Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Butch1244

621 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Skylaw 
#1 ·
I own a 2011 S550 and purchased the Navigational disks to update my system from a local dealer here in the Atlanta area. I attempted to begin installation of the disk at the dealership and got a message asking for a six digit code. I was told by the salesman in the dealership I could install it myself, but after 6 techs checked it out I was told they couldn't get the 6 digit code. I don't have a clue who they tried to contact and they wouldn't say, only come back in a week and a half for them to install it. My first question to the group is
1#. why didn't the dealership know what to do before selling me the Navigational DVD's and
2#. does anyone here have any idea what the 6 digit code is????
I hate being a patsy/sucker for anyone
Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!:confused:

#2 ·
Normally the code should be included with the software, in the sleeve where the disc resides.

That was some years ago, however, and MB may have changed how they do things.

To be perfectly honest, and others will echo what I'm about to say, the MB navigation is always a step behind... When you consider the power of your smartphone, and the fact that its maps are updated much more frequently (and for free), it's head and shoulders above anything MB has offered in terms of navigation.

Granted, most folks in their S-Classes don't want cell phone cradles, which is why they opt for updating the MB nav simply to maintain aesthetics in the vehicle.

If the dealership can not help you, perhaps try another. If you could fill out your profile so we know where you are, local members to you may be able to help more. On the other hand, if another dealer doesn't work, escalate the situation and go directly with MBUSA; show proof that you've purchased the software and that no code was given. They should either find a code that hasn't been used before (these are like software product license keys), or they should refund your money.

Good luck!

#3 · (Edited)
The answer is HERE. I have no way of knowing what your dealership was thinking. If they cannot generate the PIN code (license key) by following the MB procedure, it makes me wonder if they ordered a disc that is in fact for the 2007-2009 models rather than yours. Those discs do not use the same code system.

The necessary license key code for your model year is not pre-printed on the disc package. It should be hand-written in the license key blocks on the back of the DVD package when you bought it from the dealer; from your description, it probably wasn't. BTW - the disc set itself usually sells for around $45, and the license key is an additional $235 at many dealerships. My dealership charges $250 for the disc set, the license key, and installation. If you bought it directly from the parts desk and they didn't send it back to the service department before giving it to you, they did not do the job completely.The 6-digit code is generated via the same computer used by dealers to access the WIS and EPC, using your VIN and the disc number. The PIN code that is generated can only be used for your particular car. If your dealer's service department cannot generate a proper key, then 1) they need additional training, 2) they erred when entering either your VIN or the disc number into the computer; and 3) they may owe you a refund for the disc they ordered, if it wasn't the right one. Without the license key, you will not be able to update your map data.

None of us can provide you with the license key (PIN code).

You can install the discs yourself, but it is a lengthy procedure and you will need to keep your battery charged. You cannot use just any charger during the process, either, or you risk damaging your COMAND. I bought a small MB-approved maintenance charger for the job, but it may not be large enough to provide adequate charging for a long enough time, and if the battery runs down during the data transfer, it may not be recoverable. It would probably be best to find a competent dealer; Atlanta must have at least one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.