Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2007 S550 Transmission Problems

141K views 45 replies 25 participants last post by  keithericparsons77 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an '07 S550 that I bought new on April 2007. It now has 54,000 miles, so it's out of the base warranty. I've had a transmission problem that has rccurred 3 times now. Here's the scenario: I'm driving at a constant speed of 50-70 mph and I'll step on the gas to pass another car or a pending red light. After a few miles I notice that the car seems stuck in a low gear. When I step on the gas, the car revs to 2000 or 3000 rpm, but it does not go very fast. The solution is to pull over, put the car in park, turn it off, wait 30 seconds and then restart the vehicle. The transmission then seems to "re-set" itself and all is fine.

What is going on here? I've had all the relevant service, including a transmission fluid change about 7k miles ago. I'm afraid to ask the dealer what this will cost to repair. Any insight is appreciated, but I may have to pay the $4k needed to buy the extended warranty cause I plan to keep this car around for many years. Thanks.

2007 S550
Newport Beach, CA
Fletcher Jones Mercedes Purchased and Serviced

#2 ·
You should think seriously about the extended warranty as the normal repair for this problem is a new valve body and control unit, very expensive fix.

#5 ·
I have the same problem too.. 07 s550 108,000 km
Mine started last fall but i decided not to do anything about it since i planned on parking my car over the winter. (i live in Canada).
I will be taking to the dealership to have them look at it come spring...

I did some research and it is a common problem but there is no recall.

There seems to be some kind of solution acording to this thread.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w221-s-class/1499143-s550-stuck-transmission.html

Problem Solved!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dealership reprogrammed the software on the 7 G-tronic once again. This time, they changed the transmission fluid and the transmission filter. Happy to report that the problem is finally solved. The car runs as new. Thanks all for your concern.

Hopefully this helps.
Try it and Please let me know how it goes.

#6 ·
#7 ·
DTB S-B-27.19/118a JUN10 – MY-All, Transmission 722.9 in Models 164, 171, 203, 204, 207, 209, 211, 212, 215, 216, 219, 220, 221, 230, 251, 463 ordering notes for Electrohydraulic Control Unit

221 – Control unit 2202701406 replaced by 2202701306 replaced by current 2202702706

#8 ·
Thank you, this is what I was looking for:thumbsup:

#15 ·
Very good it failed now, he will get the latest valve body and most up-to-date software so should be OK when the car is out of warranty:thumbsup:

#17 ·
I believe this is the 4th valve body modification so I am not taking bets on it.

#18 ·
so what is needed to change in order to transmission working without fault?
My w221 4matic wont go in any gears,its stuck in neutral.

Im reading about repleacing valve body and control unit.
Can i only change valve body or do i also need change control unit?
How much does control unit cost?

#19 ·
I do not know the cost but the valve body and control unit are one and the same.

#21 ·
But do not forget the actual exchange of valve body and control unit requires the use of DAS to program and set the transmission shift points.

#22 ·
hello everyone, new to this site, was doing some research on the s550 and came across this thread, very informative. im looking to purchasing a used s550 and jus preparing for any hurdles i might need to expect so i can nip them in the bud.
since valve body was replaced with new upgraded valve body has there been any recurring issues and did it resolve the problem? also ive been hearing the damage is around $1500 anyone found a cheaper route yet? thanks in advance

#25 ·
The valve body has been modified more than once, I believe the figure is 6 times. Stats are something that only MB could answer accurately but I would hazard a guess at some 30%. Of those we have changed in my company none have come bouncing back, so looks good.

#26 ·
DTB S-B-27.19/118a JUN10 – MY-All, Transmission 722.9 in Models 164, 171, 203, 204, 207, 209, 211, 212, 215, 216, 219, 220, 221, 230, 251, 463 ordering notes for Electrohydraulic Control Unit

Control unit 2202701406
replaced by 2202701306 then
replaced by 2202702706 then again
replaced by 2202703206-88

I had 2202702706 installed in my 08 S550 (W221) in March 2011 and now (August 2011) I was told that 2202702706 is incorrect for my vehicle. It just got changed to 2202703206-88.

We'll see ...

#28 ·
just to clarify:
my issue is having rough shift when the vehicle moves off for the first time after being parked overnight. It is so rough that the car actually jolts.

one week after the new valve body (part number: 2202703206-88), I still experience the jolts every morning.

I am going to make another appointment with the dealer ... I'll keep you posted on the result.

is that the same issue you are having?
a whole new transmission??? is that like US$ 6,000 part + labor? wow ...

#29 ·
my issue is a little different;

My 07 S500 now has 57,000 miles, While driving at a constant speed and then I brake and immediately accelerate, I notice that the car seems stuck in a high gear 3rd or 4th depends on the speed I was driving at the time of breaking. When I step on the gas, the car revs up to 2-4k rpm, however, barely moves. Feels like when you are driving manual transmission starting from 3rd gear or perhaps 4th gear. When I pull over and park the car, turn it off the engine, wait for a min or so and then restart the car then the problem seems to go away. After reading few post I think this is one of 2 issues; 1. reprogramming 7g transmission or the valve body/control unit (part 2202703206-88). When technician plugged my car into his computer the only (F) I see is the speed sensor. I went to few shops and one recommends changing whole transmission (seems hard to believe) and the other shop thinks it’s the Valve Body. I just scheduled the appt with the local dealer and for $180 have them diagnoses the issues but I think they will also recommend new transmission because it’s the for sure solution and most lucrative to dealer expensive one to me!

Any recommendations much appreciated….

Thanks

#30 ·
faulty speed sensor?? check out this thread:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w221-s-class/1598831-221-cannot-engage-p-r.html

as far as stuck in a high gears, if I remember correctly most of the discussion here conclude that valve body *should* resolve that. I think there is only one occurrence reported in this forum for replacing the whole transmission.

unfortunately, the valve body itself got modified like 4 - 6 times.

Control unit 2202701406
replaced by 2202701306 then
replaced by 2202702706 then again
replaced by 2202703206-88

I; as customer; start to loose confidence if this 2202703206-88 is indeed the latest and resolve the issue ....

btw, if you ever decide to replace the whole transmission (new or refub), confirm that it contains the latest valve body (whatever the part number is at that point)

#35 ·
New 2008 S550

So I am getting my S550 with 60k miles on it next week, I did the VIN check and it has the Gearbox 722904 01 287610. I'm buying from my buddy and he rarely drive, evident by the mileage. So unsure if he has noticed anything with it.

I'm now aware of potential issues from here http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w25...e-have-rough-2-1-downshift-7.html#post2695419 about 2-1 downshifts. I'll have to drive again to see. Being new to MB, I currently drive a 2003 Toyota Camry, I was already intimidate in the size and ride to potentially notice shifting.

I'm thinking of asking as my buddy needs to do service soon for him to ask to pull codes from the transmission as well as verify the valve body version and and version of transmission software.

Just trying to be proactive. I'm not interested in buying 10 year old car with a failing transmission.

#39 · (Edited)
thanks for trying to help - but since the OP's question is more than six years old, it is likely he isn't paying much attention to this thread.

Many of the "resets" that apply to the W220 will also work for the W221. I have successfully done the ECU/TCU (Adaptive Transmission) reset for the S550. Here is the procedure (from the "Resets" link in the DIY & FAQs) -

ECU/TCU(Adaptive Transmission) reset procedure: This reset will make your car respond more quickly if it's been driven slowly for a while.

1. Enter the car and close the doors. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.
2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds (some say 10 seconds, the video says 30; 5 seconds worked for me)
3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU and TCU to reset (video says 5 minutes; 2 minutes worked for me)
5. Your transmission will readjust/relearn your style after approximately 5 minutes of driving.

The transmission was far smoother on both upshifts and downshifts.

#40 ·
MERCEDES S CLASS

I have a 2006 Mercedes s class that has gone in limp mode rn and is giving hard shift.

The fault code is see on scanning the car is 2716
When I tried to clear the fault with my mechanic it did go out of limp mode for a bit and start working properly but post 2 hrs after turning it on again, the issue of limp mode happened again

Before this I faced a issue with my car in which it had gone in limp mode and I did not realise and thought it might just be the transmission fuel that's low .

So as a result it broke my ism and I have to change the intelligence servo module which I bought from sino-autobase.com

Luckily the piece worked out for me and when I turned on the car at that moment all was good but immediately after next day this issue of limp mode started and this fault code of 2716 is now a fixed fault code which is current and stored in ECM.

Please help me understand what could be the issue and solution

Pic of the fault code and message attached below

Attachments

#46 ·
Hey Konigstiger,
A friend recently sent me the mechanic notes on his s550 and asked me if I'd be interested in the labor.
He has code P2810 and the mechanic recommended replacing the y3/8y1 module.

The mechanic stated:
Customer states that on the HWY the car will jerk and buck when accelarating around 78 mph. verified concern, on test drive tech noticed that transmission get stuck in shiffting intermettently and goes in limp mode, returned to the shop and scanned system. related codes found in transmission module as followed.

-p0742 actuation of torque converter lockup clutch is not possible.

-p2810 the internal test of y3/8ylworking pressure control solenoid valve has faild.

Reason for Replacement
*-u0100 no can message was recived from engine control unit. *-u110b no can message was recived from engine control unit. technician suspecting an internal failiar at the controler electronic circuit board.

View attachment 2846383

I'm reaching out for your input on my options. The vin is WDDNG71X278063276. Based on your comment, I'm wondering if I can replace just the solenoid, or if replacing the complete valve body is the remedy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.