Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

M273 intake manifold - always a potential problem?

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  samosali 
#1 ·
I'm about a month away from purchasing my next Benz and will be looking for a W221. I see a lot of gripes online about the intake manifold linkage for the M272/M273 engines, but most seem to come from the lower-end models (eg W203). Is there a chassis break or model break where the manifold was updated to remedy this issue? I've searched through this site and another, also looked through the EPC (seems to be just one P/N for the whole W221 run), just looking to see if I could avoid this issue.

#2 · (Edited)
I cannot answer with any specific date, but posts 27 through 30 at MBUSA W221 Bulletins to date - Page 2 - MBWorld.org Forums may give you an indication.

In addition, the General Info section of our DIY & FAQs (in the stickies, the blue-backgrounded area at the top of the first W221 forum page) has several other links to applicable Technical Support Bulletins that may be helpful.

I did notice on one site that a 3rd party supplier offers a metal replacement intake valve lever. Instant Video Play: Mercedes Benz V6 M272 V8 M273 Intake Manifold Lever Repair Kit

#3 ·
Thanks, that's some of the same information I've run across as well, although I missed this one entirely;

Konigstiger said:
Service Campaign 2007010004 MAR07 – Vehicles engine running characteristics can be improved with the installation of a modified intake manifold. Dealers will check the production date of the intake manifold and replace if necessary. Additionally updated engine control module software will also be installed.
It seems like the levers can be replace/repaired, however some of the info I see is related to the air diverters inside the manifold becoming coated with carbon buildup. Not really wanting to make too much out of this, hoping it's more of an edge case than a bellwether.

As usual you and Konigstiger are awesomely helpful. :)

#4 ·
Thanks, that's some of the same information I've run across as well, although I missed this one entirely;

It seems like the levers can be replace/repaired, however some of the info I see is related to the air diverters inside the manifold becoming coated with carbon buildup. Not really wanting to make too much out of this, hoping it's more of an edge case than a bellwether.

As usual you and Konigstiger are awesomely helpful. :)

i have seen the diverter flaps break and drop down in the head breaking intake valves so it is best to replace the whole intake manifold assembly

#7 ·
Hello anyone, i managed to improve the intake manifold so it will not fail. Thankfully i have a brand new one installed and my oem unit is in great shape. The new unit had a lever pop out on the left diaphragm so i got the swivel made out of metal along with the 8mm ball head. I have the letal arms and swivel already. My question is after i open the manifold what is the best sealant to reassemble..ive got pics if anyone is interested and i also have 1 extra metal part i made if anyone is interested lmk..