Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Front Side Marker light oddity and HI!

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Tubers 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently became a proud owner of a 2008 S550 Designo Graphite Edition ... soul sled (pics to follow, it's gorgeous.) As with any used Benz I buy I expect there to be a list of niggling problems, the extent of which would cause the previous owner to think it not worth bothering to fix.

One such issue with my car is a failed left front outer radar sensor (A86/1B1). I have Xenty/DAS and was able to confirm the failed sensor. Removing the bumper today to check for possible loose connection or other problem went without issue. That is until I replaced the front bumper and found that BOTH of my front side marker lights are non-functional and that I now have an error on the speedo display stating as such.

So, voltage measured at both connectors is now 0.65VDC, where I would think 12VDC would be normal. Any thoughts on this? I have not had a chance to reconnect the car to DAS yet, not expecting to find anything. Could unplugging the radar sensor that is bad cause this issue?

Love this car, amazing piece of machinery and my favorite so far of the 15 Mercedes I've owned since 1989.

#2 ·
Congratulations - and remember, without pics, it didn't happen! :wink

Is it possible you didn't disconnect the side marker light connectors before removing the bumper cover, and perhaps damaged the wires?

#3 ·
Hehe, yes, will definitely get pics up this week.

I did disconnect the side marker bulbs when I removed the clamps holding the bumper sides to the fenders. Of course, anything is possible. Next step is to follow the guidance in the Star diagnostics to see what the likely culprits are. It's just odd that I'm getting any voltage at all.

#4 ·
Oddly enough when I just scanned with Star Diag, the right front marker is showing as a STORED code whereas the left front is showing as current and STORED. Right front lamp now working! :confused:

DAS results are code 9090 for left front side marker and 9D90 Component switch illumination. Both seem to point at the Driver SAM module, now to find that little bugger and do a physical inspection.

#5 ·
I have the same issue. My 07 did not have the front radar sensors when I got it (they were all missing, I don't know why, perhaps it was in a small accident and the shop never installed them)
Last summer I got all 4 radar sensors with the wiring (The center grill sensor was already in place)
Took bumper off, installed sensors, scaned with DAS and everything worked fine except some hiccups with the short range sensors sometimes it displays I'm too close to something then it goes away...

To make a long story short, not long after I installed my bumper, I got left (driver side) yellow marker and city (corner of headlight)light out . I swapped bulbs with new bulbs and all which are all working ...with the same error message.
I don't know what the issue could be but it started shortly after I installed the bumper.

Let me know if you find anything.

I also notice my steering wheel doesn't always come down after I shut the door when I get in the car...If I open the door and shut it again it will come down..I'm thinking driver SAM as well..
Odd stuff always happens to me with this car

#6 ·
Still no pics, but hopefully can rectify that soon. However I now have the side marker problem fixed, I think.

I took the bulbs out of the signal housing and inspected them. At this point I had the right side working correctly, but the left still inoperative. I pulled the left side bulb, visually inspected it and could not see any issue (eg broken filament, crack, etc.) I then tested it with a 12V power supply and it worked, so I reinstalled it and turned the lights on again. No luck.

So I got a new bulb and plugged it in (with the light switch set to on, not Auto) and no light. For giggles I turned the light switch off and back on and now everything is working fine.

So, I'm thinking the problem was corrosion in the bulb socket or on the bulb, although not visible to my 'experienced' eyes. Why the new bulb did not light when first inserted and the switch on, going to chalk that up to some SAM oddity (German control issues).

Also tackled a Parkronic sensor issue by replacing the bad sensor and now that and the lane change assist are working properly.

Still amazed by this awesome car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.