Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

02 with tapping sound

4K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  doni01 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I took a gamble on a cheap 02 S430 with a tapping noise,

- It didn't have the noise as bad when the car was cold

- It sounds worse in the video then in person

Would a bad harmonic balancer cause this? It looks like it had a bit of of a wobble (doesn't show well in video) or bad rocker arm? My mechanic is backed up so it could be awhile before he can look at it

Here is the video,

It has 158k miles, Any two cents would be appreciated

#3 ·
I will try tomorrow when the engine is cold and see what happens.

When I looked at the car it didn't have the noise but the previous said "new battery all four tires and all four brake's alternator and serpentine belt over 1500$ in receipts"

He couldn't find the receipts so I am not sure if the harmonic balancer was replaced but I wonder if the shop could have replaced it without the special tool and the timing is off? (doesn't seem under powered)

The check engine light is on but the code was P0155 (bank 2 sensor 1 O2 sensor) so I assumed it was just that.

#4 ·
I suggest to use a stethoscope to find out where the irregular noise is coming from.

from the video, the engine does sound like a diesel :(

Hey Guys,

I took a gamble on a cheap 02 S430 with a tapping noise,

- It didn't have the noise as bad when the car was cold

- It sounds worse in the video then in person

Would a bad harmonic balancer cause this? It looks like it had a bit of of a wobble (doesn't show well in video) or bad rocker arm? My mechanic is backed up so it could be awhile before he can look at it

Here is the video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5hFIXvXVuY

It has 158k miles, Any two cents would be appreciated

#5 ·
After replacing most of the front belt system is sounds like it is the timing chain?

I have searched the forum but can't find any info on replacing the chain/tensioner? I know the guides are a major job but how about just the chain/tensioner?

I searched the encyclopedia but couldn't find anything

#7 ·
i think the timing chain might have a little stretch in it. I tried searching the encyclopedia does anyone have a link to the chain & tensioner replacement?

I read the guides are a major pain (at that point it is write off the car or used engine time) so do you think just replacing the tensioner and chain would fix the problem?

#10 ·
Hi,

This is what I'd do before putting loads of bits on it ............

Run Engine until the noise is there, then switch off and remove the Serpentine Belt, fire up the Engine and see if the noise is still there.

If it isn't you know it's an Ancilliary ........... What about the Alternator Pulley Clutch ??

If noise is still there, refit Belt and do an Oil and Filter Change, get the Engine nice and hot before draining, bung in a couple of cans of Engine Flush, and follow the Instructions on the can EXACTLY.

Then switch off and remove Filter before pulling Drain Plug, get as much of the Oil out as possible...........
With hot Engine, leave that plug out and leave it dripping for a couple of hours while you go do something else :wink

Once you have completed the Oil & Filter Change, go drive about 20 miles, then dip Oil, and if it is not crystal clear, repeat after about 500 miles :wink

I would do this before stripping anything :wink

HTH

Dave

#11 · (Edited)
I bought a 2005 S430 cheap ($1300) with the same issue. Quiet as can be on startup and then idle settles into a diesely noise like that, seemed to come from both sides under valve covers. Harmonic balancer was totally shot so I changed that too but made no difference. It had 180k, filthy oil so I did a motor flush and fresh Mobil 1 and filter, drove it a bit, no dice. My money is on stretched timing chain or tensioner issue. I didn't feel like dealing with it, since it needed suspension work as well. I sold it for 2000 and moved on. I never found any definitive answers as to what causes that noise and why it doesn't do it when cold.

Edit: I uploaded a video of my '05.
https://youtu.be/4jNyydNq9_E

#13 ·
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Go to the top of the forum page, above the blue stickies, and on the LHS there is a black button says "Start New Thread"

Click that and then enter a title, then enter your message in the box below :wink

Please complete your profile, rough location and exact car model, year etc this all helps us to give you the best answers :wink

HTH,

Cheers Dave

#14 ·
I'm sorry I did not answer you when you asked me a question I got lost on this forum. The tapping sounds actually sounds the same when I rev it, if I put my ear near the passenger front wheel I can hear it better and it starts tapping after it warms up at idle, and thank you for responding to me I just noticed it actually and I'm on here all the time reading

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Lori if it sounds exactly the same when you rev the engine , and the tapping does not get faster or louder with the increased revs , then it has nothing to do with the engine . Can't be the internal engine components as they would be moving faster , can't be the external components like the belts and pulleys as they would be moving faster .

If the tapping became faster or louder as the engine speed increased then it's related to engine internals or external belts /pulleys

#19 ·
Hey, I just wanted to post a little update to this thread. So I mentioned that my previous 2005 S430 with 170k miles had the top end diesel sounding noise at idle from both banks once engine was warmed up (nice and quiet on cold start, had diesel rattle when fully warmed up). I sold that car because it needed lots of work. Well, my replacement 2004 S430 which also has about 170k on it was doing the SAME thing. And one thing I noticed was that there was sludge under the oil cap - either this car didn't get enough routine oil changes or the PCV system needs servicing etc. And I'll dig into that later. I changed the oil and new Mann filter, and I added Marvel Mystery Oil which someone on YouTube had recommended. Drove it a little over this summer and... noise is gone! I can't say this will work for everyone but Marvel Mystery Oil has my engine running nice and quiet. I'll let it circulate and then do another oil change, etc - we'll see where this goes.

#20 ·
Hi Dave,

This case does definitely sound like gummed up Hydraulic Lifters, which as you rightly say, goes with lack of regular Oil Changes :wink

Cheers Dave

#21 ·
Just ran across an S430 with a ticking noise. It's due for an oil change in about 400 miles, which is about a tankful of city driving. Will try a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in there for that period, do an oil change, and see what happens.

Reactions: Dave2302
#22 · (Edited)
Hi T,

Yep agree /\ /\ /\ +1

Also, when you do the Oil Change, take it for a 15 - 20 min thrash first, to get Oil real hot, then pour in a good Flushing Oil, (I usually use double the quantity quoted), let it Idle for half hour before dropping the Oil.

Take the Filter Out before dropping the Oil too, always, on any MB, otherwise the old Oil in the Filter housing will get in the Sump when you remove it, not a problem if the Drain Plug is still out, but I've seen guys put the plug back in then do the Filter DOH !! :rolleyes:

Finally, I leave 'em draining, dripping, for a good hour + before refitting Plug and filling :wink
If you want to fill it quickly and cleanly, chuck 6 litres down the Filter housing, (before fitting the Filter, obviously) :grin
Then just top up through the Oil Filler Cap :wink

Good Luck wi' it, I've cured many a "Ticker" with a good flush and decent Oil :wink

Edit:-

If it's a real high miler, that's not seen regular Servicing, it is worthwhile to remove the front Oil Pan and clean the Pump Strainer, as they can struggle to make decent pressure on Idle if they are a bit clogged :wink

Cheers Dave

#23 ·
I'm going to do just that.

The S600 TT is not ticking at present. It's got an oil change due in 500 miles; I've already got the Mobil-1 fully-synthetic 0W-40 and new Mann filter ready to go. As a preventative step, I've already put a quart/liter of MM Oil in the V-12 engine this morning. Been driving it most of the day, so it's stayed warm, and I've got to go to the office (half an hour each way) before I fill the gas tank tonight (Costco Top-Tier 93 octane). I'm also going to put some MM Oil in the gas tank at tonight's fill-up. With my best friend borrowing my S430 while I work on her Mass Air Flow Sensor and PCV Valve (the parts arrived last night), I'm driving the S600 most of the time.

An ounce--or 32, in this case--of prevention is worth a pound (or many pounds to pay the mechanic) of cure!

EDIT: that front oil pan...does that require an RTV-type gasket, or is it like Hondas in which they sell a ready-made rubber gasket?

#24 ·
Hi T,

No Gasket, RTV High Temp Silicone :wink

Oh dear :devil .............

Yes, there's nothing quite like working on a young lady's Mass Air Flow Sensor and PCV Valve :devil

Cheers Dave

Reactions: doni01 and cowboyt
#25 ·
Ah, yes, that's how one gets that lovely exhaust note at high RPM, right? ;-)

Thanks, man. Will do, and will make sure that pump is...unclogged. :devil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.