Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Mount for Headlight Washer Cover Broken - and REPAIRED

18K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Skylaw 
#1 · (Edited)
(SIGH!) I used the headlight washers for the first time over the weekend. Much to my surprise, the passenger side washer cover remained open, and in fact was quite loose. I determined (by use of an illuminated oral mirror) that on one side a plastic hinge post was broken and missing. Even worse, the spring assembly that hold/holds the cover shut is also missing.

The bad news: The hinge post and mount is a molded part of the bumper cover itself, and cannot be separately ordered. The AMG-style bumper cover is around $2000+ to replace.

The headlight washers on my car are programmed to extend automatically every fourth time the windshield washers are used, after start - so simply not using them is not an option.

I sketched out a repair, using a screw having a head the size of the hole on the cover arms that the missing post fits into, that could be screwed into the molded mount. That is, the screw would replace the plastic post. The dealer was happy to drop the bumper and do the repair that way (surprised me! Service Mgr and tech both thought it to be a great solution) - except we need the spring assembly (note: when writing this originally I was under the mistaken impression that it too could not be separately ordered - but it can).

My calls to breaker yards (including LKQ, formerly Potomac German Auto) and pick your parts places have turned up no wrecked S550s. I am looking for a source for the necessary spring assembly.

My boroscope is on order, so I cannot photograph the actual part (from the still-oprating side) - but the spring assembly should look like the photo below (sorry about the quality - it's the best I can do right now). The spring assembly I need is the silver item, beside the black cover. I only need one. Does anyone know of a source of an OE-style spring assembly?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Looks to me that they are both available (checking EPC).

The spring p/n is 0019930120 and sells for between $5-7 depending on the source.

The cover p/n is either 2218801305 (left side) or 2218801405 (right side) + a paint color code to match your car.

Here's an eBay example that includes the spring.

2010 2011 MERCEDES S CLASS Headlight Washer Cover 2218801305

Hope this helps. :)

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
#4 · (Edited)
The Repair

I wanted to try a repair of the broken hinge post, rather than replacing the whole bumper cover. Fortunately, my dealership (Mercedes Benz of Wesley Chapel, FL) was game, and willing to do it.

With the boroscope, I was able to determine that the missing post left a hole behind it, dead center. That suggested that perhaps a screw with a head that would fit into the socket on the cover arm could fit into the hole behind the missing post. With luck, perhaps a screw that was long enough could also be driven into the back side of the structure from which the hinge post was missing, because the portion where the post was missing was thin and may not provide enough support. I located screws of different lengths, and even a small tube that could fit over the screw to hold it at the proper extension and also to keep the threads from cutting into the cover arm pivot (socket).

When he got the bumper cover off the tech had an even better suggestion, using a bolt that was stronger than any of the screws I had supplied. He found that (unlike the support on the opposite side) he could access the back side of the support to drill a hole. Unlike the thin "front" side of the support, from which the post was missing, the back side is thick, fairly substantial. He then machined off the threads on the end opposite the bolt head so they would not cut into the arm socket; the bolt was held in position by both the front and the back of the support. The missing spring was replaced, the arms put back into place, and viola! A perfectly functioning headlight pop-up cover.

The cost was under $350 to drop the bumper cover, do the work, insert the new spring, and put the bumper cover back on - vice $2000+ to buy, paint and replace a new AMG-stye front bumper.

So, here it is, if it helps anyone.

The first photo simply labels the parts as seen from the back side of the pop-up cover, inside the bumper; the position of the missing post is noted (but the replacement "bolt" post can be seen extending from where it should have been).

The second photo shows the cover arms being fitted back over the new and original pins.

The third is photographed as if looking down at the passenger side pop-up (the one being repaired) from outside the bumper. When released, the pop-up cover retracts perfectly into its place in the bumper. To keep the bolt from rotating in use over time, we placed a dab of JB Weld where a flat side of the head was close to the plastic beneath it.

By the way - at least on MY '10-'13, the pop-up covers (the part that fits flush with the bumper when retracted) come off of the arms. With some effort they can be slid off. The arms themselves (and the springs) are identical on the driver and passenger side pop-ups. That can sometimes make it easier to locate parts for repairs.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.