Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fix: Leaking headlight washer pump

21K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Jason B 
#1 ·
***Fix cost: $2.50+tax (Lowe's) and about 30mins of my time.***:wink

Monday morning I noticed a large puddle of washer fluid just in front of my passenger wheel. I didn't want to mess with it because it was around 30 degrees outside. Tuesday morning I noticed two puddles just in front of both front wheels and when I started my car, I got the message "Check washer fluid". It was even colder outside, but I decided to see how difficult it was to tackle.

First, I pulled the front of the car up on my ramps.

Next, I removed the front lower under-paneling.

Then, using something thin and flat, I opened up the headlight washer flap on the front bumper and using a T-25 Torx I loosened the screw holding in the washer pump. (Don't worry about dropping the screw, its permanently in place, so just loosen until its released from the pump.

Next, from under the car, I reached up and unclipped the the washer hose to the pump. If you feel with your fingers, its just a "press" type clip...just press while pulling off (it can be done with one hand).
***Be careful at this point, if there is still washer fluid in the lines, it will pour out...have an empty container handy to catch if you're concerned about it being on the floor***

Once the hose is removed, you can now just wiggle the washer pump out from the bottom. (I read of a way to get it out from the flap opening, but I found it faster and easier to just get it from the bottom).

There's an O-Ring on the end of the washer pump where the hose connects which I noticed was a bit flattened. I was going on a whim and thinking this was the source of my leak.

A quick trim to Lowe's, in the plumbing section, I found this set of O-Rings that were a perfect fit.
Brand: Danco
Part# 96724 (#7 O-Ring) see picture.

Removed the old O-Ring and installed the new one...perfect fit, slightly raised for a good seal.

Then, reinstall...I placed washer pump in place from the bottom and reached through the flap opening and positioned it in place. **there's a part of the pump that has to slide into the bottom of the bracket under the light, you will know what I'm referring to once you initially remove the pump...make sure it slides back into place before tightening the screw.

Now, just push the washer hose back onto the pump inlet until it "clicks".

Refill reservoir with clean fluid and check for leaks.

Install underbody paneling and you're done!!!

******NOTE******
After refilling my reservoir, and running the washer until fluid comes out, I didn't notice any leaks on the passenger side, however I did notice some dripping still on the drivers side.:confused: I read a post of someone saying it could be leaking from the center joint on the washer pump body.:eek

I initially left the car up on ramps with the panel off. Thinking my possible fix was unsuccessful, during my downtime at work that afternoon, I ordered 2 new washer pumps from ebay (they should be here tomorrow). When I got home that night, I went and checked to see how much "leaked" out...well to my surprise, everything was dry, NO PUDDLES OR LEAKS!!:crying

Next morning, still dry with no leaks! Weather warmed by afternoon and still dry, so I put the under panel back on and STILL DRY!

My Conclusion, the "dripping" I saw, must have been some residual fluid that had run out of the hose when I unplugged it and was sitting on top of the air tank which was running down.

--------------
Hope this fix helps some of you that might be facing this issue. For $2.50 and 30mins, it was definitely worth it. Still have my OE pump's and no leaks! :grin:grin
Unfortunately for me, because I jumped the gun, now I have two new washer pumps which I don't need. Maybe in time I guess.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Actually, the new pumps just arrived and I figured i'd share what a new O-Ring should look like.

Also, attached is a picture of the top of the pump which I was describing in my original post which needs to slide into the groove under the headlamp or bracket.

ALSO to note, these new pumps DO NOT twist at the center like the OEM's.

Attachments

#4 ·
UPDATE:

Its going on a week now, and temperatures have dropped back into the 30's and lower, I still don't have any leaks; my washer fluid level is right where its been since the fix. Anyone else who experiences this problem please leave a note if it did/didn't work for you and your symptoms.

Thanks!

#7 ·
JasonB, I can confirm that I fixed mine by simply replacing the O-Rings. Temps here in NY has ranged from 30's,50's,20's and I don't have any leaks or puddles. I actually checked my washer fluid level yesterday again just to make sure and it still hasn't dropped any.

Hey, for $2.50 and about 30-45min, try it!

#8 ·
Several things could cause the leak. In addition to the O-ring, a split attachment at the pump, a split hose at the pump, or a poor seal between the pump and the reservoir could cause a leak. In addition, the leak may not be at the pump at all; it could be at the headlight washers. You will pretty much have to locate the leak.

One hopes it is a simple fix, such as the O-ring. I haven't had the problem on my W221, but did have it on my W220.

#9 ·
I just realized on my car, I am actually missing the two front washer pumps.

I removed the bumper halfway to replace the corner bulb and realized I am missing the washer pumps as well as distronic bumper sensors ( i have the radar in place). I have the headlight washer button as well and when I press it I hear noise but no spray even-though washer tank is full.

I think my car was in an a frontal accident at some point and whoever did the job did not put the sensors and pumps in plate...Go figure.

mgokool, how much are you looking to sell your two headlight washer pumps?

#10 ·
Arlind, it can be difficult to see the pumps from below and if the hoses are there without the pumps, you'd probably loose all your washer fluid. If the car was in an accident and you are missing the pumps, chances are you might be missing more, including the hoses.

Lift up on the flap in the front bumper, and see if you can see the washer heads on each side. (see attached picture).

I don't have the washer switch on my dash, but from my understanding, my headlight washer operates once every 15 times the washer lever is pressed.

As for your question, I paid $46 (left) & $36 (right) for the washer pumps from ebay seller "germanpartsaver"

I'll sell them for $70 if you want them or buy from ebay...PM me if interested.

Attachments

#15 ·
Its fine, parktronic are the 4 circular sensors on both front and rear bumpers. Do you have them on the back bumper also? If not, maybe the previous owner replaced the front bumper with one from a car that had the sensors. If the dealer is checking the VIN and says its not equipped, then thats most likely the case.

The distronic sensor is located in the grille, usually you'll know the difference between cars that are equipped with it and ones that aren't. Cars with it will have a black shiny portion in the lower center of the grille. This sensor is used for the intelligent cruise control to maintain distance between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead of you. This sounds like the $650 sensor the dealer is referring too.

Try posting some pictures so we can get a better understanding.

Thanks!

#16 ·
konigstiger on here helped me with some diagram and locate the part number for me.
It seems my 07 has the Part Assist (aka City Assist) , not the parktronic. It is suppose to have the radar 'square box' sensor type behind the bumper (instead of the smaller circular ones).

From what I am understanding, this sensors work together with the distronic plus long range radar located behind the grill. My car has the radar behind the grill and the grill has the covered section.

When I called the dealer, the part that they quoted me for "stating I need only one of these boxes for the city assist option" is the same part number for the bumper sensor..He said I would need to take it in, but I refuse to have them charge me anything just to tell me what I already know now.

So.. the $650 quote they gave me, was not the Radar behind the grill..was actually one of the bumper sensors...they just didn't know the car has 8 of them ( 4 on the front, 4 in the back) and I need at least 4 for the front :(
If it were the circle type, I would get them for $90/piece.

The guy I spoke to sounded like he knew his stuff but he really didn't. I stopped listening to him when he said the firmware disc for the COMAND is the same disc that has the MAP updates and I'd only need that disc..which is not true.

I don't know if this dealers give false information to make you take the car in and then charge you an arm and a leg or what. I have dealer receipts from the previous owner, that are over $10k withing 2 years...$3k for a front air strut change, $800+ for spark plugs changed...
Hah, someone tickle me.

#17 ·
5-26-17
I have had a leak left front head light washer since early March. After finding your post, one simple question. How is the under panel attached? Screw type fitting or tab type? Putting car up on ramps not an easy thing since I have amg sports pkg. Can be done using 2"x12"s to access ramps. Not sure if I want to scuff bottom of spoiler.
Found your post(s) very helpful.
Mike Kuck
Staten Island, NY
mikekuck@aol.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.