Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W221 2007 S600 / S550 group size V4 battery mystery solved!

35K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  tracvision 
#1 ·
This is an informative post for those who are going through starting problems, this post will focus on the STARTER battery.
This battery is a huge proprietary mystery, every battery store employ (even interstate distributor) has no clue what a group size V4 is. Go ahead and ask.

Last month I had to get a new battery for my S600 and did a ton of research on what a starter battery for the '07 S600.
I've read that for later model years (>'08 ??) MB changed to a single battery design for the car, but this is applicable to my 2007.
If you go almost anywhere they will only know of the AUX batter (located in the dash to control shifting in case you need the car towed??), and the main battery located in the trunk. Advanced Auto Parts (AAP) didn't even list the start battery in their system, even though they actually carry the part. Batteries Plus also did not list the starter battery, but had 2 models for the main battery. Autozone actually listed the the right starter battery along with the others, but they no longer list the one I originally saw as fitting the vehicle, which is senseless. Of course, there is always the dealer, but you'll see why that should be a last resort shortly.

Batteries in the 2007 S600:
Starter (Under the hood) - Group size V4, and some have said any battery with high CCA that fits in the compartment should be fine too. The battery compartment is WAY bigger than the space a size V4 uses and if I wasn't in a deparate situation and owned my Merc for more than a month I would have been more adventurous and bought a larger non-standard battery w/ >800CCA + long warranty and jammed it in there.
Main Battery (Located in trunk) - Group size 49 (H8) & 48 (H6) - AGM battery. Some places also list both group size 48/49 as fitting the vehicle, but I haven't verified if they would (Batteries Plus)
Aux battery (located in dash behind driver-side fuse panel) - Group size AUX-14 - Supposedly used to power shifter in case the other batteries are dead and you need to get towed??

It appears the V4 group size is possibly only made by a single company that supplies the OEM battery, but you can find it rebranded all over the place if you dig deep (I already did so you don't have to). The OEM battery is branded Mercedes and comes in a white translucent case. Other re-brands also come in this white case and are identical except for the sticker. There appears to be a new non-white boxed Odyssey battery by Autozone, but indicated the fitment bracket may need to be adjusted so it may not be a V4 group size.

MB P/N A2305410001 - $190-$230 from dealer, 2yr warranty. I hear you are usually charged labor for intall (@ $140/hr, people report stealership charging $400-$500 total).
Autozone Duralast Gold V4 P/N V4-DLG - $234 list, 3yr full replacement - 5yr prorated warranty, and if you have coupons you can get it for much less and get giftcards on future purchases. Free install.
Advance AP Autocraft Gold (p/n V4??) - $232 list, 3yr full replacement warranty (no prorated). I got it for $180 after a 30% promo code and received $20 towards future purchase. Free install.
AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size V4 V4: Advance Auto Parts
Interstate MPT-V4 - No longer listed for sale, but saw it in some old catalogs.

I would have gone with the V4-DLG because of the 5yr warranty, but as of now, Autozone lists the battery for in-store pickup only, and for whatever reason you can only use promo code for them on items that are shippable to your home (I guess even if you get it in store??).
I went with the Autocraft Gold because I got a 30% off coupon AND it comes with a 50% longer warranty than the dealer, and installation was free. Though you'll have to convince the idiot managers at AAP that that is infact the right battery for your car. They will do a lookup and see the main battery in the trunk that says it requires professional installation and shit themselves because they don't understand the starter battery does not require pro installation.

Pics attached

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for that info, wampa007! Very handy. The W221 went to a larger single starter/"consumer" (electronics) battery under the hood in the North American model year 2010 (and I believe European model year 2009). I am adding a reference to this in my earlier battery thread HERE (which is referenced in our DIY & FAQs).

#13 ·
I bought the Advance Auto Parts V4 . Identical to my Mercedes battery but not AGM. With the online purchase paid $139.tota w NY tax, with free installation on my 2004 SL500 . Advance uses a seperate battery in a cart to power your car and avoid losing all your settings, clock , radio , widows, steering etc. Big Advantage even beyond the $100 savings in price.

#5 ·
I just replaced my accessory battery in the trunk (H8) with an Everstart MAX from walmart as no other store had them in stock without waiting close to a week.
This thing was a perfect fit, had a higher crank rate and I can definately tell a difference.
Also comes with a 5 year warranty - 3 of which are a full replacement and 2 are prorated. I could not find a better deal $122 reg. price - $12 core =$110 Total

I could get 3 batteries for the price of 1 Mercedes battery that comes with 1 year warranty if the dealer changes it...Mine had a 4/14 date on it and would not hold full charge.

#6 ·
Wow many thanks for this! I just came across this thread too because I have 03 SL55AMG that uses a A2305410001 battery that I had no clue that it's a Group V4 type battery. With your research, I just ordered one from Advance Auto Parts here in my area and they have it in stock! Amazing. With a pop up 25% off and a returnable core charge of $22, my battery by Autocraft Gold comes to $128.51 with tax. I'm just tickled here. I put my original MB battery on a charger and I cooked it. Came out to the garage last night and it was sizzling with a foul rotten egg sulfuric acid smell all in my garage. Probably caught it just within hours otherwise the battery was very hot, steaming, and the battery charger was hot too---a receipt for a fire for sure!

#8 ·
From wampa007 1st post:
"Starter (Under the hood) - Group size V4, and some have said any battery with high CCA that fits in the compartment should be fine too. The battery compartment is WAY bigger than the space a size V4 uses and if I wasn't in a deparate situation and owned my Merc for more than a month I would have been more adventurous and bought a larger non-standard battery w/ >800CCA + long warranty and jammed it in there."
:smile: :thumbsup:

I hear you on the non-standard battery w/ >800CCA because there is plenty of room to put in a larger battery than the Group Size 4? Has anyone used a larger battery before?

#11 · (Edited)
Does anyone know if this correct... I had a Mercedes person at the Mercedes dealership (I'm not sure he worked with the mechanics) saying if you have this S series and you don't drive the car much that you can put on a Battery tender for the trunk battery and it would charge the whole system. (trunk and starter battery in sequence or the same time) The Mercedes brand battery tender was quite expensive. In other words he was saying, you did not need to switch back and forth moving the battery tender cables from the trunk battery to the starter engine bay battery. Or have 2 battery tenders, one for the trunk battery and one for the starter battery. Does anyone know if this is correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.