Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Help deciding and advice on w221

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  W202extreme 
#1 ·
Hello all I'm looking to buy a w221 chassis diesel either the 320 or the 350 cdi - I have researched a lot but need advice from someone who knows how it's like In the real world.
I made the mistake of buying a 2005 7 series without research which I paid the price , it turned out to be a mechanical disaster like all 7's - first and last BMW ! ... I have an SEC 560 which I will keep till the day I pass ! ;)

So my questions is , Is it better to buy a newer s350cdi with a higher mileage than an older lower mileage 320cdi ( keeping my budget in mind )
Which of the 2 is more reliable ?
Thanks a lot for you time :)
And hope to get the best advice from the best folks who knows these cars :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 · (Edited)
I have absolutely no experience with the diesels, but the 2012 S350 BlueTEC (first year of introduction in North America) gets good reviews on our side of the pond. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w221-s-class/1652889-s350-bluetec-review.html , 2012 Mercedes-Benz S350 BlueTec Diesel Road Test ? Review ? Car and Driver, 2012 Mercedes-Benz S350 Bluetec 4Matic: Review notes: A perfect luxury diesel application | Autoweek and http://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221/555447-s350-longterm-maintenance-issues.html?referrerid=60539 give you a start. The thread at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w221-s-class/1721556-s550-high-mileage-club-whos.html discusses reliability of high-milege W221s.

Most of the cars in North America will be LWB. I suspect that with regards to chassis, the S350 and S320 would be about the same as the gasoline-powered cars. Differences will be in power (the S350 BlueTEC is turbo-boosted), and possibly in engine reliability, matters that I just have no experience with.

Perhaps not the "real world advice" you asked for - so I hope some owners will chime in.

#4 ·
The S320 CDI is not offered in our market here in the USA. The S350 BlueTEC was offered for just two model years, 2012 & 2013. I can't offer any commentary regarding the S320 CDI, however I own 2 S350 BlueTEC's and am rather well pleased with them. These diesels are extremely quiet and very smooth. Both my cars consistently obtain mpg in the mid-30's, combined highway and city driving. I've obtained 39 mpg on the highway, and this is a large, long wheelbase, 4-door sedan with 4-Matic. Based solely on my own experience I would recommend to you the S350 BlueTEC. Hope this helps!

#8 · (Edited)
Actually, I don't think that is the case. If you mean you have to account for the DEF fluid, (which can be purchased via the WEB at dirt cheap prices for gallons) then okay, that is extra vs the S550 and S66, however, the S350 does not use it at a high ratte at all. So beyond that the costs to maintain should be similar if not less than the gas models. But what other additional maintenance does a diesel model require?

#12 ·
One other thing that perhaps you may consider; The S350 has the OM642 engine which is a V6, whereas the S320 is the OM648 engine and that's an inline 6 configuration. If you're a DIY'er the inline 6 may be easier to perform routine tasks on. From my experience simply changing the fuel filter on the V6 is quite a job because of the need to remove a lot of other items in order to access the filter. One other option might be to wait a year or two and look for a deal on a S250, which has the OM651 twin-turbo 4-cylinder diesel, and you would be stepping up into the W222 chassis.

#14 ·
I have a w221 s320 CDi 2008 for 3 months now, i wanted a s500 but the diffrence from 0-50 kmh in both models Was too small to buy a Big petrol drinker since i live in the major City.

So the s320 2008 is the Best car i have ever owned, its a combination of good fuel economy, performance and comfort.

The engine is Quiet and very responsive and fast when needed.

Driving with speed limiter CC and a Nice song in comfort setting is the most relaxing a car can get.

The w221 is one of the most beatiful and prestegious looks in a car ever made.
The only car better imo is the new w222.

If you have the chance to buy a facelifted s350, i Would say do it, as long as you get a warranty because of higher mileage.
Remember full service history and recipes on previous workshop visits.

The facelifted w221 has a nicer and more modern look, and since the new e-class is on its Way, and the increased popularity of the new c-class, i Would go for the facelifted w221.

Ether Way, you are buying the Best Stuttgart has to present, and you Will never regret.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.