I go about checking to see if it's the amp. I remember reading something about the little loop plug thats used to test your system but I thought that was for no sound.

#16 ·
Arlind86 thanks for all the time you've spent helping me and many many others like me... My audio works perfect (except the iPod interface in which I never tried to use until the day this started) in other words im pretty sure that somehow that corrupted my COMAND. Everything worked until I plugged it in. I read on another forum that the dealer replaced this interface and a week later same problem I'm having occurred again took it back and had to wait for Germany to send some updated version of this interface after that, problem solved. I tried to pm the guy to get the updated interface # but no response... It was an old post. Here are pics of what I disconnected. And I did not take those two wires out of the harness in the COMAND plug. I left them and unplugged the interface itself. Could this be my problem? And I didn't know if the cable with the green k or x could be removed without removing the Little screw beneath it.

Attachments

#17 ·
If someone could tell me how to change these "actual" configurations from not present to PRESENT I'll be on my way to the solution. I thought Arlind86's solution would work but star can't communicate with either of the control units listed not present.

Attachments

#18 ·
Arlind86 do you think the two yellow wires with the red plastic on the ends that I left plugged in the COMAND is preventing communication with COMAND through star? Are there two more wires somewhere that need to be there instead. Your help is always appreciated!!

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
Hi Tyrone,

I appologize for the late reply, I have been away from my computer for days.

I happen to configured my COMAND recently (because when I got a 2nd hand COMAND , it came from an S600 with different options than my S550.) got to the same screen that shows the ACTUAL and SPECIFIED columns.

That particular screen you see with the PRESENT/NOT PRESENT options, is not there so you can make any changes or configurations.

It simply shows what modules are in the car (present) in the ACTUAL column, and what the COMAND has Enabled from the last time it was FLASHED/UPDATED via STAR - shown in the SPECIFIED column.

For example, when i plugged a 2nd COMAND unit from another w221 on mine, the other car had read A/C Enabled.
When I scanned with STAR and got to the same screen you're in, under the ACTUAL column I had rear A/C 'NOT PRESENT' because my car does not have such module/option.

However, under SPECIFIED column, It showed it was ENABLED.

The car senses your COMAND has an option ENABLED that is not suppose to be there and when you hit F5 (I believe) to adapt the unit, It fixes the changes -it enables and disabled the options that are present to your car as far as COMAND Controls go. The reason because you're getting a bunch of NOT PRESENT options, it's because your car doesn't communicate with those particular modules and such it thinks they are not Available/Present.

This also fixed the message seats for mine, as the 2nd COMAND i plugged in did not have massage seats. When I hit F5 it updated everything to what my car had.

---
By the way,

YOU HAVE TO ABSOLUTELY CONNECT THE 2 FIBER CABLES to the COMMAND. I might have found your own problem if this is the case...

Look at the black plug, the side on the actual plug can slide out which allows the cables to be removed.

Those two cables should go into the cable that comes out the car harness and not the iPOD unit.

When the dealer installs the iPOD interface, they remove the 2 fiber cables and plug them to the ipod plug female plug.

If I remember correctly, on the same big black plug the 2 fiber cables connect on the IPOD kit, there is also another 6-8 wire plug inside the same big plug.

From your pictures I can not tell if the 2 wires are connected to the female plug that is from the iPOD kit or the plug that is in the car.

You want to have all the plugs connect directly to the back of the COMAND without daisy chain off the iPOD interface.

If you have it connected from the IPOD interface, you have to remove the 2 fiber cables and the little plug from the iPOD harness and connect them to the car Harness plug, which then connects to the back of the COMAND. (not sure if I'm making sense there)

Look closely at the Big black plug you have pictures. It has the sidings that open/slide open for the smaller plugs/wires to come out.

Your iPOD kit should be completely disconnected and have no wires connected from the car. It should literally be able to be pulled out of the system (you can plug it back in there at a later time). You don't necessarily have to remove the IPOD wire in the glovebox, as long as the interface(big black box) is completely disconnected from the car.

This will be my starting point. To make sure the iPOD interface is not interfering with the COMAND. If the problem persists, you might have to check each wire harness and make sure they are connected fully. It seems like your COMAND is not getting connection from one of the modules.

#20 ·
Arlind86 I truly appreciate your help and very grateful that you spent so much time helping me resolve these issues. I'm going to check it out when I get home and hopefully this will solve my problem... By the way the picture of the harness with the 2 thick wires was removed from the back of the COMAND. I only unplugged the plugs that connect directly to the iPod interface and removed the box. I never touched the two wires in the plug on the back of the COMAND. That's probably my problem.

#21 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED!! Arlind86!!! Thank you sir for all the time you've invested in making sure you explained in detail how to properly diagnose and repair my problem. I truly appreciate you and others like you who do so much to help others. And whoever the genius was that started this forum... I followed your advice and took the plug from the COMAND replaced it with the plug that was still connected to the iPod wiring harness slid the two thick orange cables out and put them in the other harness that i connected to the back of the COMAND. Presto!! Problem solved

Attachments

#22 ·
Thanks again gentlemen. This all started when I tried to use the iPod plug in the glove for the first time since I've owned the car but I'm happy to report... After "completely" removing the iPod interface, everything is functioning as it should including my sports/ comfort button, rear headrest & massaging seats. The clock finally corrected itself and my instrument cluster reads as it should... What a relief!!!
Arlind86 you are a good man sir thank you again. I have a couple more bugs to fix but for now, I think I'll have a cigar and enjoy the $$$ I've saved since taking your advice and buying STAR. I owe you a cigar too sir. Lol Thanks again

#25 ·
Hey Hey, I am glad you got it resolved. The dealer would have probably charged you an arm and leg for plugging and unplugging a couple of cables. I love me a happy ending.

Regarding the suspension ride height, now you're talking my language.

When I got SD Connect, first thing I tried to do is lowed my car..
I ended up put some random inclination numbers which left my car doing the 3 wheel motion :)
I had to go to the dealer to get my car leveled properly as they have the tool to read the control arm inclination numbers. When I told the mechanic I put random numbers, he started laughing at me. My driver's front was higher than the passenger front and rear.

I still want to lower mine. If you find any inclination numbers that work for you let me know. At this point, I think I am going to spend the money and get the adjustable lowering links which give you the ability to lower the car with very little tweaking on the go.

#24 ·
Skylaw that's the very least one can do is post the solution for those with similar problems and for all the research and time that you and others like you contribute to help other people. I've learned from you and your post for about the last decade it seems. Many thanks sir. Since I have the pleasure of chatting with the master of w220 and 221's could you tell me the stock ride height for 07 s550 sport my next task is to recalibrate ride height since I ditched the 22s that came with the car. and maybe some basic inclination angles to plug in for the absence of the romess tool. Tia

#26 ·
Yes Arlind86 you making it clear that the complete iPod integration "harness" "must" come out of the car is what saved me from going to the stealership to get robbed. This pic helped as well. Apparently when the iPod integration goes haywire it prevents communication with Central operating unit, ac display on COMAND, screen swivel, and steering wheel buttons. Rerouting those two thick orange cables directly to the back of the COMAND reinstates this communication. As soon as I get inclination angles you will be the first to know. Do you know what your ride height is currently set at? I need to lower mine a bit since I finally got rid of the 22s. When finances permit I'll buy some 20 inch amgs but for now it's just the 18 inch factories.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.